Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor go karting hits Limerick!

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

National Kart Centre pisses all over Delta imo.
    Its not nearly as fancy, it doesnt have a classy viewing area/pool table/cafe bar, its probably colder, but it ticks the boxes when it comes to karting.
    You've alot more freedom without staff looking over your shoulder, you can overtake, and there is a decent enough straight, something which Delta lacks. And if someone spins out your not forced to wait behind them.

IMO delta had a real good shot at making something decent there but let themselves down.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

zig wrote: »
    IMO delta had a real good shot at making something decent there but let themselves down.

Totally agree. Although I havn't had a chance to try out the NKC yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

tommiejoie wrote: »
    Was back in Delta again the other night having not been there a while, and to be honest I was disappointed.

Really? I was there a few weeks back and thought it was a great experience. It was my first time indoor karting, I've done a bit of outdoor before though.
    I wasn't expecting much of the track, the previous discussions on this thread tell you all you need to know. There is NO grip on the track whatsoever. On several occasions I went into a corner, tapped the brakes, turned the wheel and...nothing. The kart refused to slow and refused to turn, to the detriment of the kart glancing the walls a number of times. On some occasions the only way to corner was to slow to a crawling pace, which is very frustrating.

Maybe it's because I'm 9st, but I only had to ease off once a lap when I settled into the track (I was on the lower track). I thought there was a perfect balance of grip when I wanted to power down, and a lack of grip when I wanted to kick the arse out every now and then. I was with two friends my own age (we're all 19), they had similar views. I was in the top three on the track record board, so I'm not imagining it.

And the walls are made of super sticky rubber or something. I was forced to go wide and glanced a wall at one point, and I nearly went over the wheel :pac:
    This did introduce more overtaking, because the line the karts will follow is so unpredictable! Whether or not the lack of grip is intentional is debatable. Personally I'd rather be on a track that is some way grippy with little overtaking than the other way around. But thats just me.

The one problem I did have is that there is no room to overtake, the track is just too technical. The best I could do was stick to the bumper of the kart in front at the chicane of the last corner, and try and slip inside on the straight, since two karts won't be able to compete side by side anywhere else on the track.

Finally, the karts. The first few times I visited delta I was very impressed by the power of the karts but I think they must have seriously turned down the power since then. There's a clear lack of grunt from the karts and it makes for an unsatisfactory experience.

Maybe they're poorly maintained alright. They were grand once up to speed, but there was no acceleration at all to get up there. Mine started backfiring and going nowhere if I eased off and then came back on throttle. I wouldn't mind if I was weighing it down, but I'm probably lighter than the average driver :pac:
    It's also sad to say that the place was empty when we went there on a midweek evening.

Very true. They have all these fancy facilities upstairs, could be some sort of club thing if done right. But it was empty apart from a group on the other track at the same time as us on a Friday evening.
    Compare that to the National Kart Centre outside Corbally which was so busy the same evening that we couldn't even get a time to have a go on track. Looks like there's some serious competition in the indoor karting business in Limerick, and I'm not sure this City is big enough for both of them.

I'm dying to try the Corbally place when I get the funds, from what I've heard it's a far better operation :)

One gripe I would have with Delta is the staff. I was spun on a far corner and waited two minutes to get a push out from the wall, and your man strolled over to me at that. You think he'd have noticed he was a kart short after 6 laps :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was thinking the same thing. I'm following them on Facebook and they are forever putting up weird and wacky offers. €10 for 15 minutes and stuff.

They must have sunk a lot of money in the place but with little return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

They've always had very good offers though, even right when they started. I think its their way of bringing in new customers and trying to get people to come back. It must be working as a previous poster said they were so busy the poster couldn't even get on track

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    It must be working as a previous poster said they were so busy the poster couldn't even get on track

You've mistaken what I said earlier. I visited both the NKC and Delta earlier this week. Went to NKC first and they were so busy that we couldn't get on track. We went back to Delta then and the place was dead, no one there except 2 staff. They didn't even have the lights on on the track.

It looks like delta is in trouble, but €10 for 20mins or whatever it is is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I got mixed up there alright :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Went to Delta last night. Had the Citydeal voucher. Have to say we had a great laugh. The facilites are great. Love the track (went on the bottom one) and didn't have any issues with the kart power.

Definatly going back to try out the top one. Trying to get the numbers for a Grand Prix. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 seamusfamous

I have done a good bit of karting in kylemore and i have to say its a great place,i had been meaning to get into delta for a good while and one of my mates rang me last week to go in so i went in with high hopes as its the same guy that owns kylemore,all i can say is :eek:,the tracks are terrible,very tight and way to much mario kart stuff going o the track is up and down every where my back still hurts from it,also the karts are dreadfully slow i had to push my mate up the hill he hadnt enough power to get up them,i have to say when i walked in the place blew me away its a fantastic looking place,pitty they got the track so wrong

where is this nkc place is it in Limerick too ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mlwhelan

My boyfriend organised a stag party for his best mate in Delta Karting a couple of weeks ago, and since then they have been raving about how good it is, hence I came on here to see what all the fuss was about. They have tried it in a few places in Ireland an seemed to think this place was great craic. According to them they were on an elivated track upstairs and the karts were pretty quick.

I'm looking at bringing my two nephews in this week. I think they're doing something for easter camps, so i'll be checking that out. I have heard about some new place called NKC? My boyfriend said it kind of looks like an old derilict warehouse with tyres thrown around in the shape of a track :) By the sounds of it they're doesnt seem to be much comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

and city deals take 50% aas far as I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

mlwhelan wrote: »
    My boyfriend organised a stag party for his best mate in Delta Karting a couple of weeks ago, and since then they have been raving about how good it is, hence I came on here to see what all the fuss was about. They have tried it in a few places in Ireland an seemed to think this place was great craic. According to them they were on an elivated track upstairs and the karts were pretty quick.

I'm looking at bringing my two nephews in this week. I think they're doing something for easter camps, so i'll be checking that out. I have heard about some new place called NKC? My boyfriend said it kind of looks like an old derilict warehouse with tyres thrown around in the shape of a track :) By the sounds of it they're doesnt seem to be much comparison!

Never judge a book by its cover as my old school teacher used to say.... We had our staff party there last week, everyone had a great evening...

We went there to drive karts, not to sit pretty and be all fancy... Staff are great, nothing was a bother, have been on many karting tracks and these ones really go.... Definately be back 10/10

mlwhelan wrote: »

Been honest I wouldn't care what kinda building it's in or what the track is made from, the most important thing is the layout of the track and the karts and from all the previous post I think there is no comparison between nkc and delta,and seriously you must work in delta or something cause I'm only 10st and the karts were hardly able to get up the hills with me in it and that's after I found a kart with brakes that worked:eek:

I'm gonna ring the nkc place today and try get out for a spin and see the difference for myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brozzie

We organised a group for NKC last Tuesday. We got 30 mins for €20...Great craic altogether - there was 6 of us and everyone had a great laugh!

Track was nice and wide, and the karts were good and fast! Highly recommend a visit...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

brozzie wrote: »
    We organised a group for NKC last Tuesday. We got 30 mins for €20...Great craic altogether - there was 6 of us and everyone had a great laugh!

Track was nice and wide, and the karts were good and fast! Highly recommend a visit...

odd first post

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

odd first post

Whats odd about it? Sure they have to start somewhere :)

L.T.P. wrote: »
    Whats odd about it? Sure they have to start somewhere :)

Exactly, stop been such a moan transmission ur always at it

Still havnt got a chance to try the nkc place i rang twice but there were fully booked up both evenings i tried so they must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

That site lists the locations of the tracks as California, Seattle, Phoenix and Florida. I doubt it's going to be much use to people looking for go-karting in Limerick, Ireland...

Just a lazy attempt at link building

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Just a lazy attempt at link building

Yup. Just for the Admins to deal with it! The post will probably be gone in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭wingnut

zig wrote: »
    National Kart Centre pisses all over Delta imo.
    +1

For me racing is about having opportunities to overtake. Delta is a nice set up but feels like a procession. NKC felt more fast and furious. Both organizers seem are pleasant but I for the fun factor I would pick NKC every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

What are the prices like in the NKC place couldnt find prices on their website?.
    It seems they do laser tag as well, has anyone done this and is it any good?

Advertisement