Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Plan for first season racing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Opera_Leonardo

Yeah it's nice when it all clicks together. Have you got a "proper fitting" done on the bike your going to race. If you did, did you find any benefit? Are there any experienced rider's willing to share their thoughts on "proper fitting"?

Wishing you and all a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Proper fitting can be arrived at by urself, given ample time. Not about what makes you conformtable rather what poistion permits you to put out the maximum power to the cranks.

Never had a proper fitting done myself, however when on holidays a few years back , in a german run bike shop, they guys got out the pendulum and measuring tape, and fittted a real good position in minutes.

they also calculated the correct frame size for my (leg) height

then they produced a printed outline of a bike and they wrote all the measuremnets on the page and presented this to me. distance saddle to the stem, height of saddle : two main ones.

u will find a fitting lasts a year maybe, then an occasional readjustment or tweeking can be beneficial, as ur body develops muscles around different parts.

Key points :

its right when :

1). when seated : zero pain or discomfort anywhere, even after hours in the saddle

2). ur backside does not move 1 mm ( side to side) whilst cycling. check out the amount of cyclists in ur own group who appear to move side to side while cycling.

3) upper body remains motionless from the hips up.

its wrong when :

1) .u feel shoulder pain accross the whole width of the shoulders : ( over or under stretch)

2). ur knees feel under pressure with a physical pain in ur knees ( possibly seat position too far forward)

3). a pain at the back of the knee under the thigh or just below ur backside ( saddle height adjustment needed).

remember : get to zer pain , zero discomfort :

Bigget and best tip for you :

always remain seated for climbing: even if u are going backwards : out of the saddle does nothing to develop ur climbing skills and climbing muscles.

Thanks Michael196. I think I'm near enough on most of your points. The thing that stands out is maximum power output. Without some expensive piece of measuring equipment or extensive knowledge/experience how does one know exactly when the optimal position is reached?
    I read the majority go for the KOPS method, however others think this is just a starting point.

The reason I asked about proper fitting is that for the outlay is it worth it rather than the trial and error of self fitting and perhaps not getting the maximum out of training because the bike isn't set up correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

I strongly recommend a bike fit to get you roughly in the right position. as m196 said you can tweak it after that. it cost me €50 and recommended a shorter stem which was well worth the money. after the bike fit it took me a couple of long rides to adjust to the correct position-i had been in the wrong position for so long, i had to "unlearn it"-i had a few twinges on the way!

Hi Raymzor, good to get your view on "proper bike fitting" as well. At that sort of money it seems a worth while exercise. After all it is very easy to do some damage with an ill fitting bike. Did your fitting involve any computer/software plotting your movement on the bike showing before and after power output or anything like that. Or was it just a basic seating position on the bike? Thanks.

• Advertisement

SloRida sorry for jacking your thread!

Brought my bike to the local bike shop. the guy there took measurements with me on and off the bike (stationary) and fed the numbers into a program which spat out the recommended positions-numbers saved on his program. (my saddle was 30mm too low, needed to go forward 10mm and had to get a stem 12mm shorter)i then took bike for a spin to get a feel for it. there was no power measurements-don't know of anyone who offers such a service. i think its down to how you feel on the bike at that stage. for example if you want to time trial chances are you would move the saddle 10/20mm forward-my opinion by the way!

Ditto about hijacking Slo's thread, although I'm not sure what stage Slo is at on his cycling career so I'm trying to cover some aspects that might not spring to mind. I have done a little cycling towards the end of 2012 and my questions are aimed at getting some information that might be helpful/useful for Slo and myself and anybody else in the same position.

What was the difference(s) you noticed after the fitting?

No aches and pains after long rides. gained some noticeably speed (5-10%) and felt more powerful in the new position-i have no device to measure power. i did the measure up on the road bike and then transferred dimensions onto mountain bike which gave the same results-comfort and speed.

It's good to hear that you noticed positive results from your fitting. I'm in Donegal and will need to enquire locally if anybody offers such a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

No hassle on the hi-jacking...I'm always open to info!
    I haven't got fitted for the road bike yet and I took it out for 80km on Monday and found a pain in my neck after about 50km. It was quite sore by the time I got home. Not sure yet what exactly was wrong but I'll bring it to the LBS in the new year and get a fitting done. There's a website that gives good instructions, a guy in work suggested it to me...I'll get it from him again next week.

• Advertisement

Hi Slo nice to have you back. On the bike fitting its prob a good idea to find out what method your LBS uses to fit riders. I know of a few that are using outdated methods with no method of finding your CG (center of gravity).

And if you find that website with good info on fitting would you mind sharing it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭casion3

Great diary Slo
    I don't think there is anybody who doesn't understand the difficulty in balancing real life with cycling.

I noticed earlier in your training you used the turbo for base miles. I would have thought that an hour on turbo wouldn't have been long long enough for a base session?
    Anyone want to comment?

I also notice you are having difficulty staying with your buddies on hills. Best way to improve that is ride hills hills and more hills

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Hi Slo nice to have you back. On the bike fitting its prob a good idea to find out what method your LBS uses to fit riders. I know of a few that are using outdated methods with no method of finding your CG (center of gravity).

And if you find that website with good info on fitting would you mind sharing it. Thanks.
    check out Steve hogg on YouTube. He's a pretty famous Australian bike fitter, and had a good blog aswell

casion3 wrote: »
    I noticed earlier in your training you used the turbo for base miles. I would have thought that an hour on turbo wouldn't have been long long enough for a base session?
    Anyone want to comment?

Well...ideally, you would spend a bit longer but bike/life balance and all that! But I think because the turbo is so much more resistive than the road, you are putting in a lot more effort in that hour therefore there is less time needed.

I also notice you are having difficulty staying with your buddies on hills. Best way to improve that is ride hills hills and more hills

tru dat!!
    It's starting soon, possibly Friday, depending on travelling arrangements re family etc. I'll throw the back into the hills for a few sessions then. It's going to be the toughest training so far I expect. Totally unknown territory but I'll bury myself for a few hill sessions and hopefully feel the difference by February.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭casion3

Slo_Rida wrote: »

Well...ideally, you would spend a bit longer but bike/life balance and all that! But I think because the turbo is so much more resistive than the road, you are putting in a lot more effort in that hour therefore there is less time needed.

tru dat!!
    It's starting soon, possibly Friday, depending on travelling arrangements re family etc. I'll throw the back into the hills for a few sessions then. It's going to be the toughest training so far I expect. Totally unknown territory but I'll bury myself for a few hill sessions and hopefully feel the difference by February.

Ya I use turbo for intervals, threshold work etc.
    If you find it boring try the sufferfest videos, they can actually be good fun.

Do you still do the odd run? I would quit the runs and use the time saved for extra turbo or a self massage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

But I think because the turbo is so much more resistive than the road, you are putting in a lot more effort in that hour therefore there is less time needed.

Don't forget the lack of traffic lights and stop signs on the turbo as well. I was substituting the odd 2 hour ride with a 90 minute turbo session, which I felt was just as effective, though I absolutely hated it and now go to great lengths to avoid my turbo.

colm_gti wrote: »
    Don't forget the lack of traffic lights and stop signs on the turbo as well. I was substituting the odd 2 hour ride with a 90 minute turbo session, which I felt was just as effective, though I absolutely hated it and now go to great lengths to avoid my turbo.

Yeah I'm well fed up of it but it's a necessary evil in my view. I might use it to get in some shorter high intensity sessions between now and race time.

Ya I use turbo for intervals, threshold work etc.
    If you find it boring try the sufferfest videos, they can actually be good fun.

Do you still do the odd run? I would quit the runs and use the time saved for extra turbo or a self massage.

The odd run was to make use of an oppurtunity during lunch break here and there so I might stick with it...just to do something constructive really. I looked up the sufferfest stuff but decided it was another expense which I could do without and that if I go ok racing I might treat myself to it for next winter.
    Do you use them? Were they expensive? I like the idea of them because I have used cycling videos in the past (documentaries) and loved when there was a bit on-the-bike footage.

Right,
    The last spin I documented was the Ras Limnui loop with 2 buddies, felt great on it. I did this on my own on Xmas eve:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/254075724
    Went ok and I was happy just to get a decent 75km in before xmas.
    Tried to get out for the same route on the 30th but after about 15km the wind changed and nearly blew off the bike. I kept going for a km and nearly came down a few times and decided to turn around and avoid....death!!
    I did a slow 6km run on the 27th, hardly worth mentioning.

But yesterday...myself and a buddy did this:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/258005345
    We inadvertently made the climb into hill reps and I felt like I actually had a bit of power. Very encouraging after the break. I genuinely can't wait to get out again...just to see if it was a one off or have I actually improved. Hoping to do a light-ish turbo today or tomorrow and then back on the road next Saturday. Hoping to throw in a turbo or 2 during the week too.
    Pretty happy with current status.

I think your right to stick with the odd trainer workout. After all surely it's better to get some training, it's not easy to get 2hr+ for a worth while cycle on the road. I got out yesterday for a 62k run (2hr 19) so back to the start of last summer's times. Nice to get out all the same rather than looking at a concrete wall! Sorry I don't have one of those fancy Garmin's Slo. Looking at your uploads it seems that your using the 500. I'm looking at getting either a 305 or 500 sometime soon. How do you find the 500?

• Advertisement

I think your right to stick with the odd trainer workout. After all surely it's better to get some training, it's not easy to get 2hr+ for a worth while cycle on the road. I got out yesterday for a 62k run (2hr 19) so back to the start of last summer's times. Nice to get out all the same rather than looking at a concrete wall! Sorry I don't have one of those fancy Garmin's Slo. Looking at your uploads it seems that your using the 500. I'm looking at getting either a 305 or 500 sometime soon. How do you find the 500?

If you have the cash it's very handy...doesn't make you go faster but handy to look back at what you've done and pat yourself on the back :D

Do you use it for intervals? Can it be set to beep at the start/end of a specified time? I think that would be a handy feature. I also like the virtual partner on routes that have already being done. I do my training on my own and tend to stick to the same routes that are quite but fairly hilly. I have gone off the 305, it seems to suffer from an intermittent power problem. I don't really need any mapping features either as I know where I'm going.

Do you use it for intervals? Can it be set to beep at the start/end of a specified time? I think that would be a handy feature. I also like the virtual partner on routes that have already being done. I do my training on my own and tend to stick to the same routes that are quite but fairly hilly. I have gone off the 305, it seems to suffer from an intermittent power problem. I don't really need any mapping features either as I know where I'm going.

Sounds like the 500 is the man for you. Tbh I just use it to record a session then look back at hr, cadence and avg speed.

Cheers for that. At the min I just make a mental note of times. But because I don't use the cadence/heart rate features I feel I may not be training the best I could. I'll see if I can source a 500 at the right money.

Are you changing your turbo routines? I came across a site outlining some routines I'll pass it on to you tomorrow.

Time to set my Official Goals for the year.
    I've given it a bit of thought and here's what I'm roughly planning. With no particular priority/order yet:
    1 - Compete consistently in club league
    1b - Win a club league race
    2 - Be competitive in more than 2 A4 races
    2b - Score a point in an A4 race
    5 - Complete Charleville 2 day and make some kind of mark eg initiate/join a break or attempt some kind of sprint finish or try for a kom type thing or something similar.

I will revise these at the end of Januaryand again before Race #1.

Time to set my Official Goals for the year.
    I've given it a bit of thought and here's what I'm roughly planning. With no particular priority/order yet:
    1 - Compete consistently in club league
    1b - Win a club league race
    2 - Be competitive in more than 2 A4 races
    2b - Score a point in an A4 race
    5 - Complete Charleville 2 day and make some kind of mark eg initiate/join a break or attempt some kind of sprint finish or try for a kom type thing or something similar.

I will revise these at the end of Januaryand again before Race #1.

Ok
    7 weeks today until race #1. I haven't decided if I'll do the Lacey cup in Tralee or the West Coast Wheelers in Loughrea. They're both on the same day, Sun 24 Feb. But I do know I'll do one of them and that'll be my opener. Friday's spin has given me a bit of confidence so I'm looking forward to it now.

So...to add a more specific and relevent goal to the above post:

6 - Not get spat out in my first race

This may be ambitious but if I go there with this attitude it might encourage me to dig deep when needed.

Good man Slo. That's a good idea outlining your goals early doors. That way you have set a target(s) to aim for. Only 7 weeks to go!!

I must say following your thread has me fired up for the coming season. Have you done any speed work yet? I'd say it would be a good idea to get a bit done before your first race. Also for what it's worth a few practice starts at a fairly fast pace will come in handy.

Also for what it's worth a few practice starts at a fairly fast pace will come in handy.

Never thought of these, might give it a go just to be ready. Speed work starting in the morning on the turbo and again Thursday morning hopefully on the road and then a group spin on Saturday.

Sound like you have most of it covered then. Don't overdo it too soon with speed work. Some advise only a 5-10% increase in training per week. Too much too soon and you could do more harm than good.

Keep us posted on where your first race will be. Who knows you could get a group of well wishers along for support.

• Advertisement

Never thought of these, might give it a go just to be ready. Speed work starting in the morning on the turbo and again Thursday morning hopefully on the road and then a group spin on Saturday.

Turbo session postponed from 6am to 8.30pm. For no reason other than laziness this morning. I'll tear the @rse out of it tonight as punishment :)
    Quite annoyed at myself since things are going pretty well. I'm just thinking back to an earlier post in this thread titled "get on bike regardless". I need to tatoo that on te back of my hand for the next few weeks.

Advertisement