Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

09-07-2012, 19:21   #1
kerry4sam

kerry4sam & her first Cycling Training Log

Following on from my post in the Ring of Kerry 2012 Charity cycle thread here, I have commenced my training for my First ever cycle of the Ring of Kerry. I want to participate in the official event in 2013, but have set a target of completing my First Ring of Kerry cycle before Year Ending 2012. I am an optimist btw!

Newbie to racers and this afternoon done 20.5km in 45mins at which point I felt I could continue but time & other commitments made sure it wasn't to be. I have never had so much fun on a bicycle as I did this afternoon and long may that continue! I am happy with that for my first spin and will try to maintain this for a week before upping my game and taking on a more challenging route next week. Surprised myself at my fitness levels, even-though I would be an avid walker/jogger/hill-walker/mountain-climber! Great Bike!

Though it was tough in parts with the climbs and the weather against me - biting wind and rain but peddling on I did and I was happy with a time of 45mins for a 20.5km cycle on my first racer.

Kerry4sam

Day#2 planned for tomorrow please God! I hope to contine my log on here to maintain & improve my commitment to this newbie on my bucket-list - RoK2013
Advertisement
10-07-2012, 14:46   #2
flying11

congrats on your first spin! its a great feeling to be out in the fresh air , you will be hooked in no time!
i did the ring last week and it really is a fantastic day out, i cant wait until the 2013 edition.
judging by your username you are from the kingdom so you might be interested in the ring of north kerry cycle which is on in the middle of august, if the weather is nice it should he a great day out with some amazing scenery. see http://www.ring-of-north-kerry-cycle.com/ for details.
best of luck with your cycling!
Thanks from:
10-07-2012, 15:58   #3
t'bear

Congrats on the first spin, normally takes a couple of spins and complaints about sore rear ends before the 'bug' starts to bite, so fair play
Thanks from:
10-07-2012, 18:08   #4
kerry4sam

Day#2 & Boom!

Thanks so much guys ^^^ I really appreciate the support!

Bang on time with yesterday. Exhilarating would be an understatement! There is just so much freedom on the bike, it’s a fantastic feeling. I didn’t know how enjoyable it would or even could be & wondering now why I didn’t start this sooner

Anywhoo, day#2 and I’m more than content with my cycle. Back out again tomorrow to keep increasing my stamina. I must put more thought in though for my routes for Thursday and Friday since I will be off work. Don’t want to push myself too far too fast though but I’ll figure it out I’m sure.

Right now I don’t see why I cannot complete my Ring of Kerry before year ending 2012 and on another positive, I won’t be such a newbie for the official event in 2013 then

Kerry4sam
Thanks from:
11-07-2012, 07:03   #5
kerry4sam

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2012, 07:03   #6
kerry4sam

Day #3

Up with my alarm at 5am and on the road for 6am! So peaceful and quiet at that hour. Made it easier for me for when the skies opened. Jeez lads, if we could put a roof overhead for the next few months, t’wud make my quest a tad easier, but anywhoo…

Kept peddling and ended up in a nearby village in no time (nobody up surprise surprise!) but kept going to get my distance in. Done just over 22km this morning in just about 45mins but I had the road to myself, well with the exception of one very jolly cyclist who was all waves and ‘Great Morning’ Nice to it was!

Day #4 tomorrow, still undecided about time or route but once I can maintain this distance with this timing for this week I’ll be happy.
Thanks from:
12-07-2012, 14:54   #7
kerry4sam

Day #4

Being off today I thought it best to up my game and challenge myself. I started out thinking it wasn’t about time trials and that I need to get my distance up. Didn’t happen though as I just kept up the speed. Upped my game today to just over 40km in 1hr 5mins with a different route.

Today I took on hills and climbs and saw parts of the country-side I never knew existed as I’d never have walked that distance or routes before. Stunning! I was happy to see some tourists en route also and knowing they would leave having experienced this beauty. So that was nice

I’m going to do same route again tomorrow I’d say as that was tougher than the previous few days and that’s what I need to be doing now, and hope I maintain that timing also.

Oh me thinks the fun is really only beginning!

kerry4sam
Thanks from:
12-07-2012, 15:09   #8
Beasty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry4sam View Post
Upped my game today to just over 40km in 1hr 5mins with a different route.
Wow - that is fast - some of us struggle to go that speed over that distance with full TT gear. Is there a typo?

Well done so far - don't try and do too much too quickly though - build it up steadily and you will feel all the better for it (and less inclined to take a few days off, which can then turn into a couple of weeks, and before you know it bring your back to square one)
Thanks from:
12-07-2012, 15:15   #9
kerry4sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
Wow - that is fast - some of us struggle to go that speed over that distance with full TT gear. Is there a typo?

Well done so far - don't try and do too much too quickly though - build it up steadily and you will feel all the better for it (and less inclined to take a few days off, which can then turn into a couple of weeks, and before you know it bring your back to square one)
Thought so myself but got it checked No typo I'm going to keep this route for myself as it challenged me and I felt it when I finished too. It did push me, I won't say otherwise. I just kept going with the head down. I was familiar with parts of the route from walking but not in its entirety so that helped with being able to keep the speed up. Delighted with today so I am.

Thanks for the support Beasty, I do appreciate it
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-07-2012, 16:00   #10
kerry4sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying11 View Post
congrats on your first spin! its a great feeling to be out in the fresh air , you will be hooked in no time!
i did the ring last week and it really is a fantastic day out, i cant wait until the 2013 edition.
judging by your username you are from the kingdom so you might be interested in the ring of north kerry cycle which is on in the middle of august, if the weather is nice it should he a great day out with some amazing scenery. see http://www.ring-of-north-kerry-cycle.com/ for details.
best of luck with your cycling!
That Ring of North Kerry cycle sounds interesting. By that date I'd probably be looking at the 70km route but that is a target now for me to meet & after today I feel I could do it! Thank you for that linkie flying11 as I hadn't heard about it. Let me know if you'll be there yourself on the day and I'll meet ya!

That's my aim now so it is, the 70km North Kerry cycle - 11th August.

The pain is creeping in with my thighs now so it is, long bath is on the cards me thinks
Thanks from:
13-07-2012, 12:41   #11
kerry4sam

13-07-2012, 12:43   #12
kerry4sam

Day #5

Yesterday I did push myself as my lunch didn’t settle and I couldn’t eat dinner
Today I done the same route as yesterday, minute longer even-though I only had one stop/break compared with three yesterday

Taking tomorrow morning off to relax before a busy day at work in the evening and again on the Sunday morning so I’m looking at Sunday evening hopefully for my next venture out.

Kerry and her lickle dawes are flying it and lovin it. I had a flashback today on seeing racers on the route I was on for years and wondering how they were able to do it, but it’s all in the mind ain't it?! Mind over Matter I feel. Once I adopted my get-up-and-go attitude I have found myself to be happier in general. Cycling just gives me this sense of freedom and I like it!

Yeah the 70km Ring of North Kerry is my aim to judge how I’ll be set to take on the Ring of South Kerry before year ending 2012 as planned. Feel free to pm me if anyone will be at that event on 11th August btw.

Kerry4sam
15-07-2012, 17:50   #13
kerry4sam

Day #6

I think the best decision of my week was heading out for my 40km ride within 30mins from finishing back-to-back busy shifts at work. Cycling just frees my mind, perfect way to unwind. There were no records broken today but I am okay with that considering everything.
Tomorrow marks one week since I purchased my lickle beauty of a racer and this coming week really is time I upped my game further. No excuses not to!

My first week down:
- Feeling all the better for taking up cycling;
- Would recommend to anyone to start, really never is too late to make a start;
- Not one negative comes to mind;
- Delighted with my decision and my progress to date. I am still a fair distance from the Ring of South Kerry cycle but a lot closer than I was this time last week that’s for sure.

Thanks to everyone for the support to date, won’t be forgotten!

Kerry4sam
(2) thanks from:
15-07-2012, 17:50   #14
kerry4sam

15-07-2012, 18:45   #15
kerry4sam

Thanks for the following linkie glennbhoy. It actually brought a tear to my eye

Thread Closed