Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

kerry4sam & her first Cycling Training Log

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've decided to include my R anting & R aving posts to keep my training log complete:
    ~ Day#2
    ~ Day#4
    ~ Day#9.

I was speaking to my manager tonight about cycling fitness and tonight after work I felt brave enough to take on the pool for the first time since being thrown off my bike.

I couldn't even kick out like. It was just ridiculous how lickle I could actually do. Their were tears, once again, as the pain was just over-bearing. The pain though was not as severe so that's something. Couldn't do much at first so took a breather and got going again. Breaks a plenty but thought it best not to overdue it.
    I won't be going near the exercise bike in the gym for some time yet when I could barely do these basic movements and exercises in the pool.

I'm going to live in this pool for a while as yes their was pain, but I was doing movements and formations and exercising my legs. It is going to be beneficial for me hence why I won't be stopping this for some time to come. Thanks to all who recommended this btw! :)

All in all, pain is not going anywhere anytime soon, but I'm going to fight this every step of the way!

Looking back at what I was cycling before November 4th and to not even be able to kick out while being supported in the pool is :(

I'll keep my training log updated and since I've the monies raised for the completion of my 5-lakes Personal Challenge, I'd better be able to complete it in some reasonable time-frame from now and oh! The Audax 200 in March! :eek: - Unreal Aim? Possibly, but it is my aim :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭billyhead

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I've decided to include my R anting & R aving posts to keep my training log complete:
    ~ Day#2
    ~ Day#4
    ~ Day#9.

I was speaking to my manager tonight about cycling fitness and tonight after work I felt brave enough to take on the pool for the first time since being thrown off my bike.

I couldn't even kick out like. It was just ridiculous how lickle I could actually do. Their were tears, once again, as the pain was just over-bearing. The pain though was not as severe so that's something. Couldn't do much at first so took a breather and got going again. Breaks a plenty but thought it best not to overdue it.
    I won't be going near the exercise bike in the gym for some time yet when I could barely do these basic movements and exercises in the pool.

I'm going to live in this pool for a while as yes their was pain, but I was doing movements and formations and exercising my legs. It is going to be beneficial for me hence why I won't be stopping this for some time to come. Thanks to all who recommended this btw! :)

All in all, pain is not going anywhere anytime soon, but I'm going to fight this every step of the way!

Looking back at what I was cycling before November 4th and to not even be able to kick out while being supported in the pool is :(

I'll keep my training log updated and since I've the monies raised for the completion of my 5-lakes Personal Challenge, I'd better be able to complete it in some reasonable time-frame from now and oh! The Audax 200 in March! :eek: - Unreal Aim? Possibly, but it is my aim :)

Im a fan of your training log K4S:) Keep the faith. Its all about a positive mental attitude to get through an injury. Frustrating as it is their is light at the end of the tunnel. Like yourself I am confined to short walks and small steps but am noticing a small improvement each day. Last time i was involved in a bad accident it took about 3 months to be back to full fitness. Its just a matter of being patient and don't rush back too quick or push your muslces beyond the pain barrier. Unfortunataly for us any tissue, ligament, tendon damage is slow at healing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

K4S you're doing great and not giving up. You were super fit before and you'll be back flying on the bike soon. I've cycled with you and have every faith in your ability and also your attitude. Mind yourself :)

billyhead wrote: »
    Im a fan of your training log K4S:) Keep the faith. Its all about a positive mental attitude to get through an injury. Frustrating as it is their is light at the end of the tunnel. Like yourself I am confined to short walks and small steps but am noticing a small improvement each day. Last time i was involved in a bad accident it took about 3 months to be back to full fitness. Its just a matter of being patient and don't rush back too quick or push your muslces beyond the pain barrier. Unfortunataly for us any tissue, ligament, tendon damage is slow at healing

Firstly, Best of Luck to you tomorrow - Big day for you with your MRI scan. Hope all goes well :)

Secondly, Thank You! You're saying lovely kind words and I appreciate it.

It's just a horrid change in lifestyle & all so suddenly too you know. I am noticing improvements daily and it really is the small things that give me a perk like being able to walk down the stairs now without shooting vibration pains going up both legs. An entirely different life over the past two weeks :eek:

I said it on the night and I'll keep saying it - It could have been a hell of a lot worse for me! If I weren't wearing my helmet when my head banged off the road that night, I would have so much more to be worrying about than wondering if I can cyclee, jog or even run, this side of Christmas.
    Pembily wrote: »
    K4S you're doing great and not giving up. You were super fit before and you'll be back flying on the bike soon. I've cycled with you and have every faith in your ability and also your attitude. Mind yourself :)

Thanks so much Pembily :) That's also so kind of you hun. Yeah I'm being told that with my fitness levels healing time should be shorter than most for me. I'll be back in the pool again later this evening so I am looking forward to that.

I will be back on my bike again, sooner rather than later & I will cycle the Ring of Kerry in 2013. It'll be your own first-time cycling that too, so that'll be fun. Wishing you Well in your own training too hun :).

This has been some serious eye-opener. I've really learned who I can rely on and turn to. It has been one horrid experience.
    When-ever I had a rough day I would just take out my bike and experience a great sense of freedom on a 2-3+hr spin, but since 4th November having that taken from me has been rough beyond words. The pain and suffering I've endured is something I don't want to experience again!

I've been doing some leg strengthening exercises and pushing my limits and pain-barrier daily. I've started the following & hoping to build a routine of
    ~ 20mins exercise-bike
    ~ 20mins exercising in the pool
    ~ 10mins jacuzzi-relaxation time
    for this coming week onward.

I need to get back on my own lickle racer soon though and even driving again soon as my patience has grown very thin with my freedom taken from me like it has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Does to much of one particular exercise make someone more prone to injuries?

I think yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

sorry to hear your news k4s - just been catching up on your log.
    Best wishes with the recovery - don't rush back into getting back to where you were as there's always time for recovery

sorry to hear your news k4s - just been catching up on your log.
    Best wishes with the recovery - don't rush back into getting back to where you were as there's always time for recovery

Thank You :)

No fear of me rushing back to where I was, my legs won't allow me! They are coming along nicely now though & the pain has reduced substantially. I reckon if I were to get doing what I am doing, by end next-week or week after that even, I could be back out on the road. That's my plan anyways.

Already planned my first cycling route back - thinking of an early spin too when the roads are quiet and would allow my nerves to settle and the route would be relatively easy-going and local. Any route would do me just to get back out there.

I've rested up long enough now and I just want to get back on my bike! I've been warned about doing too much too soon, so need to strike a good balance :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

kerry4sam wrote: »
    've rested up long enough now and I just want to get back on my bike! I've been warned about doing too much too soon, so need to strike a good balance :o

Pain in the ass as they are, a turbo is well worth considering to get the legs spinning again and checking your current endurance levels, aches and pains, etc...

smacl wrote: »
    Pain in the ass as they are, a turbo is well worth considering to get the legs spinning again and checking your current endurance levels, aches and pains, etc...

I went for a short walk yesterday and I could feel the vibrations of pain up my left leg on even the smallest of hills. All I heard was 'sur just think what you've gone through'.

I will look into the turbo smacl, but it'll be mid-end next-week before I'd feel strong enough for that :o , until then I'm staying with the pan above by me as it's working and will get me to the point where I could take on your suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,256 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Your recovery seems to be taking a bit of time. Is it a problem with the joints (which I know could take time, depending on the amount of damage done), muscles, or the effects of road rash that's causing pain?

Clearly you have to take onboard whatever the medical professionals say, but it may well be that a turbo would be appropriate if they are happy for you to exercise without the risk of taking additional knocks (hitting potholes and the like), or having to push hard up the hills. They can help you maintain/regain conditioning so you would be ready to go whenever you get the green light (again, assuming the professionals are happy with it). The exercise may also help accelerate recovery

Both legs still have bruising and are both swollen in parts. I just wish it would just recover already like! 3-weeks ago tonight the unforeseen happened, but could have been so much worse. 3-very very slow to pass weeks now since being thrown off my lickle racer!

Thanks again to everyone for your support & advice :) Appreciate it beyond words everyone. Thank You!

Tonight I done:
    ~ 25mins on the exercise bike
    ~ 20mins in the pool
    ~ 10mins jacuzzi.

I am going to do the turbo this week as it's only now that I feel ready for it. Hopefully sooner rather than later now before I can get back to everything that has been put on hold and get back out on the road again. Will post back once turbo is done by me and their has been more progress in my training.

I don't have my own turbo but Thank You to Mike for today where I was able to see where I stand. Better circumstances next time Mike!

Shockin'!

The exercise bike in the gym is grand, all well and good, and what I will have to do is increase my usage until I purchase my own turbo in the next two weeks.

I wasn't long on today when I was just faint & weak and my legs turned to jelly. Either I got off the bike myself or I was falling off, but either way, I was coming off the bike! :eek:

Within minutes of sitting down the severe pain I had 2-weeks ago returned. I don't see myself taking to the road this side of Christmas. I have physio again tomorrow evening after work and I'll be back in the pool and on the exercise bike late tomorrow evening again.

This battle is proving tougher than I thought, but I am not giving into this fight.

Not that I needed it, actually could have done without it, but over the last 3-weeks I have lost over a 1/2 stone weight :( Taking much needed strength away from me. Still a tough climb ahead of me, but I will not only get back to where I was before the fckwit threw me off my bike, but better & I will be stronger!

Sorry to hear off your setback today. Keep the chin up. Recovery from injuries is fruustrating and painful but theres light at the end of the tunnel and what doesn't kill yopu makes you stronger. It won't be long before you regain your fitness and will probaly be fitter then ever. I started the rehab work myself this week in the pool. Its going smoothly so far but obviously would rather be out on the bike getting miles into the legs. Tbh I don't think I would attempt cycling with the cold weather we have at present and the icy roads. Tried that 2 years ago with the cold snap and ended up on my arse most of the time. The only positive from this is that it happened to us at the end of the year and off season. Would be worse if it happened in April or May with the long evenings and possible dryer and warm weather.

Not a truer word spoken billyhead. Wish you a Safe Speedy Recovery! Hope at least your pain is easing off. You are right about it the positive of it being end-of-season, optimism! :) Thank You!

I have a cycle to complete though. Raised monies and need to complete the cycle. Thankfully those who sponsored are well meaning; thoughtful and understanding people. Looks like January before completion by me, all going well.

The thing is that I can now walk around town. I am walking for shorter periods but I am walking with a lower dosage of pain-killers. I need to get back on my bike soon though and build up that fitness again. The weight-loss hopefully will stop and my strength will return.

Priorities in order from here on out in my life. Thankfully.

Found this video on you tube. Hope it can inspire you to recover quicker and get back out on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqpQzT1Kbuk&feature=player_embedded#!

billyhead wrote: »
    Found this video on you tube. Hope it can inspire you to recover quicker and get back out on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqpQzT1Kbuk&feature=player_embedded#!

That actually brought a tear to my eye :o

Thanks so much for this billyhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

K4s you really took a bad knock. You poor thing, super sorry to hear it's so slow but going on how you cycled before you'll be back flying soon.

^^^ Thanks again to everyone who wished me well and offered advice and support - truly appreciate it everyone :)

Last Saturday, just 1 day shy of 5-weeks since I was thrown off my bike did I drive to work!

Tonight I was back on my racer :D For some reason I awoke this morning thinking 'YES! I can do this. I am able and strong enough to get back on my bike' and this evening I did.

Oh my good God did it feel good. Their is such immense freedom on the bike and I missed that. I'd time-trials set up for myself locally and I am not actually that far off where I was before. All my work in the swimming-pool and in the gym paid off for me in maintaining a reasonable level of fitness.

Such a great feeling being back on the saddle again. It just felt right for some reason. I wasn't anxious or nervous eventhough I would have thought even last week that I would be. The roads were reasonably quiet on outskirts of town but town was busy enough.
    Yes their are still eegits behind some wheels in their cars but I will used to that again very soon I am sure. They won't be going anywhere so if I'm to stay cycling, that's just something to get re-used to and just accept.

All in All, great being back on my racer again :)

Audax200 in Midleton in March is within reach once I put the work in over the coming weeks and months! but hoping to complete my 5-lakes Personal Challenge before end of January first.

1st-day cycling tucked away and cannot wait to start back into my long distances again. Such an enjoyable feeling being back on the saddle again!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Good on ya Kerry. Nice to be back in the saddle. Take it easy to start with, don't push too hard and get set back.

Good luck with the 5 lakes...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fair play, Kerry. Just watch the effing ice out there, and wrap up well. And good luck with the Midleton 200, I have the Ardattin 200 in mind as my first big outing for 2013. Really enjoyed my first audax this year.

Great to hear your back on the bike. As the other lads have mentioned build up the mileage and don't overdo it after comign back from an injury. Let the body guide you. If there is any pain don't push it. I am planning to get back on the bike over the x-mas hols too. Was with the physio yesterday and he said I have recovered well. Not 100% yet but enough to take short easy spins. Cant wiat to get back out their

Well I done my 1st of what I Hope will be years of Christmas Day Cycles. Today was just so peaceful and quiet (for the main part) on the roads that I opted for distance over speed. I need to build up my distance on the saddle again and I am sure once I manage that, the speed will improve!

The beginning was just lovely and I left the town and just got myself lost on the main roads leading out of town. I'd covered some ground before I knew it. Felt Great!

Heading back intoward town again though and my heart was put back in my mouth. Some certain people decided today was the day to test-drive their new cars, vans and transits at speed and play a delightful game of 'catch-me-if-you-can' while passing other motorists out whilst driving toward me :eek: Que the driver directly behind me leave his hand on the horn, me mounting the curb before stopping on my footpath before the car behind me then just stopping alongside me; while those delightful motorists continue their game heading toward us :mad: Flipping hell did that get my adrenaline going again.

Since I was that pumped up I opted to keep peddling and get more distance in.

I am looking at the 3rd week in January for the completion of my 5-lakes Personal Challenge. Where I work, it will be closed mid-week for 5-weeks in the early New Year so with the holiers I have planned with friends, the 3rd week in January is looking good for that :) Looking forward, yet nervous, but once I'm getting the distance in from now until then, it should all go to plan. It should go to plan :o

Yes, Christmas Day year#1 Cycle done and my fitness levels are returning to where they were before November 4th Thankfully! :)

Can a mod Please close this thread for me?

Today I have hung up my trusted lickle racer.

As you can see from this thread alone, she never failed me and always brought me Home. From my posts here, my Best Personal Achievement from 2013 was from my cycling with this lickle racer.
    My Loving Dad passed away on 20th December 2013 (see here) and their is too much of my Loving Dad in this lickle racer and I just cannot cycle her.

A new 2014 Racer is all set up for me now so it will be one peddle at a time. Just un-imaginable how difficult this actually is.

Anywhoo, Please close this thread as I put an end to this chapter with the work my Loving Dad done as my rock, source of energy, support, mechanic, you name it - nothing was ever too much for him (now Resting in Peace).

Thanks so much to everyone who came in here and offered tips, guidance, support and advice.
    My spinal injury is pretty much permanent and swimming, mountain-climbing, rock-climbing and kayak-ing have been ruled out for good but thankfully Cycling is one of many sports I can continue, since my Loving Dad was a Bicycle Mechanic all his life even before I was born (see here).

New Year. New Racer. Starting Afresh from the Beginning again with my training.

Thanks Again,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement