Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Just been told Eircom upgraded me from 3mb to 8mb for free, did a speedtest and it's true! I'm up to 7mb, and I usually had less than 2mb! Anyone have any information on this new illegal downloading crackdown? How it'll work? I don't use torrents or anything, but do they consider downloading legal stems etc from mediafire etc as illegal, just because of the sites?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Just been told Eircom upgraded me from 3mb to 8mb for free, did a speedtest and it's true! I'm up to 7mb, and I usually had less than 2mb! Anyone have any information on this new illegal downloading crackdown? How it'll work? I don't use torrents or anything, but do they consider downloading legal stems etc from mediafire etc as illegal, just because of the sites?

Must get on to them for an increase in my speed too.

Be interested too as to how they will monitor and what they deem to be illegal downloads - the article in the Irish Times today specified that IRMA and an appointed company would monitor peer to peer sharing and provide detail on a weekly basis to Eircom, no mentioned of the likes of rapidshare, mediafire etc. Wonder what their position is on youtube?!

Must get on to them for an increase in my speed too.

Be interested too as to how they will monitor and what they deem to be illegal downloads - the article in the Irish Times today specified that IRMA and an appointed company would monitor peer to peer sharing and provide detail on a weekly basis to Eircom, no mentioned of the likes of rapidshare, mediafire etc. Wonder what their position is on youtube?!

There's a little thing on their site where you can check whether or not your area is ready for NGB, and if it is you'll get an email soon enough saying you've been upgrading.

There's a thread in the broadband forum, and it seems like it's more for torrents than simple filesharing sites.

There's a little thing on their site where you can check whether or not your area is ready for NGB, and if it is you'll get an email soon enough saying you've been upgrading.

There's a thread in the broadband forum, and it seems like it's more for torrents than simple filesharing sites.

Cool, I'll have a look there so.

If it's torrents I'm fine, I was never arsed going to the apparent trouble of setting them up etc! I did have a Soulseek addiction a couple of years ago but I've shook that one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

will a vpn service hide your IP address from Eircom?

• Advertisement

ianuss wrote: »
    will a vpn service hide your IP address from Eircom?

I know a proxy won't help, but it sounds like they can tell pretty well who's doing what, so I don't know about VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I don't really download any music illegally so I'm not too fussed about that side of it but I do download a good few tv shows using torrents. I suppose the nerds over in the broadband forum will figure it all out and hopefully word will spread over to here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I know a proxy won't help, but it sounds like they can tell pretty well who's doing what, so I don't know about VPN.

Neither will do you much good. VPN + VMWare *might* work. All the major poker companies have portal software which allows them to do a ridiculous comprehensive traceroute, through proxies and all that ****. Mildly illegal, I'm aware, but thats never stopped big companies before. Guaranteed whoevers working for Eircom have one better. Not that they need it or anything.

Only definite solution is to use mTorrent, encrypt torrents, use private trackers, change your port every 8 hours and do the whole lot through The Onion Router. Much of a muchness anyway as IRMA don't need any sort of hard evidence whatsoever to give you your three strikes. They're completely above the law in this regard.

EDIT: I've been informed that this is a matter of company policy rather than ''law'', so the EU can't do a fecking thing.
    Eircom, Ireland's largest ISP, has decided to snuffle up to the entertainment industry's hindquarters and become the first European ISP to actively practice "3 strikes": if you are accused (without proof) of three acts of copyright infringement, they will take away Internet access from your entire household for a year.

Ireland is the first country in the world where a system of "graduated response" is being put in place. Under the pilot scheme, Eircom customers who illegally share copyrighted music will get three warnings before having their broadband service cut off for a year.

The Irish Recorded Music Association (Irma), whose members include EMI, Sony, Universal and Warner, reached an out-of-court settlement with Eircom in February 2009 under which the telecoms company agreed to introduce such a system for its 750,000 broadband users.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/05/24/irelands-largest-isp.html

As for the NGB thing, Eircom ''update'' you with a **** contention ratio and also start enforcing their ridiculous download caps (60gb/month IIRC). Believe me, they wouldn't be giving you anything ''free'' if it wasn't in their best interests. You'll never hit proper speeds again once the rollout is complete and you'll be paying more.

When have you ever known those scumbags to give you any leeway?

''Up to 8MB'' being the key phrase here. Unlimited usage w/ a ''fair usage'' policy of about 50-60gb a month being the other bit of subterfuge.

Just 22 more people needed before they're a recognised political party

http://pirateparty.ie/

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPREDator

Ho ho ho :D

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Just 22 more people needed before they're a recognised political party

http://pirateparty.ie/

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPREDator

Ho ho ho :D

The pirate party are huge in Germany etc- they've some people as elected politicians, and like 15,000 members, and even bigger in Sweden obviously. If it wasn't for the intellectual property stuff they'd be great. Those laws would mean basically no money for musicians, so I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Really? VPN won't do? On the broadband forums they said that if you have a VPN you have a different IP Address and all the traffic is encrypted so there is no way your isp can see what you are doing. I don't really download much music, and I don't 'share' any at all. I heard before that really they are going after people who are actively sharing music - specifically commercial/chart music. I never download or share any of this. Plus, is it only if you are with Eircom? Are the other providers doing this? Is it just a matter of time?

I suppose it won't be long till we find out what works and what doesn't. If someone is using a vpn and they get a warning, we'll know it does not work.

Zascar wrote: »
    Really? VPN won't do? On the broadband forums they said that if you have a VPN you have a different IP Address and all the traffic is encrypted so there is no way your isp can see what you are doing.

A lot of conflicting info. IPREDator I'd trust, other VPNs configured by less able people; not so much....
    I don't really download much music, and I don't 'share' any at all. I heard before that really they are going after people who are actively sharing music - specifically commercial/chart music. I never download or share any of this. Plus, is it only if you are with Eircom? Are the other providers doing this? Is it just a matter of time?

Just Eircom so far, UPC are up in court next. They're going after *everyone* as its in both companies best interests to knock heavy downloaders off. You can be damn sure anyone using a lot of bandwith will be targetted, legitimate or not, as this is a matter of company policy rather than law and there is no respite. You agreed to this treatment when signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

UPC have so far said they won't be changing policy unless court ordered to do so.

So how does the 3 strikes work anyway? Do you get a couple of slaps on the wrists first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Not 100% sure of how the ISP's have their systems set up but the whole thing is fundamentally flawed because a lot of users use Dynamic IP addresses when accessing music site etc. which means the IP of that PC is changing all the time.

Fairly regularly i have been on Rapidshare to D/L something (all legal ahem) & have been told that i have to wait as my IP is either currently D/Ling something or has been in the last 10 mins when i havnt been on in ages..........now that means the ISP would come knocking on my door with potential legal action when it wasnt me so i dont know how legally they can make it stick unless they have far advanced technology that doesnt use IP addresses to monitor the illegal downloading??

joker77 wrote: »
    UPC have so far said they won't be changing policy unless court ordered to do so.

So how does the 3 strikes work anyway? Do you get a couple of slaps on the wrists first?

UPC can posture all the want; they're already en route to court and they're going to roll over as the high court has already set the precedent.

3 Strikes = Verbal warning, Written warning, Gonzo.

They're processing only 50 a week, and no word on the gap between your ''first strike'' and your first warning. Might be the case where you're disconnected for something from months prior after getting your first warning and stopping.

I'm guessing soon enough all providers will be doing it. Torrents as a method of sharing will go out the window - like things like Kazaa and Limewire have - and everyone will move into newer methods of simple file sharing like rapidshare.

I only ever download the odd accapella/stem, maybe the odd track, from zippyshare so it looks like I'm alright. More worrying to me is the blog license. Has anyone heard this? A few of the big Irish bloggers - like Nialler9 - have been threatened by IMRO about paying a €300 or so license to post music on a blog. I wonder what's next like.

Not 100% sure of how the ISP's have their systems set up but the whole thing is fundamentally flawed because a lot of users use Dynamic IP addresses when accessing music site etc. which means the IP of that PC is changing all the time.
    Most of the time your router will keep the same IP Address, if you're using broadband. Even if you unplug the router and restart it, it would probably keep the same IP Address. I'm fairly sure that the ISP would know which connection on their line was yours
    Fairly regularly i have been on Rapidshare to D/L something (all legal ahem) & have been told that i have to wait as my IP is either currently D/Ling something or has been in the last 10 mins when i havnt been on in ages..........now that means the ISP would come knocking on my door with potential legal action when it wasnt me so i dont know how legally they can make it stick unless they have far advanced technology that doesnt use IP addresses to monitor the illegal downloading??
    That's odd now - do you share the internet connection with anyone? Is it in your gaff with just you using it? Is it wired or wireless?
    It seems weird that if you're sure you're the only person using that connection, that rapidshare would give out like that.

A few of the big Irish bloggers - like Nialler9 - have been threatened by IMRO about paying a €300 or so license to post music on a blog. I wonder what's next like.

To post or to host?

Where is the blog hosted?

The ****ers can almost certainly be taken to court for harrasment/malfeasance.

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    To post or to host?

Where is the blog hosted?

The ****ers can almost certainly be taken to court for harrasment/malfeasance.

Post, as in putting up a link to a stream of the track, usually one of those direct links.

Post, as in putting up a link to a stream of the track, usually one of those direct links.

Just read that :eek:

http://www.nialler9.com/2010/05/04/music-blogger-imro-licence/#more-8287

This is getting so serious. The poor ****ers reckon they're going to get youtube/pitchfork/mtv etc... and all the international companies to pay a licence.

IRMA/IMRO are going to destroy the internet through sheer greed.

• Advertisement

''IMRO rang me, asked me to buy a license since some of these bands would be imro registered, and when I asked if it was alright to play my own music – since I am also imro registered – I was told that I couldnt. Even if I wanted to do a full 24/7 radio stream playing only my own material, I would still need a license. Thats how stupid that is.''

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Did anyone see this thread on emi? Only a matter of days after the headshops are banned from selling meph, and the Irish market is now awash with proper mdma pills, the likes of which we have not seen in nearly 2 years. Oh the ironing!

Did anyone see this thread on emi? Only a matter of days after the headshops are banned from selling meph, and the Irish market is now awash with proper mdma pills, the likes of which we have not seen in nearly 2 years. Oh the ironing!

The MDMA thread is going to have a massive revival :pac:

Sound

Wow... dreams can come true!

I sense a boards night out :D

Ah feckin hell, I'm getting all breathless and sh1t reading that - I hope it's not a one hit wonder over the weekend.

Yes we definitely need another boards night, would like to see a few new faces too - get everyone out...

Yes we definitely need another boards night, would like to see a few new faces too - get everyone out...

Well I tried in fairness....

You did, fair play, sorry I wish I could have made it myself. Lets see if we can find a really good gig some time in the not too distant future that we can go to... Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Advertisement