Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road to the Raid

Options
  • 04-12-2009 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Since I started cyclicling actively (as opposed to just commuting) I have wanted to do a multi day event. I suppose it is harking back to a childhood fantasy of being a Kelly, Millar or Lemonde. For me cycling has always been about English speaking riders.

Anyway I have two cycling goals next year.

(1) Tour de Munster in August: http://www.tourdemunster.com/
    Next year this will be in aid of Down Sydrome Association of Munster, which is a charity that it ould mean something to me to raise funds for.

(2) Raid Pyrenean: http://www.velopeloton.com/cycling/raid-pyrenees/
    700km over 4.5 days across some of the toughest climbs that Europe has to offer.

The interesting thing about these is that I am quiet possibly the poorest climber on Boards. However, I like the effort in/achievement out associated with climbing.

In order to help prepare for these two challenges I will shortly be commencing a structured training programme and nutrition programme (designed by my new coach Mr. Sherlock). I am looking forward to this immensely I have to say. In that I am the type of person that needs goals.

My present weight is 14st12lbs (from 17st6lbs 20 in March 2008), this is the lightest that I have been in over 12 years.
    The weight goal is to get to 13st by April and then take it from there.

As far as cycle training, I envisage one 3-5 hour cycle at weekends over the winter with up to two shorter cycles mid week (possibly hill repeats before work/after work).

As we move to spring/early summer, I will more than likely need two meaningful rides a week, and an ability to put back to back cycles in place. Ryan has already been helpful here in recommending some simple steps for post ride recovery (which I had not been doing up to now.)

I hope to share the weekly ritual humiliation with you all as we progress thru the weeks and months leading up to the Raid itself. All critiques/tips etc will be recd with an open mind (that is not to say I will do anything about them however).

Anyway, best of luck to all the other thread starters with your goals. Hopefully we will all have a lucky year regarding staying fit/healthy and avoiding mishaps etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

My present weight is 14st12lbs (from 17st6lbs 20 in March 2008), this is the lightest that I have been in over 12 years.

Thats pretty damn impressive

The interesting thing about these is that I am quiet possibly the poorest climber on Boards

You cycled Priests Leap which makes this argument a fail.

Best of luck with your training and the Pyrenean peaks, I'm looking forward to reading your log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

ROK ON wrote: »
    Si

I am quiet possibly the poorest climber on Boards

How dare you try and rob my title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Left home at 9.30am this morning for what was to be a 90km ride taking in 3 climbs twice (a 2*45km out and back circuit). The idea was to get 3.5 to 4hrs of data to send to my coach.

The weather deteriorated to such a point that high winds and driving rain meant that I cut short the original plan and did 57km. Took approximately 2h45m. By that stage I was wetter than I had ever been, my face was raw from the bitterly cold rain and wind. A sheep farmer out in the weather asked me if I was mad. Quiet possibly.

The route that I actually did was as follows
    http://www.mapmyride.com/route/ie/kenmare/897126002618664570

My Garmin died on the last climb (the ascent out of the Black Valley up to Molls Gap) - so all my hard work was for naught from a data point of view.

The Garmin is probably toast now, in that 4 hours after I have gotten home it still will not switch on even though I have tried recharging etc. I am assuming that it just got hot with way too much water.

Anyway, a thoroughly miserable ride. But at least I got out.
    Strange thing was that the climbs were easy, but the descents were hellish due to the wind. I actually had to gear down to the 39ring in order to descend from Molls Gap to Kenmare. The wind was so bad that despite turning the pedals, I came to an almost stop at the first hairpin.

Nuts.

Anyway as they say in the pirates, ". . .the beatings will continue until morale improves . . ."

Had a 90min easy cycle planned for this evening.
    Started badly in that while trying to cross Luas tracks James street at a right angle my front wheel slipped into the track.
    Splat. Hit floor hard. Badly bruised shoulder and hip while elbow is very sore.
    Anyway time to grit my teeth and HTFU. Continued on and spent about 2hours on a route following the outer ring road to Saggart and back to D15.
    Practised cadence and spent majority of trip in 39 ring.
    Home. Sandwich and a gorgeous bowl of spicy Moroccon soup with chickpeas and chicken.
    Then shower.

Despite soreness I feel great.
    Apparently I have a hill TT on Cruagh nextweek. That should be great fun altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

OUCH!! Hope it's just bruising and nothing else. It was a nice night to get out. Just back myself from the mountains,eyes were out on stalks looking out for manhole covers.

• Advertisement

80km with 1200m of climbing. Perfect conditions. Very little sleep meant that this was a lot harder than anticipated. Saw a lovely Cervelo out on the road.

Anyway week one complete with 200km (including commute and a short midweek ride) under the belt.

Tried a savage climb today (an up an back a back road (boreen really). Just over 1 km at 17%. Felt surprisingly ok, but was glad when the road ended at a house gate, would have not relished to have kept going.

Today my coach (Ryan) set me a task of a 5.6km TT up Cruagh and Kilakee. It started at the bridge past the Merry Plougboy and finished at the lay-by at top of Kilakee.
    The first 2km is the toughest in that it is circa 10%.

Anyway as is cycled toward the start on my 13kg commuting bike who rode up past me but Ryan.
    That was unexpected and a bit embarrassing in that I wanted no one to witness my pain.

Anyway took on some fluid and set off with Ryan providing an excellent pacing service thru the tough first 2km. Excellent advice when I was pushing too hard and when go sustain the pace.
    After 2k he turned off to continue his own training and I progressed up toward Kilakee.

Heart rate for the effort was maintained between 175 - 180 bpm for most of the climb.
    I made it to the top in 26m 47s.
    Two points, I was pleased in that it was inside 30min and averaged 11.2kmph and this was done on a very heavy but highly geared bike.
    However if I was prepared to spend more time in the red I could have put in a better time. So something to work at there.
    I climbed at the upper end of the HR that I can sustain.
    While weight loss and endurance are very important to my efforts I also want to get to a situation where I can climb the Tourmalet in 90mins. If I could do it today it would more than likely take well over 2 hours.

There were 4 other cyclists heading up Cruagh today. I am not the only crazy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Were you told to complete it in a specific time, go your hardest or maintain a heart rate range?

Told to pace at start anx then push hard. I started hard the paced myself and tried to go hard but just kept kept going at a nice tempo (for me).
    I luke hanging outside the pain cave but am afraid of what's inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Good stuff with sticking to the plan. However I'd suggest buying a turbo. It's a good alternative when the weather is terrible

• Advertisement

Had a reasonable weekend on the bike despite the weather.

Yesterday about 80k and 3h20m. Had company from Emty andGodihatethehills. Living where I do I rarely get out with boardsies any longer so it was great to have company.
    Nice flat route thru Kildare at a slowish pace.

Today I completed a sort 45k loop in 2h 15m. Slow train of one to Saggart. There was a horrible headwind.

With the hill TT and and commute there was 190km this week.
    It was badly needed as I had Christmas parties and lunches last week so I needed an offset. If I avoided putting on weight I would be veryvery happy. Weigh myself Wed so will be interesting as I have lunches tomorrow and Tues plus headin out for dinner with the missus on Tues night.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

If I avoided putting on weight I would be veryvery happy. Weigh myself Wed so will be interesting as I have lunches tomorrow and Tues plus headin out for dinner with the missus on Tues night.

Top tip for weight management - weigh yourself at the same time everyday and calculate a moving average, weighted towards your most recent reading. This will generate a trend weight that'll help eliminate fluctuations in daily weight due to natural and self-induced (through over-indulgence) levels in weight. Ignore your actual weight reading, if the trend weight is down, your laughing. See this site for info/tools/formulas - forumlas are in the pdf book.

Good luck with the training...

MadHatter wrote: »
    Top tip for weight management - weigh yourself at the same time everyday and calculate a moving average, weighted towards your most recent reading. This will generate a trend weight that'll help eliminate fluctuations in daily weight due to natural and self-induced (through over-indulgence) levels in weight. Ignore your actual weight reading, if the trend weight is down, your laughing. See this site for info/tools/formulas - forumlas are in the pdf book.

Good luck with the training...

Cheers. I am a bit paranoid about the misuse of statistics and signals vs noise. On that basis I tend to weigh myself at 8am every friday morning. In my line of work the trend is far more important than the actual level, so your point makes a lot of sense where I am coming from. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

When I was losing weight I weighed daily first thing in the morning but plotted it all in a spreadsheet and only paid any attention to the weekly moving average. There was some variation but the moving average went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In my line of work the trend is far more important than the actual level, so your point makes a lot of sense where I am coming from.

Can I buy ROK ON dieting futures? There has to be an economic model for weight loss. Collateralized Diet Obligations?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    Can I buy ROK ON dieting futures? There has to be an economic model for weight loss. Collateralized Diet Obligations?
    Of course you can - you just need someone to bet against you. Now let me think - ROK ON may be that very person:)

Planned a 95km loop with 1450m climbing.
    Got 16.25km and slipped on black ice twice.
    Fell badly third time. Elbow and hip sore. Rear deraileur fubar after a spectacular skid on road.

Now waiting by roadside for a lift home.
    Training cancelled for another week.
    Disastrous holidays from bike point of view.
    Shudda turnedback after thirst skid.
    Strange thing is it looks like a great day.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Planned a 95km loop with 1450m climbing.
    Got 16.25km and slipped on black ice twice.
    Fell badly third time. Elbow and hip sore. Rear deraileur fubar after a spectacular skid on road.

Now waiting by roadside for a lift home.
    Training cancelled for another week.
    Disastrous holidays from bike point of view.
    Shudda turnedback after thirst skid.
    Strange thing is it looks like a great day.
    Hope everything's OK ROK ON, and you get back safely. Weather looked great yesterday and today, but there seems to still be plenty of ice in shaded areas

Made it home thanks Beasty. Collected bu the mother in law (the shame).
    I was stupid, I should have turned back after first skid but continued on. I didnt even make it to the hills. Leg stiff, so will put on hiking boots and head for a walk to stretch out.

Sun shining high in sky here and actually reasonably warm,but plenty of ice in patches. Postponing this weeks training. I would rather get to an event underprepared and struggle than not get there due to injuries.

Still I have 4 months to go before I head to the Pyrenees for the 1st time.

Be careful out there folks - 700*23 tyres are not really meant for icy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

In a way I'm glad I've been told to stay off the bike.

Was out walking the dog in Marley park yesterday and after at least 3 days of most of the ice and frost thawing out,I nearly went on my ear on sheet ice on a path that's in the shade for most of the day. I'm sure there's similar places on back roads still iced over.

Hope the only damage is to the pride ROK ON.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Be careful out there folks - 700*23 tyres are not really meant for icy roads.

700*23 are ok, not ideal. Had a few scares yesterday but its good incentive to work on a nice smooth cadence.

mloc123 wrote: »
    700*23 are ok, not ideal. Had a few scares yesterday but its good incentive to work on a nice smooth cadence.
    I don't think it's worth the risk at the moment. There is a particularly high amount of sheet ice about at the moment, I think caused by a pattern of it being warm enough to rain, and then the water on the ground freezing solid as it gets colder. Last year it was just cold, the precipitation fell as snow to start with so you didn't have this liquid freezing on the ground phenomenon. Snow is actually OK to cycle on comparatively.

I came off on 700x35c tyres on Christmas Day; you would not have stayed upright there on anything. Out in Ballinastoe today we were slipping off on big mountain bike tyres- not going so fast obviously.

Why risk an injury that could have you off the bike for months... I will be sticking to turbo and MTB.

Managed to get out for 2.5hours today. Kenmare to Glengariff via Caha Pass tunnels. If weather stays the same, plan on doing similar tomorrow.

Up by the pass (only 300m or so) the wind was ridiculous, and took a lot of effort to simply stay upright. Still was great to be out, minding kids is bedlam, (while I love my kids, that is not to say that I always like them!!!).

Anyway, I now weigh 92.5kg versus 94km at start of December. So happy with that at least. However, I am heading out with the missus for taps tonite (yum), and heading for dinner with friends in 2 nights time.

I would be very pleased to be 92.5km by the end of the first week in January. Plan a month of abstinence in January, followed by more of the same for Ferbruary. I got a lovely Christmas present of a 5 day trip to the Pyrenees in early May. Aim is to be closer to 80kg by then.

Garmin data.
    http://ridewithgps.com/users/4019/activities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I got a lovely Christmas present of a 5 day trip to the Pyrenees in early May...
    Nice pressie. What part are you heading to? By the way anybody who drops weight in December deserves a trophy. Well done ROK ON

@ Sy:
    Am heading to foothills of the Tourmalet. Now many of the peaks will be closed from certain levels, but the plan is to get up as far of Tourmalet, Solour, Aspin, Hautacam, Luz Ardiden as the weather will allow.
    4 days plenty of climbing.

@ Sy:
    Am heading to foothills of the Tourmalet. Now many of the peaks will be closed from certain levels, but the plan is to get up as far of Tourmalet, Solour, Aspin, Hautacam, Luz Ardiden as the weather will allow.
    4 days plenty of climbing.
    You can get up as far as the ski stations on most of them which are plenty high; the roads are kept clear as far as the ski stations.

Very frustrating few days in that it is about a week since I have been ob the bike. I simply will not cycle in this weather.
    I tried a cycle on Friday but turned back at Molls Gap when it dawned on me that cruising at 15km searching the road ahead is not only not training it is not an enjoyable leisure cycle either.

To compensate I have taken to walking. donned my hiking boots at the weekend and spent some time tramping around.
    Also I have walked t and from work for past few days (20km) round trip. I reckon that I have walked about 85km in past 4 days.

However I now have a very unusual heavy feeling at the back of both calves. Not sore just heavy and unpleasant.
    I quite like walking actually and could see myself getting into hill walking/mountaineering.

Only good news is that despite lack of time training on the bike that I have maintained my weight at 92,5km.

Cannot weight for the thaw, but if it doesn't I reckon I will walk the Tourmalet in Sep rather than cycle it : - )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cannot weight for the thaw, but if it doesn't I reckon I will walk the Tourmalet in Sep rather than cycle it : - )

I hiked for a week around there a few years ago. Tis only gorgeous!

Raam. What do I do with your book. Great read btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Raam. What do I do with your book. Great read btw.

I am gonna lend it to my brother so will get it from you next time you are in Dublin.

Advertisement