Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If teachers were on the Covid payment, instead of full wages when they are doing at best 30% work, I'd imagine the schools would be opened on schedule.

If teachers were on the Covid payment they'd be doing no work, like everyone else on the payment. Those of us working deserve to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

If teachers were on the Covid payment they'd be doing no work, like everyone else on the payment. Those of us working deserve to be paid.

So for the teachers on this and other threads saying they are not working ... are you saying they should not be paid?

Like the teachers sending one email a week as per Khasesi’s post ... they shouldn’t be paid, correct?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I am just saying that *in my experience* that a lot of teachers have done very little since 12 March.

This is backed up by teachers themselves in other threads. It is also my experience in my school.

Anyone who wishes can disagree, but the FACTS (from other teachers themselves and not just me) would say that I’m correct.

As mentioned, I am happy to provide links to these other teachers if anyone doubts me.

How many teachers are there in Ireland? ' A lot of teachers ' are doing little.
    Define 'A Lot'. How many exactly and Yes, please link those so I can compare with the number of teachers so I can get a better understanding of your definition of A lot.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    How many teachers are there in Ireland? ' A lot of teachers ' are doing little.
    Define 'A Lot'. How many exactly and Yes, please link those so I can compare with the number of teachers so I can get a better understanding of your definition of A lot.

Just a quick question - why are you asking me this question and not to the other teachers who are claiming the opposite?

Another question - are you asking this as a mod of this forum or a user?

And a final question - have you seen where I say *in my experience*? Happy to have a wider discussion on research epistemology and methodology if you wish.

So for the teachers on this and other threads saying they are not working ... are you saying they should not be paid?

Like the teachers sending one email a week as per Khasesi’s post ... they shouldn’t be paid, correct?

Any teacher doing NO work should not be paid. Teachers sending one email per week are doing some sort of work, on face value it seems insufficient but I don't know how true those accounts are or if those teachers are doing other work such as liasing with at risk families/SEN students etc. I just don't know so I can't say how that should be sorted. I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just a quick question - why are you asking me this question and not to the other teachers who are claiming the opposite?

And a final question - have you seen where I say *in my experience*? Happy to have a wider discussion on research epistemology and methodology if you wish.

Dodge, evade, rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

I'll tell you how you fix it

Govt shows some leadership and decides 2 m rule is no longer needed and we all return to work in September with full classes

July Provision in July are the guinea pigs - if this goes well we should be good to go

Schools at local level also show some community leadership and implement measures to prevent and cope with Covid

I'm ASD teacher with 4 kids at home - I'll do July Provision - no bother

Are you talking about History Queens answer above?

If so, I agree but she is not the only one!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You were asked a question. You replied with 3 of your own :pac:

Thiink I got my answer. Many thanks.

Me? Genuinely confused? I answered your questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

For gods sake. The question wasn't dodged, it was completely disingenuous. "Define 'A Lot'. How many exactly and Yes, please link those so I can compare with the number of teachers so I can get a better understanding of your definition of A lot."

teachinggal123 already stated multiple times their evidence is anecdotal (I have similar experience). If you're trying to imply that they're lying just come out and say it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Pkiernan wrote: »
    One email a week from my kids teacher.
    I'd be embarrassed.

And as a parent, I don't want any more than that!!!Monday email with whatever attachments are needed.Once the teacher is contactable during the week, that's fine.I do not really care what they are doing.

Different measures needed for different age groups, definitely, but for younger kids, I do not want a barrage of emails and app notifications to try and keep on top of.And I only have one school goer at present, my other 2 haven't reached primary yet..I can only imagine how parents with 2 or 3 in school are managing.Or struggling.

I have a question for you.
    Do you think you should be put on the Covid-payment seeing as you openly admitted on another thread to doing nothing? Twice.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112892657&postcount=359

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112900075&postcount=411

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

This thread is a complete waste of time right now. It’s the usual merry go around of antagonistic posting and off topic posting

The reality is that mc hughs plan or lack of it really just faces up to the fact that our class sizes are huge and there isn’t enough teachers to take up the posts even if we tried to reduce them while splitting classes to keep as many kids in school as possible.

I don’t see a solution. Not a straight forward one anyways. And we do need to open. For many reasons.

Some of the things I personally think the unions should be fighting for include:
    1. priority testing for students and teachers
    2. Additional sick leave, any teacher with symptoms shouldn’t be in school (same as students) and yes if that means they have to stay home with the common cold fine. Once they have a clear test they return to school
    3. Cleaners hired for every school. Every school to be properly cleaned top to bottom every single day
    4. Additional sinks and wash basins installed in every school and compulsory hand washing routines in school day
    5. Clear absolute guidelines as to what happens if there is a positive case in a school student or teacher so that the whole school community knows what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

This thread is a complete waste of time right now. It’s the usual merry go around of antagonistic posting and off topic posting

The reality is that mc hughs plan or lack of it really just faces up to the fact that our class sizes are huge and there isn’t enough teachers to take up the posts even if we tried to reduce them while splitting classes to keep as many kids in school as possible.

I don’t see a solution. Not a straight forward one anyways. And we do need to open. For many reasons.

Some of the things I personally think the unions should be fighting for include:
    1. priority testing for students and teachers
    2. Additional sick leave, any teacher with symptoms shouldn’t be in school (same as students) and yes if that means they have to stay home with the common cold fine. Once they have a clear test they return to school
    3. Cleaners hired for every school. Every school to be properly cleaned top to bottom every single day
    4. Additional sinks and wash basins installed in every school and compulsory hand washing routines in school day
    5. Clear absolute guidelines as to what happens if there is a positive case in a school student or teacher so that the whole school community knows what will happen

Agreed, and most if not all of those things were put in a document by INTO and sent to Dept of Ed a month or more ago.

We were led to expect answers and a way forward on Friday but all we were given was wishful thinking and "bespoke solutions" soundbites. McHugh stood in the Dail a few weeks ago, saying there was no funding for anything in Education regarding COvid19 though he was in discussions. No update, no plan to work off, it is disappointing. It will left to schools to sort on local level.

I want to be back in September and despite the virus suddenly vanishing in time for schools to reopen, I will bring masks and use them if I feel necessary. I have lost faith in my Department doing anyting to protect me or my students such as simply provide funds for hand sanitizer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I am just saying that *in my experience* that a lot of teachers have done very little since 12 March.

This is backed up by teachers themselves in other threads. It is also my experience in my school.

Anyone who wishes can disagree, but the FACTS (from other teachers themselves and not just me) would say that I’m correct.

As mentioned, I am happy to provide links to these other teachers if anyone doubts me.

I’m not sure why you continue to work in your school as from many of your other posts , you seem to be the only teacher willing to work. Perhaps you could contact the DES and ask for a WSE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I’m not sure why you continue to work in your school as from many of your other posts , you seem to be the only teacher willing to work. Perhaps you could contact the DES and ask for a WSE ?

She doesn't work either. She stopped in March apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Is there any talk of temperature checks for kids/staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Life has to go back to normal at some stage. The virus is pretty much gone from the community. If it's not in the community you won't be getting it in school.

Stage two has been released in China, its going to be more deadly than the first one.

We will all be doing education from the kitchen again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is there any talk of temperature checks for kids/staff?

Is there much point? Dose of nurofen and in you go. Many parents are experts at this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Madeoface

Teaching, up skilling, conference calls, raising my owns kids at the same time, correcting tests, keeping to my timetable as best I could. I did my hours, I did my job, I was working late in the evening and earlier in the morning to get the digital needs together.

I've done enough. I will not be doing any more. Holiday time.

We're all in this together....LOL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is worse than a deputy with 304 on a Friday afternoon when they should have had P.E..

Teachers have as much right as anyone to be safe in their workplace.
    Teachers are not babysitters.

Closing this for the moment, possibly temporarily.

Re-opening, but PLEASE, this is a Teaching and Lecturing forum, this is a thread where teaching professionals are discussing conditions for returning to work in the school buildings.

If you are a non-teacher contributing, please put yourself in a teacher's shoes. Would your job require you to be in a small room with 20-40 small people, or worse still, a small room with 25-30 bigger people, who would all switch to 25-30 new people every hour? If you would not be happy to accept those conditions for yourself, please do not expect there to be no reaction here, if you suggest it for teachers.

Usual suspects regarding gold plated pension, off at x.pm every day and general nonsense will be deleted.
    Go elsewhere with that.

Suppose we will see what (according to rumours) Simon Harris will bring to the table!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Probably why McHugh was so vague on Friday, as he knew he wouldnt be there long.

He wouldn't inspire me, but that said, surely an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He wouldn't inspire me, but that said, surely an improvement.

He was shambolic.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    He was shambolic.

Never know, if it is Harris, coming form Dept. Of Health, he'd have all the knowledge and expertise to deal with how schools remain open, clean, infection free, ppe gear, etc.

Lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Are these aligned to the Peoples' Front of Judea or the Judean Peoples' Front?

Just what the world needed. Another forum for primary school principals.

Advertisement