Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-07-2014, 09:36   #196
borntobike

Deadly Submarine - I think it was a day for making calculations and let the big favourites do their own thing. There were no pan flat sections or no Caddle Evans. We played the waiting game (deep intake and a waterford accent needed).
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2014, 10:31   #197
goldenboots

Deadly Submarine & borntobike - I think Saturday was a day to just tap it out!
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2014, 22:34   #198
07Lapierre

This might bring back a few memories of one of the more pleasant parts of the Marmotte! For me, descending from the top of the Galibier was the best part of the day!

Http://youtu.be/HOsEcLmuYJQ

Http://youtu.be/HOsEcLmuYJQ

Last edited by 07Lapierre; 13-07-2014 at 21:06.
13-08-2014, 07:50   #199
mp2012

This has been a great thread for all those thinking of doing the Marmotte as I am for next year. I am just looking for advice from any that arranged entry directly, without a tour company. I am travelling next year as part of our summer holiday so will have car, caravan kids etc., and want to make sure I get an entry.

Can anybody that just arranged their own entry via the website let me know how they got on, any info about the application for entries etc. Any info greatly appreciated.
13-08-2014, 09:00   #200
Leroy42

For next year, register on the sportcommunication website now and then wait.

registration is usiually around the start of November, but keep on a eye on websites etc for info coming up to it. Get in as early as possible to register on the night it opens.

The website is fairly atrocious, so be prepared for a bit of frustration but it should all go through smoothly enough (I think it just can't handle the level of busiess at the one time).

I've done it direct twice now and it has never been an issue.

It tends to sell out in after about a day, but getting in early should be enough.
Advertisement
13-08-2014, 09:19   #201
mp2012

Thanks for the reply Leroy42. ON the sportcommunication website it only appears to allow registrations for upcoming current events, not a general registration, unless I am missing something obvious. Do I wait until the Marmotte is an option on the registrations page, apologies for this but really want to be as prepared as possible for entry.
13-08-2014, 12:09   #202
Leroy42

Maybe I'm mistaken so, maybe you can only register on the day itself. In my case I was regestered from a prior year so maybe that was it!

It's strightforward anyway, just keep on eye on the web for announcements of when the reg opens and be prepared to get in early to get your place.

You don't need med certs or anything like that at the time, just choose the non-licence category and click through to choose the event(s). You should receive an e-mail with confirmation of your reg, and they complie a reg listing that is updated, semi-regularly, and you can check that a bit after to make sure.
18-08-2014, 12:55   #203
fat bloke

Epic thread and epic adventure.

What tour companies can you go with on the Marmotte as a matter of interest? And would be interested to know what the total cost was for participants, roughly like, door to door.
18-08-2014, 16:41   #204
07Lapierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat bloke View Post
Epic thread and epic adventure.

What tour companies can you go with on the Marmotte as a matter of interest? And would be interested to know what the total cost was for participants, roughly like, door to door.
I went with Frenchcycling holidays.co.uk.

http://www.frenchcyclingholidays.co..../marmotte.html

The only cost not included is flights from Dublin to Lyon which you can look up on the aerlingus website.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-08-2014, 17:11   #205
fat bloke

Thanks. Yeah, I've read through a lot more of the thread now and the links and am getting a better picture

One thing that would be of importance to me would be bike transport from Ireland - as in a company taking charge of that and preferably carrying my bike in a van or truck. That's really what I'd want from a tour operator set up. I'm just paranoid about very cheap airlines carrying very expensive bikes .
18-08-2014, 17:23   #206
07Lapierre

These guys will transport your bike.

http://www.shipmytribike.ie/

I've always brought my bike on the plane and I've never had any problems. A good Bike box is essential (not a soft shell bag)
18-08-2014, 17:29   #207
fat bloke

Nice one thanks.
Yeah I've done a couple of events abroad but I've always brought my training bike in a hard shell box and left my good bike at home. Last time the hard case came back with a dirty big hole and crack in it. Thankfully the bike was ok, but I just wouldn't dare (personally) risk my good bike. I've heard too many stories from musician and cyclist friends of opening flight cases to jaws dropping and hearts sinking.

If I couldn't get someone to transport then I'd do it myself to be honest and drive, or of course take my sh1t (but still very good) bike .
There would be a gang of us going so could work out well for one or preferably two members to drive over in a van with the bikes.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion