Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobile Games in Ireland

Options
  • 21-09-2020 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am trying to understand mobile gaming in Ireland and if there are online/offline communities, channels, events, meet-ups, etc., that are dedicated to mobile gaming that I don't yet know about?

The sense that I am getting is there is more of an emphasis on console gaming rather than mobile in Ireland and that mobile gaming hasn't taken off 100% yet in Ireland, but just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any online/offline communities, channels, events, meet-ups in Ireland that currently exist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ZeldasElder

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I think most people would see mobile gaming as a secondary way to play games. Console or PC would be most people's preferred platforms but when these aren't accessible, the mobile comes out. I generally play single player mobile games in short bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, for me mobile gaming are those idle type games and quick bust games while I'm having a smoke. If I wanted to game on the go properly, I'd get a Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dave Morrison

Revenue in 2019 totaled over USD 44 million. It is expected that this figure will grow by 5.2% annually before reaching USD 58 million in 2022.

In 2017, the ratio of mobile users to citizens amounted to 27.2% , and this should reach 27.4% by 2022.

Average revenue per user (ARPU) was USD 35.30.

Average cost per install (CPI) for iOS was USD 1.75, and for Android was USD 1.56.

Crazy to think that the biggest mobile games bring in more money than even the biggest "conventional" games like GTA V

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_mobile_games#List

The top 5 have franchise lifetime revenues greater than $5 billion each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The whole mobile gaming market is shady AF & I'd rather not have anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You get some good games (Monument Valley, SquareEnix GO series, Jetpack Joyride) that are mobile exclusive or mobile first, but other than that my perception is the markets are full of F2P micro-transaction nightmares.

I don't think mobile apps in general are as popular or as revolutionary as they were, or maybe I'm not hearing about them as much.

I do think that some formats work well on mobile such as online multiplayer adaptations of skill games and skill/luck games

examples would be Liar's Dice (not sure what is going on with current rating- great game of deception and probability starting with 5 players) and Ruzzle (quick fire 2 minute word game against others). Being able to get a quick match-up is great

certainly true that those "games" that rake in the billions where they employ psychologists to advise on how to create "virtual crack" sensations in the human brain to encourage buying the transaction items are nefarious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

For a brief moment in time mobile games could have been genuine games but instead someone discovered micro transactions and now the entire industry is just churned out manipulative shyte.

Advertisement