Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It's the weather that is the problem here. It's so frickin depressing.

I usually don’t mind it. You can get out most days. April and May have been consistently lovely in recent years although I agree July and August can often be disappointing. I think Mediterranean temperatures in July would be too much for my family. I really don’t like it much above 25.

We should be in France today. Just checked the campsite - 15 degrees. Brrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Supposed to be in the Algarve for two weeks right now :-(
    Flights were cancelled, so I can get the refund

Looked at west of Ireland house rental but the kids decided they didn't want to come (They are old enough to stay home)

So, booked 7 nights in 7 different hotels

Letterkenny
    Westport
    Clifden
    Galway City
    Doolin
    Dingle
    Kinsale

I don't care if the weather is not good - lots of sightseeing and beach walks.
    Hopefully the pubs/restaurants will be okay in late August...

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Same here. Looking forward to checking out local butchers and fishmongers around Carlingford and doing some different dishes. Lamb and oyster territory.
    Savages butchers in Carlingford town are really great.
    Lamb and beef are absolutely top drawer and their olive fed pork is the nicest pork I have ever tasted. A real old fashioned but great butchers.
    Morgans seafood in Omeath ( well actually a couple of miles outside of Omeath driving into the mountains) is a wholesalers which has a shop open to the public.
    They normally have a great selection of fish there at very reasonable prices and if you are there for a while, they may even be able to source something they don't normally have, on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

BraveDonut wrote: »

Looked at west of Ireland house rental but the kids decided they didn't want to come (They are old enough to stay home)

Letterkenny
    Westport
    Clifden
    Galway City
    Doolin
    Dingle
    Kinsale

In a row? That's madness it's a lot of territory to cover it'll feel rushed..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pcasso wrote: »
    Savages butchers in Carlingford town are really great.
    Lamb and beef are absolutely top drawer and their olive fed pork is the nicest pork I have ever tasted. A real old fashioned but great butchers.
    Morgans seafood in Omeath ( well actually a couple of miles outside of Omeath driving into the mountains) is a wholesalers which has a shop open to the public.
    They normally have a great selection of fish there at very reasonable prices and if you are there for a while, they may even be able to source something they don't normally have, on request.

Snap, they're the two places on my goto list :)
    Didn't realise that about the pork in Savages, must check that out, the range and quality of their lamb is fantastic.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Got a good price for short stay in a hotel early July in Ireland, will give it a whirl, pool, playground etc. to be open so will see what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

BraveDonut wrote: »

Letterkenny
    Westport
    Clifden
    Galway City
    Doolin
    Dingle
    Kinsale

That's some Wild Atlantic Way tour you have planned. 10 years ago we did something similar over 2 weeks or so. A great holiday it was but changing accommodation most nights was fun at the start but tiresome towards the end. Would do it again but would be inclined to stay 2-3 nights in various places and explore the locality more or just chill out for a day in a particular location.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Agree completely.
    Chances of crap weather during your hard earned summer holiday in Ireland - Extremely high. Remember going on one where we just packed up and went home. Lashing rain and the forecast said another week of the same, so we just went home.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Agree completely.
    Chances of crap weather during your hard earned summer holiday in Ireland - Extremely high. Remember going on one where we just packed up and went home. Lashing rain and the forecast said another week of the same, so we just went home.

This is why we've decided to stay home in Dublin and do day trips. If the weather is **** at least the kids have the space here instead of being confined to either a hotel or small house (as do the adults!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

In a row? That's madness it's a lot of territory to cover it'll feel rushed..

No, I’ve done that before. It’s quite invigorating. Waking up somewhere new every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Donegal self catering for two weeks in July
    only booked it when the easing of lockdown was announced last week

Same, self catering is probably easiest and will be more relaxing IMO
    JimmyVik wrote: »
    My sister works for a hotel.
    She told me they are taking a lot of bookings for August.

Was actually surprised to see so much availability in July. Just ensured it had a decent cancellation policy. Logic is that numbers are nice and low right now, so will get away and enjoy a few days. If they go back up and restrictions are tightened it might have to be cancelled. If the numbers plummet or it disappears altogether, can hopefully get abroad in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

As an Italian once said to me about Ireland...
    No such thing as inappropriate weather, just inappropriate clothing

You just plan for the weather to be poor and every good day is a bonus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

As an Italian once said to me about Ireland...
    No such thing as inappropriate weather, just inappropriate clothing

You just plan for the weather to be poor and every good day is a bonus

Or just jump on a plane out of Ireland to a place where no planning is required

CBear1993 wrote: »

What a ridiculous comment.
    What will you do when you land in Tehran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Your not a big fan of Ireland are ya? ;-)

For me it will be Killary Fjord for some kayaking for a couple of days around late August. Theres a BnB close by in Lenane with a reading room that has amazing views of the mountains and lakes. You can sit back in there in the evening with a glass of wine and watch the sun go down.

Love it down there, very serene. You can put your hands in the water from the kayak and grab some fresh mussels.

What a ridiculous comment.
    What will you do when you land in Tehran?

Probably have a nice mass on the wireless with the locals and get the closest thing to a cup of tea. Then talk about the parish back home and complain about how hot it is. What else do some Irish people do abroad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Air b&b booked in dingle mid july was a little pricey but both of us just want a change of scene after working from home all this time. To reduce cost of staycantions maybe dont try to stay in main spots ie your dingles killarney stay in lesser known towns or county galway instead of city.
    Actual try towns in east cork...often forgotten when compared to west cork.loads to offer.
    Irish mini breaks on FB has some good deals for 3 and 5 nights. As someone said earlier check out the likes of pigsback.com groupon and supervalu breaks for deals too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Don't be scared to stray of the usual holiday routes in Ireland, some of the most beautiful and astonishing places are off the beaten track. Most beautiful country in the world, even with our weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

100% mainlander.. midlands springs to mind often joked about but if you go and do a bit of research loads to do. Even for day trips

Don't be scared to stray of the usual holiday routes in Ireland, some of the most beautiful and astonishing places are off the beaten track. Most beautiful country in the world, even with our weather.

Looking out over sheephaven bay this morn, some picture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Looking out over sheephaven bay this morn, some picture!

Know it well. I can imagine it. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Air b&b booked in dingle mid july was a little pricey but both of us just want a change of scene after working from home all this time. To reduce cost of staycantions maybe dont try to stay in main spots ie your dingles killarney stay in lesser known towns or county galway instead of city.
    Actual try towns in east cork...often forgotten when compared to west cork.loads to offer.
    Irish mini breaks on FB has some good deals for 3 and 5 nights. As someone said earlier check out the likes of pigsback.com groupon and supervalu breaks for deals too

East Cork a good spot for family holidays nice beaches Fota Wildlife park, league farm, golf courses etc a lot of attractions within an hour or less.

Derrynane Beach is fabulous, straight out of the tropics on a sunny day, one of Irelands only beach bars at O'Carrols cover is a few k up the road with another nice little beach. Definitely worth a visit if your going through Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

on a sunny day

That's your problem right there

dubrov wrote: »
    That's your problem right there

I got food poisoning in Portugal last year and ended up in a&e. Feckin wind never stopped blowing either.
    Staying for 2 weeks in Clare the start of August, not overly concerned about the weather at least it won't be windy and the sea food is safe to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭combat14

staycation could be great this year.. just concerned that all the restaurants, pubs, hotels, cinemas, hairdressers etc.. are putting up their prices already .. doesn't bode well....

100% mainlander.. midlands springs to mind often joked about but if you go and do a bit of research loads to do. Even for day trips

Just on that, visiting lakes in midlands is very pleasant
    Lough Owel, Ennell, Deravarragh, Lene and Ree in Westmeath alone.
    All have fishing, swimming, kayaking, cycling and viewpoints/picnic areas.
    The royal canal is also lovely in stretches. Both for cycling, walking eveb kayaking. There are also few nice picnic spots

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Had a plan to go camping in Donegal with 2 others.
    Apprehensive about the deluge of people who will surely invade just about every spot when the 29th comes around and the noise, crowds and mess that goes with that. Might leave it until at least the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

combat14 wrote: »
    staycation could be great this year.. just concerned that all the restaurants, pubs, hotels, cinemas, hairdressers etc.. are putting up their prices already .. doesn't bode well....

There was something in one of the papers today about prices may rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Had a plan to go camping in Donegal with 2 others.
    Apprehensive about the deluge of people who will surely invade just about every spot when the 29th comes around and the noise, crowds and mess that goes with that. Might leave it until at least the following week.

You probably would want to avoid the weekend of the 12th July also, will be very busy with cross border visitors.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement