Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Subbing

Options
  • 18-07-2020 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, so I have a quick question, I have just finished my degree and I am planning on starting my PME next April. I have decided to pick the April cohort as I want to spend a few months subbing and see if teaching is definitely for me, so my question is as I have registered with the teaching council I would like to know what kind of subbing can I apply for i.e. day to day subbing or maternity cover.
    Thanks in advance.
    H
    Should have added masters is in primary level

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

horganne20 wrote: »
    Hi, so I have a quick question, I have just finished my degree and I am planning on starting my PME next April. I have decided to pick the April cohort as I want to spend a few months subbing and see if teaching is definitely for me, so my question is as I have registered with the teaching council I would like to know what kind of subbing can I apply for i.e. day to day subbing or maternity cover.
    Thanks in advance.
    H

You might get subbing when you start the PME, not before.

If you want to get some experience, do a week of observing in a school or do a 10 week SNA course which would allow you to sub as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Birdy wrote: »
    You might get subbing when you start the PME, not before.

If you want to get some experience, do a week of observing in a school or do a 10 week SNA course which would allow you to sub as one.

Depends on scarcity and subjects in particular. If you are in the Dublin region and teaching council registered with maths or Irish to degree level In particular you may well get subbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If in the Dublin area you will get subbing. But probably day to day. You can apply for maternity leaves but unlikely to be called for interview unless you're in a subject of severe shortage such as Maths or Spanish. More likely to get a longer stint if you had already done day to day subbing first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 horganne20

If in the Dublin area you will get subbing. But probably day to day. You can apply for maternity leaves but unlikely to be called for interview unless you're in a subject of severe shortage such as Maths or Spanish. More likely to get a longer stint if you had already done day to day subbing first though.

Perfect thanks, should have specified, I will be doing primary teaching

Advertisement