Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to bring old fire extinguisher's and old gas bottles?

• 18-09-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi does anyone know where I can bring old fire extinguisher's. I also have an old gas tank and some unwanted paint cans. Tyia...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My local hardware sells the gas. They took my old bottle, but you don't get a deposit back or anything. I didn't care I inherited the bottle. I have no idea how old it was. One of the full height bottles. We used it for roofing many year ago. Ring the local supplier they might know who sells them and who might take them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rosso112

Any idea about the fire extinguisher's and paint cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Rosso112 wrote: »
    Any idea about the fire extinguisher's and paint cans?

Local council recycling centres will take the paint cans.

• Moderators Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Spocker

beauf wrote: »
    My local hardware sells the gas. They took my old bottle, but you don't get a deposit back or anything. I didn't care I inherited the bottle. I have no idea how old it was. One of the full height bottles. We used it for roofing many year ago. Ring the local supplier they might know who sells them and who might take them back.

I know its too late for you, but Calor can give refunds on empty returned cylinders: https://cdn.calorgas.ie/-/media/sites/ireland/help/cylinder-forms/cylinder-refund-form.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Spocker wrote: »
    I know its too late for you, but Calor can give refunds on empty returned cylinders: https://cdn.calorgas.ie/-/media/sites/ireland/help/cylinder-forms/cylinder-refund-form.pdf
    attach/enclose photo of the
    receipt for the cylinder service charge

If you don't have any paperwork from when you rented the cylinder originally I don't think you'll get any money back. Otherwise I'd make a fortune out of them. I collect old gas bottles and hand them out to anyone locally that needs an empty to take back to save them having to pay for a new cylinder rental.

Never heard of it here but I seem to remember in the UK you can get something like a tenner for returning an old bottle with no paperwork.

Also check around re the fire extinguishers as people want old ones for some weird stuff I think I have heard that some can be cut down and used as crucibles for heating stuff up in for casting.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rosso112

Thank you all for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

homebrewers like fire extinguishers aswell (co2 ones) - put a post up on nationalhomebrewclub.ie or adverts and id say they will go easily enough. Not sure where you are - but there's a place in bray refills them. AJ Edge i think it was called - im sure they would take them off you (or similar type of place near you)

Advertisement