Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road to improvement 2012

Options
  • 05-01-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

2011 was a decent start and hopefully has provided a useful base on which to build.
    Having spoken to some people who know about these things, I've come up with a plan of sorts for 2012.
    My main aim is to go faster, but I would also like to improve on last year's mileage (10,425km) if I can. However, I am quite willing to sacrifice quantity in favour of quality. I'd like to participate in more sportive events than last year, and in particular I want to go back to the Giant's Causeway event in September and conquer the climb at the end (Torr Rd).
    I've decided to try racing on the track and in club competition. I wasn't going to try the club competition at first, but I've been persueded to give it a go. I don't expect to be anything but in red lantern position, but that's not why I'm doing it anyway. I want to race for enjoyment and for the improvements I've been told it brings.
    I'd like to be able to go on fast clup spins without fear of being dropped. I'm not far off the pace on level ground, but any sort of steep hill is enough to drop me (whereas I tend to move up the pack on smaller gradients). Some of the reason for that is lack of training/practise, and some is weight-related. Both of these things are within my power to change, so that shall be my main goal for this year.
    With that in mind I'll do some training blocks. I'm currently reading the "Time-crunched cyclist" to see if there is a program in it that will fit into my schedule.

Side goals:
    I would also like to improve my commuting times, particularly over the summer. I think the quickest I've covered my 25km commute is around 48-49 minutes, but then I always stop at red lights and there are over 30 lights on my route. I'd like to regularly cover it in similar times. I was overtaken just once in the last few months on my commute. I'd like to improve to the point where that doesn't happen in the second half of the year. It's not a race and all that, but still...
    I have a set of rollers which I have set up with a front wheel stand. I want to finish the year being completely comfortable on rollers without the stand.
    As someone who no longer drives anywhere, I'll be needing to get my track bike to the velodrome for training and racing. With that in mind I've another minor goal of getting comfortable cycling fixed & clipless without brakes in an urban environment. I do have a removable front brake until I get to that point, but I'd like to dispose of it as soon as possible. On a similar note, I'd like to get back some of the skills I had as a kid (way too long ago) such as cycling hands-free. This is something I've been reluctant to even try since starting back. I'd also like to learn how to bunny hop. Never could do that when I was younger.
    Most of all I'd like to enjoy myself, develop strong tan lines and dress unashamedly in preposterous clothing.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RT66 wrote: »
    I would also like to improve my commuting times, particularly over the summer. I think the quickest I've covered my 25km commute is around 48-49 minutes, but then I always stop at red lights and there are over 30 lights on my route.
    Move (job or house);)

I manage to do 23km with only 5 sets of traffic lights ...

You'll be fine in the Swords League - there are normally 5 groups - just make sure you turn up for the Ardgillan Hill Climb and go very slowly to get yourself into Group 1 for the real racing (I made the mistake of doing it a bit too fast and found myself in Group 2 to start my racing career a couple of years ago!). Use the initial experiance to get used to racing in a group (Group 1 tends to be relatively small - again I had done virtually no group riding before starting racing but you quickly learn). There's a Paddy Doran article on safe racing that you should find useful to give you an idea of how the group works

If you're too fast for that group you will soon get moved up ...

One thing you can be assured of, you will not be the only one starting out their racing careers in the Club League this year, and there will be plenty of "old-hands" to give you some tips

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I would get out to Howth (your not too far from it) as often as you can if you want to improve your climbing. Try build up repeats on it - i got to about 5 from the sutton side last summer and it did wonders for my climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »
    Move (job or house);)

I manage to do 23km with only 5 sets of traffic lights ...

38, including 12 pedestrian lights and a railway crossing. 5 sets wouldn't get me out of easy walking distance! :(

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I would get out to Howth (your not too far from it) as often as you can if you want to improve your climbing. Try build up repeats on it - i got to about 5 from the sutton side last summer and it did wonders for my climbing.

This is something I have been meaning to do, and will definitely include in any plans I come up with. I'll also be going over Portmarnock hill instead of around the coast on my commute. It's slightly shorter, but adds more climb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

good luck! Id recommend keeping a brake on the track bike tho, you prob wont need to use it on the commute to the track as you'll be able to slow down with your legs BUT cars can be unpredictable at times, just as cyclists can, so for safety its a good idea to have it there as an option.

I use a wing nut for my brake caliper and the cross top brake lever is hinged so comes off quickly with an allen key, its a 20 second job so no big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Reading your post ... I think your mindset is wrong, but its just my opinion
    eg..You dont want to get passed out on your commute. thats a stupid goal. If anything you could be riding the commute in a higher gear or making it longer or taking in a climb. It doesnt sound like you will ever be able to ignore someone passing you on the commute, but you should if your riding that commute in manner thats part of an overall training plan, who knows you may meet them in a race and burn them off.
    It sounds like your ride everything fast in the hope it makes you faster which it doesnt. And with the mileage you did >10,000k you shouldnt be getting dropped on any climbs realisticaly in a club spin.
    That indicates your not riding the 10,000 k in a structured training way.

Some of the best cyclists in the country will happily tick along at a moderate pace if its part of their current training block, allowing everyone else to ride away/past them. They know its as much about the quality of the training miles you put in as well as the quantity.

Id work on setting short term goal ot increase your base level and lose weight in the next 2-3 months, and then focus on a 4 week block of speed stuff later on and then see if your commute time comes down.

In my defence, I generally don't race other commuters. However, since starting cycling last March I have rated my progress according to my speed relative to those around me. When I started, everyone was passing me. After a month or two only a few were passing me. The last guy that passed me was months ago, and he was absolutely flying it. I'm not killing myself all the time in an effort to make myself quicker, but I do like to travel along at a nice pace.
    I didn't mean that I'd consider an overtake as a challenge. I know there are plenty cyclists around who are much much quicker than I could ever have been. When I see someone fast I find myself wishing I were more like them, not wanting to instantly throw down the gauntlet.
    I probably could have worded that better in my original post.

Some great advice in your post tbh, and I intend to try implement it. Structure and quality are definitely on the menu this year.
    Reading your post ... I think your mindset is wrong, but its just my opinion
    eg..You dont want to get passed out on your commute. thats a stupid goal. If anything you could be riding the commute in a higher gear or making it longer or taking in a climb. It doesnt sound like you will ever be able to ignore someone passing you on the commute, but you should if your riding that commute in manner thats part of an overall training plan, who knows you may meet them in a race and burn them off.
    It sounds like your ride everything fast in the hope it makes you faster which it doesnt. And with the mileage you did >10,000k you shouldnt be getting dropped on any climbs realisticaly in a club spin.
    That indicates your not riding the 10,000 k in a structured training way.

Some of the best cyclists in the country will happily tick along at a moderate pace if its part of their current training block, allowing everyone else to ride away/past them. They know its as much about the quality of the training miles you put in as well as the quantity.

Id work on setting short term goal ot increase your base level and lose weight in the next 2-3 months, and then focus on a 4 week block of speed stuff later on and then see if your commute time comes down.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let's get this in perspective as well - you're talking about Club League, not the Ras. You are pretty much in the same position I was a couple of years ago (although with more distance covered). Virtually all my training was commuting (and turbo) - if you are going far enough there can be plenty of structure (even if you do need to stop at lights). Also the sheer amount of distance you are putting in will slow you down - if I was averaging 450km a week, I'd be getting dropped on the club spins (and there are some pretty seasoned racers who have been dropped from that spin)

You will pick a lot up as you go along - I had absolutely no intention of racing other than doing some TTs and maybe some track racing a couple of years ago, but was gradually drawn into it. My preparation for the first race was 6 weeks on the turbo (with a broken wrist) - not entirely ideal, but adequate for club (and vets) league. You will definitely be in a far better condition than many at the start of the Club League - the issue for me was working out how to hang on after taking it carefully around corners - it's the sort of thing you pick up by experience, but you will be absolutely fine

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Nice log, will follow with interest. Newish to cycling (2 years), joined Swords CC for 2012 for same reason as you, to experience racing. Looking forward to it but also dreading it. I'm not too confident on corners, and need to learn how to train properly to bring Average speed over 30/32kmph. Once average speed of group gets over this speed, I'm in the red. See you at the Ardgillian Hill climb were we will spin up in our granny gear with our frames filled with sand, just behind Beasty.:)

Just barely breaking out of holiday mode at this stage, so nothing much to report. I've started using the old Raleigh as my commuter and it'll take a bit of getting used to. I'm not very comfortable with downtube shifters so I have to put a bit more thought than usual into what gear I should be in, which is not a bad thing I suppose. The handlebars aren't as comfortable as I'm used to, but they'll do. I think it'll make a fine commuter/training bike.
    Also, I'm very happy with my new Cateye Nano Shot front light. Finally I have a light which throws enough light out on dark roads to allow me move along at my normal speeds.

Mon: Rest
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: Rest
    Fri: 48km commuting
    Sat: 48km commuting
    Sun: 48km commuting

Weekly total: 144km
    It's not much, but it's a start.

• Advertisement

I haven't started any structured training yet, but am still plodding along putting in base miles. I've changed my route in and out of work to add some climb and it's not doing me any harm. I should have done it a long time ago.
    I've also been using my old Raleigh exclusively. The Ridley is feeling neglected these days, but I just love the feel of the steel frame bike.
    My spin on Friday was cut short when my chain got fouled up. I think there may be a kink in it as it's been slipping since, although it was ok for the first 60km or so of Saturday's club spin. I can only get it to work without slipping in 50x14, so that's where it's been since lunchtime yesterday. Bringing it to the LBS tomorrow.

Mon: 41km commuting
    Tue: 48km commuting
    Wed: 48km commuting
    Fri: 36km
    Sat: 101km
    Sun: 48km commuting

Weekly total: 322km
    YTD: 466km

A good week, lots of time on the bike. Make hay while the sun shines and all that. All the same, I'm going to force myself to take a rest tomorrow.
    Still using the Raleigh exclusively. It's a lovely bike to ride. Got the derailleur tension adjusted and that sorted my slipping chain. Running perfect since.

Mon: 53km commuting
    Tue: 48km commuting
    Wed: 48km commuting
    Thurs: 58km commuting
    Fri: 48km commuting
    Sat: 103km Swords spin
    Sun: 52km

Weekly total: 410km
    YTD: 876km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Savage weekly totals.

A lot of resting (lazing around, drinking beer and eating sh1te) this week, but I don't mind that every now and then. :) The weather's been bad too so I'm not overly disappointed. I did manage to get a Dublin Bike to go over 40kph on Saturday, which was nice. I must start recording all those journeys on Strava. I normally don't bother. I also exceeded 1,000 for the month, so I haven't always been lazy.
    In addition, I had my latest lesson in the laws of unintended consequences this week. I've quickly gotten to like my old Raleigh and I'm using it all the time now. During the week I noticed it had a buckle (and a broken spoke) in the rear wheel, so I brought it to Holyboy's shop. The rear wheel needed 9 new spokes to put it right. The spokes had been damaged by the chain coming off a couple of weeks ago. It had wedged itself in between the hub and the cassette. The chain slipped because the tension was off on the derailleur cable. The tension was off because it was a new cable and had begun to stretch. It was a new cable because I decided not to trust the original cables because they were so old. New cable = broken spokes. I should probably have left it alone.. :rolleyes:

Tue: 48.5km commuting
    Wed: 49.5km commuting
    Fri: 45km commuting
    Sat: Rest, with a little bit of piddling around on Dublin Bikes.
    Sun: Rest

Weekly total: 143km
    YTD: 1019km

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

A lot of resting (lazing around, drinking beer and eating sh1te) this week, but I don't mind that every now and then. :) The weather's been bad too so I'm not overly disappointed. I did manage to get a Dublin Bike to go over 40kph on Saturday, which was nice. I must start recording all those journeys on Strava. I normally don't bother. I also exceeded 1,000 for the month, so I haven't always been lazy.
    In addition, I had my latest lesson in the laws of unintended consequences this week. I've quickly gotten to like my old Raleigh and I'm using it all the time now. During the week I noticed it had a buckle (and a broken spoke) in the rear wheel, so I brought it to Holyboy's shop. The rear wheel needed 9 new spokes to put it right. The spokes had been damaged by the chain coming off a couple of weeks ago. It had wedged itself in between the hub and the cassette. The chain slipped because the tension was off on the derailleur cable. The tension was off because it was a new cable and had begun to stretch. It was a new cable because I decided not to trust the original cables because they were so old. New cable = broken spokes. I should probably have left it alone.. :rolleyes:

Tue: 48.5km commuting
    Fri: 45km commuting
    Sat: Rest, with a little bit of piddling around on Dublin Bikes.

Weekly total: 143km
    YTD: 1019km

May I ask were Holyboy's shop is, believe he's the man for wheel repairs and wheel building. Nice totals there, well done. Got something similar this month, great weather till this weekend.

greenmat wrote: »
    May I ask were Holyboy's shop is, believe he's the man for wheel repairs and wheel building. Nice totals there, well done. Got something similar this month, great weather till this weekend.

Thanks! He's at Dolphin's Barn. Coming from Cork St turn left onto the Sth Circular Rd and he's about 50 yds down the road on the left. Across from the church.

I'm adding this climb to my list of goals for the year. I've booked my bike on the flight to my Italian holiday this summer. The attached is the MapMyRide summary of my journey back from the coffee shop. I used to run the route daily, and I'd love to be able to cycle it. It's just outside the door, so no excuses.

190702.jpg

That's me done for the month. Finished off with three Howth Hill climbs. Going to introduce hill repeats more often I hope.

Garmin Data for January:
    Count: 37 Activities
    Distance: 1,119.84 km
    Time: 45:29:10 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain: 5,352 m
    Avg Speed: 24.6 km/h

Strava Base Mile Blast:
    Finished with 699 miles. It's 699 more than I had on the board this time last year, so all good.

Icy conditions played havoc with my midweek plans, but otherwise a good week. I won't go out in frost or ice. At my age it would take quite a while to recover from a fall, so it's not worth it. Missed 3 days as a result.
    Hill repeats on Tuesday at Howth marked the beginning of my adding climbing to my training regime. I've also deliberately begun increasing my cadence and using easier gears and it seems to be working out well. This is something I tried before but never stuck at. The old bike is helping this time though. With the gear shifters being on the downtube I'm much less likely to absent-mindedly change up. As a result I'm finding myself getting used to higher cadence. I must get my cadence sensor fixed to track this properly. Another thing for the to-do list.
    Saturday's club spin was quite enjoyable, although it was a bit of a muckfest. Planning on heading to Wicklow next Saturday for a bit of a change, weather permitting.

Mon: 49km commuting
    Tue: 54km spin with hill repeats.
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 129km, Swords cc spin + commute
    Sun: 49km commuting

Weekly total: 281km
    YTD: 1300km

Not much to report this week. Saturday's spin to Wicklow was cancelled due to weather/visibility. Hopefully to be rescheduled shortly.

Tue: 49km commuting
    Wed: 51km commuting
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 80km, Swords cc spin
    Sun: 51km easy spin

Weekly total: 231km
    YTD: 1531km

• Advertisement

Nothing much to report this week. Plenty of mileage at higher cadence than last year. Finished out the week with a very pleasant club spin around NCD.

Mon: 53.5km commuting
    Tue: 50km commuting
    Thurs: 50km commuting
    Fri: 65km commuting
    Sat: 23km
    Sun: 82km club spin

Weekly total: 373km
    YTD: 1904km

I had to go away for work reasons midweek, so training went out the window basically. I did manage to get a run in, my first in a year. Did 5 miles and learned what sore muscles feel like.

Mon: 50km
    Fri: 44km commuting
    Sat: 100km club spin + 52km commute

Weekly total: 246km
    YTD: 2150km

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I had to go away for work reasons midweek, so training went out the window basically. I did manage to get a run in, my first in a year. Did 5 miles and learned what sore muscles feel like.

Mon: 50km
    Fri: 44km commuting
    Sat: 100km club spin + 52km commute

Weekly total: 246km
    YTD: 2150km

It's depressing to think that when you say training went out the window you still manage to clock up 246k!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Fair Play RT66, getting some good miles in, I have only done about 300km all year a mix of MTB and road mind, and 100km of running. You going to take in the Swords Club League this year?

G rock wrote: »
    It's depressing to think that when you say training went out the window you still manage to clock up 246k!

Sorry about that! :o Really though, if it hadn't been for Saturday's exertions the week would have been completely wasted. :pac:

Inquitus wrote: »
    Fair Play RT66, getting some good miles in, I have only done about 300km all year a mix of MTB and road mind, and 100km of running. You going to take in the Swords Club League this year?

Thanks Inquitus,
    I've taken out enough CI licence to cover me in the league, so I'll most likely give it a go at some stage. I won't be taking it as seriously as most though, and I expect to become well acquainted with the red lantern position. :)
    I take it you'll be partaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thanks Inquitus,
    I've taken out enough CI licence to cover me in the league, so I'll most likely give it a go at some stage. I won't be taking it as seriously as most though, and I expect to become well acquainted with the red lantern position. :)
    I take it you'll be partaking?

Yes I will, I am glad you are taking part, we can have our own duel for the Lanterne Rouge methinks :)

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yes I will, I am glad you are taking part, we can have our own duel for the Lanterne Rouge methinks :)

Track standing at the back of the pack? :D
    I might see you out on some of the Saturday runs in the next month or two if you're about. I nearly made last Saturday's one but was a minute or two late. Damn them and their punctuality!

I nearly made last Saturday's one but was a minute or two late. Damn them and their punctuality!
    That would have been an ideal opportunity to practice for the Swords League;)

Anyway, if you ever are a few minutes late, you should just head straight to Skerries rather than taking the Loughshinney route (and go through Lusk, rather than take the distributor road), as you should be able to catch the group up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Beasty wrote: »
    That would have been an ideal opportunity to practice for the Swords League;)

Anyway, if you ever are a few minutes late, you should just head straight to Skerries rather than taking the Loughshinney route (and go through Lusk, rather than take the distributor road), as you should be able to catch the group up there
    Or you can chase them down. The first hour is relatively sedate.

Advertisement