Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The stuff you listen to when you are not listening to unz, unz, unz thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Such a corny way to go…

facepalm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Post rock always reminds me of the heady days of university, when the greatest skill necessary was balancing drug consumption and study.
    Played in a load of post-rock bands over the years, mainly to counter-act the fact my main band was very pop orientated. Most lasted only a few blissful stoned out jams, but by gum it was enjoyable.

Here's one track in that vein I recently rediscovered which sums up the sort of rougher more out of tune stuff ...

Used to listen to Mogwai's EP+6 driving through the wicklow mountains when there was snow up there. Probably one of the highlights of my life, and the guys and girls that were there bring it up fondly everytime I see them.

Did my ethnomusicology thesis on Sigur Ros actually. That's when I truly nailed the balance of academic endeavour and drug consumption!!:D

But my all time favourite post rock/instrumental track is this absolutely wonderful piece of music.....

edit: 2.54 in that track still brings tears to my eyes. fcuking stunning.

Such a corny way to go…

haha proper lol at that. post of the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    Used to listen to Mogwai's EP+6 driving through the wicklow mountains when there was snow up there. Probably one of the highlights of my life, and the guys and girls that were there bring it up fondly everytime I see them.

Did my ethnomusicology thesis on Sigur Ros actually. That's when I truly nailed the balance of academic endeavour and drug consumption!!:D

But my all time favourite post rock/instrumental track is this absolutely wonderful piece of music.....

edit: 2.54 in that track still brings tears to my eyes. fcuking stunning.

Its funny I nevere listened to a huge amount of Mogwai but this track got me back into listening to guitar based music after to listening solely to dance for a couple of years:

When it kicks in it is indescribably beautiful.

This morning I was listening to it in the car going to work to remind me how great it is and as it was finishing a hot air balloon flew over the car. It was a perfect moment.

When it kicks in it is indescribably beautiful.

agreed. if you don't get the shivers when that kicks in, your limbic system isn't working.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    agreed. if you don't get the shivers when that kicks in, your limbic system isn't working.

Talking about shivers running down your spine, if this doesn't get you nothing will…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Heres another two tracks ive played recently,

First one used on the soundtrack to Jackie Brown, Across 110th street, 110th street being where Harlem begins in upper manhatten to put into context what all he is saying begins across 110th street in case you didnt know, I was in NY in 1999 & my mate knew his way round the entire city having lived & worked there for about a year, we had a session one night that went on till the morning hours when we went buzzing into the city, he brought me on the subway up to 125th street & i was totally oblivious to where we where, when we went up the steps from the subway it was like a cold bucket of water in my chilled out party face as we were slap bang in the centre of Harlem:eek:, Not a white, asian, latin american man or woman to be seen & by jaysus two drunk paddys were getting some stares. I seriously was snapped out of my buzz for that 10 mins walking up Martin luther king Blvd that crosses malcolm X avenue!!!. After we left he told me that you are safe enough in the day just we wouldnt have gotten out of there at night.

Second track is a classic from James brown, The Funky Drummer, when you hear the 'Funky Drummer' do his solo in it you will recognise it that it was sampled & used in a few acid house tracks many moons ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Anyone else remember when these lads were making music that really meant something? This got me going

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

An amazing modern classical piece taken from the album 'Memoryhouse' by Max Richter.

November

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Reggae Reggae...Especially remember the first one from GTA London all the way back on the Playstation1. :cool:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭francois

Fantastic band, was lucky to see them and their various off-shoots, chillout at it's best

Spiritualized-saw the lase guided tour in the rock garden on a tuesday night-one of the best gigs i have ever seen

Would love to have seen Spiritualized live in the Lazer Guided Melodies time, can only imagine how good a gig it was - that album remains all these years later as one of my most frequently revisited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dirt bird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I cant listen to this unless its blaring. Otherwise you're defeating the purpose.

This is electronic but very much experimental, ambient and noise - Sasu Ripatti does produce some more typical house/techno under different aliases but I love the captivating nature of his music as Vladislav Delay... defo won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Vladislav Delay - the fourth quarter (Part 1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭R.Shackleford

Always reminds me of fun times.

I read a while back a good review on the recent album 'Le Noise' by Neil Young - only listened to one of the tracks the other day and loving it, have to pick up the album soon.

Neil Young - Peaceful Valley Boulevard

Jesus some of the post rock that has come out on the n5md label is stunning, my amazon basket is over-fckin-flowing.

Bitcrush - Of Embers

Lights Out Asia - Shifting Sands Wreck Ships

n5md is an amazing label, got a few releases in 2008/2009 but kinda forgot to see what they've been at since, a whole load out in 2010 so lots of catching up to do.

http://www.discogs.com/label/n5MD

Ah holy crap that Lights Out Asia track is unreal, spectacular.

• Advertisement

I've annoyed people on facebook about this album so I'll annoy you guys here as well.

These guys were true pioneers.

From Wikipedia:

Eskimo is an album by The Residents that was originally supposed to follow 1977's Fingerprince. However, due to many delays and arguments with management, it was not released until 1979. Upon release it was hailed as the group's best record to date.
    The pieces on Eskimo are generally made up of sound effects, occasional playing on home-made instruments and gibberish standing in for actual Inuit. The stories were all created by the group and, despite their claims otherwise, is not meant to be a true historical document of life in the Arctic. Rather, it is a symbolic criticism of how Western culture dealt a deathblow to the religions and tribal customs of Native Americans.

From Head Heritage:

The Residents make concept albums, or as John Oswald puts it: ‘unified and inter-referential aggregates’. Don’t let this put you off, though. The Residents have been saving the concept album from its worst excesses of bombast and self-indulgence for over two decades now. Each Residents album is a ‘unified aggregate’ in that each starts from an idea which holds the 45 minute journey together. What is so significantly different about The Residents is that they use the initial idea as the springboard for some of the most perplexingly fascinating music you are ever likely to hear. The Residents’ world is a mischievous place where even their own heroes and influences are frequently unceremoniously slaughtered in cover versions of uncompromising oddness. The Residents also manage to avoid accusations of kookiness and weirdness-for-the-sake-of-it, by virtue of their apparent conviction that this music is not difficult. It’s actually normal, as long as you have Residential ears on. Resident ears don’t make the listener feel like a kook at all. They reveal instead a David Lynch-ian world inhabited by grotesques and simultaneously silly and frightening characters, events and emotions. Welcome to the sound of pop and rock music as heard through the filter of a severe ‘flu fever in a darkened room.

So, to ‘Eskimo’. The Residents are arch myth-makers, and of all their albums this one seems to have the greatest amount of myths and legendary stories attached to it. I won’t go into the foggy rumours here, as you can find out far more about this elsewhere. Suffice to say though, that one story has it that The Residents, in dispute with their record company, ran away to England with the master tapes of this recording, that they thought it was possibly pushing too far into pretentious territory and that it almost never saw the light of day. Thank goodness it did, as it’s my favourite Residents album, or at least the one I play most. Every winter it comes out to chill me to the bone with its ice-cold invocations.

Unlike most Residents albums this tells its story not song by song, but as one long tone poem. Although divided into six tracks, the album plays as a whole, and in the liner notes the listener is told that ‘Eskimo should be played in its entirety. A relaxed state of mind is essential’. Instead of relying on the music to tell the story, liner notes are provided, which the listener is encouraged to read along with the music.*

The whole album is an ethno-forgery of enormous proportions. Eno has said that this album was instrumental in the formulation of the general idea for ‘My Life in the Bush of Ghosts’ in that he wanted to create a psychedelic vision of Africa in a way that, with this album, The Residents had evoked a psychedelic vision of the North Pole. The Residents are alleged to have constructed many of their own instruments for this recording which were supposedly tuned to Eskimo tunings (a definite nod to Harry Partch), and one of this album’s strengths is the difficulty of identifying the instruments being used.

From Android 666:

Seriously lads check this out, the album cover tells you to listen to this with headphones and a warm blanket and by the time you've finished listening to it you definitely need that blanket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 slut1

what genre should I put this track in? I'm not sure, any help? http://soundcloud.com/slut1/the-noisy-freaks-d-r-e-a-m-slut1-remix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

slut1 wrote: »
    what genre should I put this track in? I'm not sure, any help? http://soundcloud.com/slut1/the-noisy-freaks-d-r-e-a-m-slut1-remix
    This is getting ridiculous now

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

slut1 wrote: »

Maybe you should post it on http://www.emireland.com/ they are very knowledgable and helpful over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Maybe you should post it on http://www.emireland.com/ they are very knowledgable and helpful over there

Seconded, good place to get your music out there.

This thread needs more from the Cocteau Twins, love them. Oh and I've changed the name to one that was suggested early on.

Pandora (For Cindy)

Amelia

Love this too, another favourite household album at the moment.

Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - The Way

• Advertisement

Like some Beck now and again, tends to be more summertime listening though - cruising along, windows open, Beck blasting. Oh and kids asking 'when are we there'.

Devil's Haircut

Advertisement