Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice for recording from vinyl

• 12-09-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Basically, i'm a what you could call a 'bedroom dj', I've been playing the decks on and off for over 20 years. I've never played gigs but have played a few house parties with mates over the years.

My set up is 1210's and a gemini mixer, i've never used CDjs or anything else..
    i find all the technology a bit daunting to be honest (i can't believe i just wrote that sentence it makes me realise I'm ageing).

These days i tend to play the decks for an hour or two with a few beers every couple of months. I'm capable of pulling off some really tasty mixes and I'd love to get into the habit of recording my sets so i can listen to them after or share with friends.. think it might inspire me to play a bit more often and buy some new tunes.

What is the best method to record my sets, is there a mixer can make this a simple task.. or what do i need? clearly i haven't a clue..

I'm somewhat in the market for a new mixer, in addition to a function that will record my sets (if this exists) i'd like some thing with a sample and a few other fancy features... based on my story..what can you recommend.. ?

thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

What is the exact model of your mixer? Usually there's a tape out or similar for recording direct from the mixer. You might need an RCA to 3.5mm lead and you can record to your laptop using Audacity

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

mordeith wrote: »
    What is the exact model of your mixer? Usually there's a tape out or similar for recording direct from the mixer. You might need an RCA to 3.5mm lead and you can record to your laptop using Audacity

What he said ^, 3.5mm into Laptop and Audacity, you can then export in pretty much whatever quality and format you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you will of course know to insure your record is as clean as possible before recording but no harm in stating it anyway.
    do you plan to engage in any bit of restoration of the recording afterwords?
    if so, don't just throw it through a plugin, find and remove any problem crackles and pops manually insuring you don't remove anything else when cutting them out. it takes a bit of time but it is worth it, and the reason i give this advice is because in my experience plugins aren't great at removing pops without either leaving a little bit behind or degrading the audio, even with the most optimal setting, but others may have different experiences and maybe i'm out of date now and things have got better with newer software.
    if you are just going to record and save then the step above doesn't apply.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

you will of course know to insure your record is as clean as possible before recording but no harm in stating it anyway.
    do you plan to engage in any bit of restoration of the recording afterwords?
    if so, don't just throw it through a plugin, find and remove any problem crackles and pops manually insuring you don't remove anything else when cutting them out. it takes a bit of time but it is worth it, and the reason i give this advice is because in my experience plugins aren't great at removing pops without either leaving a little bit behind or degrading the audio, even with the most optimal setting, but others may have different experiences and maybe i'm out of date now and things have got better with newer software.
    if you are just going to record and save then the step above doesn't apply.

Should be noted that Audacity is very good a clean up work once you become used to how to use it manually.

Magix have also been creating very good cleaning software for years, i have used their software loads of time,

https://www.magix.com/ie/music/sound-forge/sound-forge-audio-cleaning-lab/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

thanks for all the replies..
    see pic of current mixer. it has REC at back.. didnt spot it at first because I've got a lead going from REC to the sound system and it only works that way (dont ask).

I need to get the leads to plug it into laptop.
    Can I record sets to smart phone instead of laptop?

I'm thinking of updating my current mixer. this one looks quite similar to what I've got

https://www.gear4music.ie/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-DX626-Pro-DJ-Mixer/2GF

was looking at this too

https://www.gear4music.ie/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Allen-and-Heath-Xone23-DJ-Mixer/XA0

does anyone recommend any type of mixer to buy considering my set up.. ?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

There should be 3 outputs on the back of your mixer. Master should be connected to your amplifier/stereo. You can use Rec to connect to your laptop. You will need this lead.

526875.jpg

Advertisement