Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drum & Bass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

yeah deffo, now lets all get **** faced to some tunage!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

One of the best dnb tracks I ever heard! This tune kicks the sweet living bejaysus out of ya! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

EarlERizer wrote: »
    One of the best dnb tracks I ever heard! This tune kicks the sweet living bejaysus out of ya! :cool:

optical is an unreal producer man, he teamed up with ed rush a while back, virus recordings is were its at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Thanks for all your replies. There's too many posts to respond to individually, but there's some cracking tunes in there to get me started.

Now for the hard part.. how the fcuk do you mix this ****?

What type of DnB is this, and what makes it so?

• Advertisement

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. There's too many posts to respond to individually, but there's some cracking tunes in there to get me started.

Now for the hard part.. how the fcuk do you mix this ****?

lol no worries man, no need to reply to all posts man, thats just me n Es been us lol ,anyways, Es Cee would be better placed than meself to advise on mixing ,He mixes up a storm whereas I couldnt mix eggs for an omolette :o but not for the want of trying!

Suppose the first thing would be, what are you using? digital,cd,vinyl or what? the only advise I'd be qualified to offer would be (as the man ellaskins would say) "Practice & Enjoy" :)

Best of luck with it all m8 , be sure to hang about the boards,you'll meet loads of sound lads all willing and able (well most will be able lol) to offer help & advice for ya.

G

Es Cee will correct me if I'm wrong but I'll hazard a guess at "Neurofunk" :confused:

lol no worries man, no need to reply to all posts man, thats just me n Es been us lol ,anyways, Es Cee would be better placed than meself to advise on mixing ,He mixes up a storm whereas I couldnt mix eggs for an omolette :o but not for the want of trying!

Suppose the first thing would be, what are you using? digital,cd,vinyl or what? the only advise I'd be qualified to offer would be (as the man ellaskins would say) "Practice & Enjoy" :)

Best of luck with it all m8 , be sure to hang about the boards,you'll meet loads of sound lads all willing and able (well most will be able lol) to offer help & advice for ya.

G

Ha, cheers man!

I'm using 1210's with Traktor Scratch. I have a little experience mixing house and techno, but this is a different ball game!

Ha, cheers man!

I'm using 1210's with Traktor Scratch. I have a little experience mixing house and techno, but this is a different ball game!

Ah jaysus man your well ahead of me! Im still keeping it oldskool lol just the 1210's n a mixer ....but want to progress to using time coded vinyls (to get use from my several thousand mp3's lol)

My vinyl collection spans oldskool house,trance,acid,techno & hardcore,breakbeat,Jungle & dnb.

S'pose if you can mix House and Techno your better equiped than ya might think, sure it's the same basic skill....beatmatching, once your more familiar with the dnb sounds ya like you'll click into gear with it all.

You should have a browse through this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=268391&page=1085 dont let the title throw ya, there's a plethora of styles throughout the thread,some of the lads have savage mixes up on it (check out some of Es Cee's mixes - savage stuff)

Here's a tasty mix he did a short while ago, not dnb but savage 90's oldskool hardcore.

ES-CEE - PIANO PROGRESSION

http://www.mediafire.com/?0lmd8orsi4fouv3

tracklist:

ramos, supreme & the sunset regime - got to believe
    eruption - i need somebody
    dougal & eruption - i'm gonna get you
    dj ham - most uplifting (fresh fruit slices)
    mystic & fire - volume 1 A
    dj hixx - ultimate seduction
    dj slam - looking into the light
    midas - groove control
    ramos, supreme & the susnet regime - crowd control (dj slipmatt remix)
    brisk & intense - get live (stu j remix)
    jimmy j - get into the music
    future primitive - lift me up (slammin vinyl remix)
    jds - higher love
    happy tunes volume 2 - the anthem
    dj seduction - samplemania
    happy tunes volume 2 - pounding beats
    sunshine productions - take me to the top (billy bunter & jds remix)
    n-zo & dj invincible - funky sensation (billy bunter & jds remix)
    brisk & intense - muffdiver

Anyways, let us know how ya get on m8,good to have ya on board!

G

Ah jaysus man your well ahead of me! Im still keeping it oldskool lol just the 1210's n a mixer ....but want to progress to using time coded vinyls (to get use from my several thousand mp3's lol)

My vinyl collection spans oldskool house,trance,acid,techno & hardcore,breakbeat,Jungle & dnb.

S'pose if you can mix House and Techno your better equiped than ya might think, sure it's the same basic skill....beatmatching, once your more familiar with the dnb sounds ya like you'll click into gear with it all.

You should have a browse through this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=268391&page=1085 dont let the title throw ya, there's a plethora of styles throughout the thread,some of the lads have savage mixes up on it (check out some of Es Cee's mixes - savage stuff)

Here's a tasty mix he did a short while ago, not dnb but savage 90's oldskool hardcore.

ES-CEE - PIANO PROGRESSION

http://www.mediafire.com/?0lmd8orsi4fouv3

tracklist:

ramos, supreme & the sunset regime - got to believe
    eruption - i need somebody
    dougal & eruption - i'm gonna get you
    dj ham - most uplifting (fresh fruit slices)
    mystic & fire - volume 1 A
    dj hixx - ultimate seduction
    dj slam - looking into the light
    midas - groove control
    ramos, supreme & the susnet regime - crowd control (dj slipmatt remix)
    brisk & intense - get live (stu j remix)
    jimmy j - get into the music
    future primitive - lift me up (slammin vinyl remix)
    jds - higher love
    happy tunes volume 2 - the anthem
    dj seduction - samplemania
    happy tunes volume 2 - pounding beats
    sunshine productions - take me to the top (billy bunter & jds remix)
    n-zo & dj invincible - funky sensation (billy bunter & jds remix)
    brisk & intense - muffdiver

Anyways, let us know how ya get on m8,good to have ya on board!

G

Cool, thanks man, I'll check out those mixes.

I'll get the hang of it eventually I guess. It's just strange focusing on the snares instead of the kicks, which I hear is how most people match DnB. I'm used to long blends as well, so I'll have to get used to cutting up tracks.

Practice, practice, practice.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-drum-bass-albums-ever/lm/R325SW5538MGHL4

just wondering what people thought of this top 10 on Amazon?

I would agree with the number 1 choice for sure, i would certainly be in favour of at least 4 out of the top 10 choices those being

Goldie - Timeless
    LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression
    Roni Size - New Forms
    Adam F - Colours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Great tune off a deadly album.

Still play Doc Scott's "The Swarm" out all the time, never lost it's edge imo.

It's just a tune man, wouldn't get too hung up on subgenres tbh...

Other side of that 12" is miles better btw, so much weight in it, sounds like a 97 Dillinja tune the way it progresses, amazing stuff.

Think my favourite Code 3 tune has to be the one on Exit though

...when that sub kicks in on a big system i feel like a rockstar.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Fck I'm losing track of all the D&B threads around here! - Have to dig them out and merge them or something... if I can be arsed of course :pac:

It's just a tune man, wouldn't get too hung up on subgenres tbh...

Other side of that 12" is miles better btw.

I don't normally, but 90% of DnB doesn't interest me, at least what I've heard so far. If a silly genre tag points me in the right direction then I'll make use of it.

The flip side was good, but I actually preferred this one more. I wouldn't be interested in playing DnB on its own tbh, and this track is the type of thing I can imagine slipping in between other genre's. Some of the tracks posted here seem very contextual, I couldn't imagine them outside of a DnB set.

I don't normally, but 90% of DnB doesn't interest me, at least what I've heard so far.

I'd say 99% of it doesn't interest me, and I'm sitting in a room with thousands of records, doing a weekly radio show, running a label, running a monthly night, doing at least two other gigs a month, downloading gigs and gigs of mixes and scouring every blog, website and forum there is for more good stuff.

FML tbh.

What does the kind of stuff that interests you sound like?

For new and innovative, but still rootsy sounding deep / jazzy / electronic / soulful stuff you're probably going to like the following:

Seba

Seba & Paradox

Macc (usually this experimental, not usually this jazzy)

Fracture and Neptune (recent stuff has been a bit less melodic, but they're still probably in my top 10 favourite producers working today)

ASC - all his stuff of late has been proper amazing, check his Symbol series for some deadly work. Ambient / Drone / Dnb / Downtempo... His album on Auxiliary was savage too.

Breakage - sort of jumped ship for Dubstep lately, amazing early releases but it was only towards the end of his career that he got really interesting IMO. this is an all time classic:

and so is this, for completely different reasons:

From Ireland, there's some great tunes out by Calibre - "Second Sun" is the album to check out, the most accessible, melodic and just plain beautiful of all the ones he's put out (and he's put out a lot of music, probably the most prolific electronic musician I can think of, Irish or otherwise.

This is off last year's album "Even If".

As for (modern) labels to check out, have a look for Subtle Audio, Arctic Music, Exit, Auxiliary, Warm Communications, Signature, Soul:R (Marcus Intalex' label - check out the DAT:Music series of compilations, they're both very good), Critical, Cylon (not the most prolific of labels, but Loxy's "CX" podcasts are some of the finest series of mixes going since the Autonomic podcasts stopped), Absys, Outsider, Kos.Mos, etc etc.

Older stuff: (early) Metalheadz, Good Looking, Source Direct, Looking Good, 720, Certificate 18, anything by Photek, Source Direct, J Majik (pre 1999), any Dillinja pre-1997, any Adam F pre-1998, Any Blame pre-2003 etc etc etc.

Let me know how you get on with those anyway!

If you're in Dublin you can tune in and hear me play stuff like this on the radio every Wednesday at 9pm on 106.4FM (repeated at 4am on Saturday night)

:)

Absolutely loving that stuff! Especially ASC, Calibre and Breakage. That's exactly what I'm into. That music just cuts me in two. I like my house and techno, but there's nothing like those breaks when they start rolling out. Incredible feeling.

I'll roll up my sleeves and start checking out those labels as well. Very comprehensive package my man, cheers!

Nice one mate, glad you're feeling them!

I'll have a think for more stuff in a similar vein, and see what I can come up with...

Nice one mate, glad you're feeling them!

I'll have a think for more stuff in a similar vein, and see what I can come up with...

Cool beans. Much appreciated.

Es , help me out here, please post up a listing as to subgenres and how to differentiate ..... coz fookedifino :confused: .... a timeline if you will! Cheers Buddy.

Well, like I said I'm not really into subgenres, I buy and play records from every niche and corner and mix them all together, and think that sticking to one single facet of a hugely diverse genre is a bit like shooting yourself in the foot...

That said, I love you guys, so here comes a potted history of the genre complete with youtube examples. Please bear in mind I have some pretty strong ideas though, and not everyone will agree with me.

You all know the basic story - Acid House blows up in 88, by 1990 harder Belgian rave tracks are filtering across the water as the Low Countries start to get into the swing of things... The Dutch turn Belgian Rave / New Beat into Hardcore and then Gabber, while over in England things take a completely different direction and UK Hardcore basically consists of pilled up nutters falling over themselves to grab the nearest four or five records, run them through a sampler and and glue them all together, with the Breakbeats and cut-and-paste aesthetic of 80's Hip Hop being as big of an influence as Electro and Techno were. Pretty much the only heads in London who had access to decent sound systems were the dub Reggae heads, who came with their soundsystem culture of Bass music, MC's, the cutting of Dubplates, the use of Pirate radio and so on and so forth.

Fast forward this about three years and 4 Hero, Rufige Cru, 2 Bad Mice, Ratty and Tango, DJ Hype, Shut Up & Dance, DJ Trax, Omni Trio and many others are beginning to make records that increasingly no longer quite count as Hardcore:

Production techniques improved, the music sped up a little, and Jungle takes off, as a result of the younger brothers and nephews of all the old London / Ipswich soundsystems starting to make tunes of their own after being exposed to the previously quite white Acid House scene.

Despite being the first ever homegrown UK electronic music genre, Jungle gets in the headlines for all the wrong reasons, with tales of crack fuelled violence, moody raves, muggings etc etc - as one writer put it "the racist myth that Jungle turned every raver's happy Woodstock into an Altamont with bassbins "

Meanwhile, running roughly in parallel, DJ's like Bukem and Fabio had been exploring an altogether smoother side of the music - legendary club "Speed" at the Mars Bar became known for a lower less frenetic tempo, and music that replaced ragga samples with pads and ambient bits ripped from Chicago house breakdowns, Vangelis records and the likes.

The media labelled it as "Intelligent Drum 'n Bass", but Fabio called his Jazzier take on the style "Liquid Funk", and was politely ignored for his trouble until around 2004 when for some reason the sound had a huge resurgence.

Meanwhile Jungle was on it's last legs, and was mutating in two directions; in one direction, you had the producers of all these seminal tunes waking up to the fact that now they were being offered decent sums of cash to play their records out, and they were beginning to notice that all those crazily intricate drum tracks with off the wall arrangements were an absolute **** to mix; their solution was to tone down the craziness of the drums, and to turn the bass up to 11. This became known as "Jump Up", and it's been the mainstay of all the big DnB events ever since.

On the other hand, in a dark grimy basement of a vacant office a bunch of heads were huddling around smoking weed in the faint lights of a big pile of samplers, running basslines through banks of guitar FX pedals and taking Jungle sonics and turning them into the bleak dystopian angry paranoid head**** that would become known as Techstep, which ruled the roost from late 95 to 97-ish :

"Neurofunk" is a term that has had an awful lot of absolute horse****e written about it it, starting with Simon Reynolds who coined it in his book "Energy Flash" - arguments about what is Neurofunk and what is Techstep have raged across the internet for at least as long as either has been discussed on the internet, suffice to say that Neurofunk was coined pretty much just to describe the slightly faster and more rhythmically simplistic tunes that Ed Rush & Optical, Stakka & Skynet, Ram Trilogy, Kraken and many others were starting to make from 98 onwards. The "Wormhole" album that Ed Rush and Optical did in 98, Ram Trilogy's "Molten Beats" lp and the Stakka & Skynet's album are pretty much the standards.

That sort of carry on was pretty much the reason the media declared DnB to be dead - making tunes harder and faster, all with the same boom TISH and just racing everyone else to come up with a more tweaked out midrange sound to layer over your bass became an end in itself, as evidenced by the formidable hit making partnership Bad Company, who took what the likes of Ed Rush & Optical and Andy C and his crew were doing and upped the intensity, creating a sound that was basically a hair's breadth away from being Heavy Metal for people who bought computer magazines.

This led to money success and riches beyond their dreams, followed by a disconcerting move toward out and out cheese as DJ Fresh's influence over the group increased to the point he was making the tunes and the other three lads were basically just doing the DJ work (yes, that very same DJ Fresh who got a UK number 1 off the back of a Lucozade ad recently)

Bad Company's last gasp before breaking up was this - note the retarded melody that sounds like a :

6 months after Bad Company broke up a trio of unknown Australians called Pendulum saw a gap in the market for stuff that sounded like Bad Company and released this, at a time when the internet was spreading DnB culture around the world (by this stage many Irish producers had already had vinyl releases on homegrown and UK and US and European labels - Beta 2, Zero Tolerance, Calibre, [Genetix], and a young Brazilian chap called Marky had already made serious waves with his first few releases as well)

Vault and Pendulum sort of set the agenda for big room main event stuff for years to come; Sub Focus, Camo & Krooked, the bulk of Hospital's output since 2003, High Contrast, State Of Mind, Concord Dawn, Netsky etc etc etc, all the really bland high energy fodder for UK student night crowds basically. Someone else in this thread called it "future dnb" - I've never heard that term applied to stuff like this before, but I'll either laugh or throw up into my mouth if I hear it used thus again.

There's more, but I'm sick of typing.

• Advertisement

Very informative. Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I agree on Breakage. Hes Got some great tunes, great producer. Must check out more of his drum and bass releases, never knew he released DnB stuff.

Not drum and bass, but one of my favourite dubstep tunes of all time:

Better than 90% of the saturated brostep shíte out nowadays.

CyberWaste wrote: »
    I agree on Breakage. Hes Got some great tunes, great producer. Must check out more of his drum and bass releases, never knew he released DnB stuff.

Not drum and bass, but one of my favourite dubstep tunes of all time:

Better than 90% of the saturated brostep shíte out nowadays.

Breakage did a rake of amazing DnB man, most of it came out on Dublin's Bassbin label, here's a few of my favourite Breakage tunes:

Jaysus Steve fair balls t'ya , for the info n the love lol :D ...... have to apologize though, that comment to Es Cee was a mere tongue in cheek remark as Es (& those who know me) already know I'm no genre junkie, Much like yourself I prefer to listen too and use whatever sounds good to me regardless of whatever pigeon hole it's 'supposed' to be in!

There are 3 styles of music , Sh1thot , **** & Country :D

Nice one for taking the time to give us a clear picture of it all, no excuses now for me generalising with terms like 'dnb', 'jungle', 'hardcore' & 'oldskool' ......... or I might just start making up names for it meself lol

Cheers man!:cool:

No worries boss, seemed like a good idea to have a few posts like this that I can link to for future reference anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Here Steve, just wondering - would you not rate Moving Shadow at all?

Here Steve, just wondering - would you not rate Moving Shadow at all?

Definitely man, but their most creative period IMO (when they were consistently putting out amazing and gamechanging music week in week out) was already well over by the time I started seriously buying tunes...

To this day they're still a pretty glaring gap in my record collection, mainly because the vast bulk of their releases were so good you don't often come across them in bargain bins.

But yeah, absolutely seminal label! As were Reinforced, obviously, but again I missed out on what I would call their finest years, although for some reason I have way more classic R than I have Shadow...

I'd say a lack of early Prototype, No U Turn and early Moving Shadow are the achilles heel of my record collection, truth be told. I'm forever having to be very quiet when the topic comes up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Yeah, Moving Shadow was my favourite dnb label back in the late nineties along with the Metalheadz stuff I was picking up. Their 98.2 compilation was an absolute classic and for the princely sum of 2 quid! I loved the jazzy funky sound they were coming out at the time from the likes of EZ Rollers and Flytronix.

I have a couple of things from early like Omni Trio's volume 1 with Renegade Snares and a couple of other tunes nad 2 Bad Mice Bombscare remixes but most is from about 96/7-2000. If there was anything that you were interested in having you could PM me.

And after looking around I finally found the ID to a promo 12" of Moving Shadow I had with no identifying stickers on it that was wrecking my head for years...

Quality is rubbish but it's the only version I could find of it. Quality tune...

Other MS I got over the years

Yeah, Moving Shadow was my favourite dnb label back in the late nineties along with the Metalheadz stuff I was picking up. Their 98.2 compilation was an absolute classic and for the princely sum of 2 quid! I loved the jazzy funky sound they were coming out at the time from the likes of EZ Rollers and Flytronix.

I have a couple of things from early like Omni Trio's volume 1 with Renegade Snares and a couple of other tunes nad 2 Bad Mice Bombscare remixes but most is from about 96/7-2000. If there was anything that you were interested in having you could PM me.

And after looking around I finally found the ID to a promo 12" of Moving Shadow I had with no identifying stickers on it that was wrecking my head for years...

Quality is rubbish but it's the only version I could find of it. Quality tune...

Other MS I got over the years

Moving Shadow are one of if not The best labels from the good aul days, my personal label favs from the early 90's would be Suburban Base, Moving Shadows,Reinforced,Ram ...... currently in the process of bulking up my collection (fookin pricey habit these days!)

originally bought for £5 back in 93/94 ..... replacing it cost me £25 :rolleyes:

but worth every penny! :D "Fookin voodoo magic man"

• Advertisement

Ha, nice list, I actually have most of those believe it or not!

If you have any old Dom & Roland though I'd be very interested, really need a copy of "Can't Punish Me" and "The Storm" and a copy of "The Planets"...

Disgusting tune!

Advertisement