Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

19-06-2013, 10:59   #46
niceonetom

Quote:
Originally Posted by j@utis View Post
I just read this and it made me laugh: “Where do you get your energy from?”.
The best bit: : “Fat is the body’s preferred and most reliable form of energy, which is why we store excess energy as fat on our bodies. Unless you think we accumulate body fat just to make pants fit tighter.” LOL
The "Where do you get your energy from?" question is legitimate and I wouldn't be entirely satisfied with his answer.

Fuelling from fat seems perfectly possible for events that are either short enough to be fuelled straight from glycogen (explosive sports and aerobic activities below, say, 60 minute duration, everything from crossfit to a 40km TT) or so long that the rate of calorie usage is low enough to come from fat burning - IM, ultrarunning, other self-paced endurance efforts.

What I don't understand, and haven't seen many examples of, is people using fat as a primary fuel source for events that fall between these two - a 2 or 3 hour road race for instance which requires the ability to ride way above fat burning exertion for significant portions of time. The glycogen you start with will not be enough to fuel the total effort and fat, even from a well trained fat burning metabolism, cannot supply the energy fast enough to sustain the intensity.

So, is being paleo something a racing cyclist can only do between races? For me it seems so.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-06-2013, 11:12   #47
petethedrummer

Today's video:

19-06-2013, 11:34   #48
AstraMonti

Give us an example of a weeks worth menu.
Thanks from:
19-06-2013, 11:45   #49
petethedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraMonti View Post
Give us an example of a weeks worth menu.
Sorry, I'm not advising anyone on what to eat. There are books for that.
19-06-2013, 11:46   #50
AstraMonti

I am just interested of what you eat in a week.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-06-2013, 11:49   #51
enas

Quote:
Originally Posted by petethedrummer View Post
Sorry, I'm not advising anyone on what to eat. There are books for that.
Still, I would be interested. Not as an advice on what to eat, I'm quite confident I don't want to follow that diet, but still I'm quite interested in your experience. Like others I guess, I do find this diet very restrictive, so I'd be interested in knowing about a typical week of your new diet. But I understand it's a rather tedious exercise.
19-06-2013, 12:17   #52
petethedrummer

OK yesterday.
Breakfast. - in Work
1 sausage
2 poached eggs
2 bacon.
a piece of cheese.

Lunch - in Work
Pork Belly
Leafy salad + olives - some shaved cabbage(i think, it was white and crunchy) with some beetroot. Lots of olive oil.

Had a late dinner
I roasted chicken and had the leg & thigh with the ve g(Onions + Celery). roasted in the tray. I'll be eating chicken for the next 4 days! The joys of cooking for 1. And I drizzled some of the dripping on the chicken.

Had some brazil nuts at various times and a couple of slices of cheese here and there.

Today so far.
Breakfast - At home
2 sausages
2 fried eggs.

1 brazil nut.

actually make that 2 brazil nuts. I just had another.
19-06-2013, 12:17   #53
petethedrummer

3 brazil nuts
19-06-2013, 12:21   #54
DirkVoodoo

My brother is mad into goji berries at the moment. He isn't on any kind of diet like this, but he has cut out a lot of crap, sugars, etc.

His goal isn't weight loss though, he is on some weird "Man of Steel" type diet for a shirtless summer.

Sap.
Advertisement
19-06-2013, 12:23   #55
petethedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkVoodoo View Post
His goal isn't weight loss though, he is on some weird "Man of Steel" type diet for a shirtless summer.
he needs to do more pushups.
19-06-2013, 12:37   #56
petethedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceonetom View Post
So, is being paleo something a racing cyclist can only do between races? For me it seems so.
Probably, i don't have the answers. As I have been mainly reading up on whether this is gonna prematurely kill me or not. I am now reassured that it won't but I have to get through all the books I bought.

I can't comment on my own racing as it has been curtailed due to my bloody hamstring. But I did notice vastly reduced muscle soreness after training and didn't require a sleep immediately after a long spin. During a race I can't comment. Playing football I didn't notice any inability to repeatedly sprint against very fit regular players.

I would have no problem believing that sipping on a sugary drink or taking some carbs post excercise is a good idea for bike racing. I just have not gone down that avenue. And being so innately aerobically talentless I don't know if I'll bother. I'll coast around and wait for the sprint.
19-06-2013, 13:35   #57

Quote:
Breakfast. - in Work
1 sausage
2 poached eggs
2 bacon.
a piece of cheese.

Today so far.
Breakfast - At home
2 sausages
2 fried eggs.
Sausages can't really be considered paleo/ primal/ketogenic because of their usually high gluten content (gluten being one of the problems associated with grains)
Thanks from:
19-06-2013, 13:38   #58
smacl

Quote:
Call it Atkins, paleo, primal or whatever..... it is a very high (saturated) fat, low carbohydrate way of eating.
Sounds more Atkins than Paleo. We had a few people at work who did the Atkins diet when it came out, my only advice would be to stock up on air fresheners and leave the windows open. Paleo is more about raw and unprocessed foods, though is also low carb. I've a few friends from the martial arts community who swear by it, and seem to thrive on it. I'd give it a go myself, if they could just find that ancient tribe that also drank a gully load of beer.

Any way, best of luck with it, and looking forward to reading how it works out for you.
Thanks from:
19-06-2013, 13:55   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ror_74 View Post
Sausages can't really be considered paleo/ primal/ketogenic because of their usually high gluten content (gluten being one of the problems associated with grains)

I should have prefaced this by saying I'm on your side
Thanks from:
19-06-2013, 14:11   #60
petethedrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacl View Post
Sounds more Atkins than Paleo. We had a few people at work who did the Atkins diet when it came out, my only advice would be to stock up on air fresheners and leave the windows open.
I don't fart any more than I did before. Probably less due to less wheat.

Like I said before I am not a Paleo or strictly following Atkins (don't have his book). I generally look up recipes online which are high in animal fat, use cheaper cuts of meat and low in carbohydrate. Yesterday was a bit of a meaty day. It's not like that everyday. I eat far more fish now. I might go 3 days in a row with fish as the only meat. Buying for 1 you tend to eat the same meat a few days in a row though.

It will be chicken again tonight - post training spin.
Thread Closed