Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    First - links to show proof of accusations thrown re. 'personal desires' and female and child hating in the previous post you castigated.

Strange that does not seem to be forthcoming - yet the broadsides at those who you do not agree with continue no?

And yet greta et al industry links pushing climste alarmism for their own purposes are evident. But yet little if any of that gets any recognition from ardent greta supporters. We are told there should be no criticism or discussion. Otherwise you are a 'hater' or a 'denier'

Strange those discrepancies...

As you are aware, it is not unusual for posts which are such that banning from a thread is warranted, are generally removed. Beyond that, posts which do not result in bans are often routinely removed.
    Those points aside, I as everyone else who uses boards from opinions of other users from more than just a single thread. I have no problem in stating that some of the views displayed throughout this thread are unexpected and, I feel, in line with a particular mindset which leads to consistent and expected posts on other topics which are routinely discussed these days.

Am I going to go through this 6 month thread and others to collate evidence for you on this? No. You would ignore it anyway. I'm not here to change your mind on anything.

(Sorry, I didn't wait the necessary 10 minutes to allow you to edit the content of your post. I don't feel the need to respond to it for a second time)

• you should probably stop making these accusations- framed as factual statements, often offered as rejoinders to substantiated statements against your position or the positions demonstrably taken by greta (who is not party to this thread, cannot be ad-hommed by this thread and as far as we know has not requested that you act as if each criticism of her in this thread is one you have justification to respond to as if you have been insulted)- then

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I am gender fluid leaning towards non-binary. I am so ashamed I look like a white/pink western European man that I have spent a small fortune on subbed sessions and spray tans.

I'm going to take this as legit although to be honest, I have no idea at this stage.

Because you are ashamed by your gender and skin colour you feel it necessary to take actions to deny that truth. Because you inexplicably hate what you are, you have bought in completely to a campaign that depends entirely on fostering a sense of guilt and responsibility for things you have zero control over.

It's a lot clearer now, but I'd suggest you focus your efforts on coming to terms with your own feelings than being manipulated by a "cause" furthered by people with suspect agendas of their own.

If a young girl like Greta really feels fear every day because of this scaremongering, that to me is a far bigger and more real problem than any of the stuff being peddled in this "crusade"

you should probably stop making these accusations- framed as factual statements, often offered as rejoinders to substantiated statements against your position or the positions demonstrably taken by greta (who is not party to this thread, cannot be ad-hommed by this thread and as far as we know has not requested that you act as if each criticism of her in this thread is one you have justification to respond to as if you have been insulted)- then

You've just spat out words there. I know you're trying to appear smart, but the sentence doesn't make any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As you are aware, it is not unusual for posts which are such that banning from a thread is warranted, are generally removed. Beyond that, posts which do not result in bans are often routinely removed.
    Those points aside, I as everyone else who uses boards from opinions of other users from more than just a single thread. I have no problem in stating that some of the views displayed throughout this thread are unexpected and, I feel, in line with a particular mindset which leads to consistent and expected posts on other topics which are routinely discussed these days.
    Am I going to go through this 6 month thread and others to collate evidence for you on this? No. You would ignore it anyway. I'm not here to change your mind on anything.

I am aware that the poster you inferred (incorrectly imo) - as being a female/ child hater has just 5 posts!. But no I've absolutely no idea what you are on about regarding rabbitting on about 'banning' or forming "opinions of other users". Throwing such ****e makes no sense whatsoever.

And I'm also aware - and please correct me If I'm wrong - the general advice to all of us is to play the ball and not kick the player. We can all engage with that. Otherwise theres no discussion.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'm going to take this as legit although to be honest, I have no idea at this stage.

Because you are ashamed by your gender and skin colour you feel it necessary to take actions to deny that truth. Because you inexplicably hate what you are, you have bought in completely to a campaign that depends entirely on fostering a sense of guilt and responsibility for things you have zero control over.

It's a lot clearer now, but I'd suggest you focus your efforts on coming to terms with your own feelings than being manipulated by a "cause" furthered by people with suspect agendas of their own.

If a young girl like Greta really feels fear every day because of this scaremongering, that to me is a far bigger and more real problem than any of the stuff being peddled in this "crusade"

Bit in bold says it all really.

gozunda wrote: »
    I am aware that the poster you inferred (incorrectly imo) - as being a female/ child hater has just 5 posts!. But no I've absolutely no idea what you are on about regarding forming "opinions of other users". Throwing such ****e makes no sense whatsoever.

And I'm also aware - and please correct me If I'm wrong - the general advice to all of us is to play the ball and not kick the player. We can all engage with that. Otherwise theres no discussion.

Gozunda, I know you don't like being challenged on your opinion/position posted here.

You frequently thank posts which refer to me or other posters in ways you agree with but the reverse of that leads you to calling foul.

I see this thread as reflective of society and mindsets which exist in the real world, in such cases it is common to refer to the MO of people with a particular mindset without, generally, it being seen as an insult.

Every other forum/thread is governed with a similar instruction and, as you know, on those, posters on all sides are referred to as to their personal behaviour on the thread.

This is a real world discussion. I am of the view that your view needs to be challenged as I see it as regressive. I'm not going to apologise for this or stop it just because you don't like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,936 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Tell me how and Miller Teeny Ignoramus, give the digs at each other a rest and let's get back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

KyussB wrote: »
    Rebel News, founded by an oil industry lobbyist, with a history of racism and broadcasting false information...

Yet not a single person who is on the side of the debate, whose arguments benefit from this propaganda source, will give a toss - in fact will give more of a toss about arguing-against/dismissing the pointing out of obvious propaganda sources...

Greta is a girl, said to have a known personality problem and evidently much of what is said in her name is written by her father and a second individual within the environmental gig. She is being used as a political tool and that shows how sick the left, the green movement has become.

This propaganda is rammed down our childrens throats at school evidently along with the fear of God over their futures. They are now the unwitting footsoldiers of the green movement. Greta is a girl used as an emotional tool. She is an emotional wreck as seen in her face of fury not understanding she only knows propaganda and little about the scientific method she calls upon which does not support her claims of impending doom.

It is time to call this out before we end up with a totalitarian dictatorship as is being directly called for by members of the green movement.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Greta is a girl, said to have a known personality problem and evidently much of what is said in her name is written by her father and a second individual within the environmental gig. She is being used as a political tool and that shows how sick the left, the green movement has become.

This propaganda is rammed down our childrens throats at school evidently along with the fear of God over their futures. They are now the unwitting footsoldiers of the green movement. Greta is a girl used as an emotional tool. She is an emotional wreck as seen in her face of fury not understanding she only knows propaganda and little about the scientific method she calls upon which does not support her claims of impending doom.

It is time to call this out before we end up with a totalitarian dictatorship as is being directly called for by members of the green movement.
    They are Fascists and Communists rolled into one. The only way to deal with them is to take the pee out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Sorry but the Climate Emergency and the greater good is more important than your individual rights. Greta is helping to get that message across to her peers via social media and clued in teachers who have the power to encourage their students to do the right thing by telling them the truth about Climate Chaos. Let's face it, what student doesn't want a day on the doss anyway, the fact that they are demanding Climate Action and Climate Justice means their time is not wasted being typical teenagers like generations before them. That's what the fear and terror of knowing the truth of how close we are to the tipping point of no return can do, it spurs the youth on to demand that governments take Climate Action Now by radically reengineering society into accepting that sacrifices will need to be made to Save the Planet.

Gozunda, I know you don't like being challenged on your opinion/position posted here.
    You frequently thank posts which refer to me or other posters in ways you agree with but the reverse of that leads you to calling foul.I see this thread as reflective of society and mindsets which exist in the real world, in such cases it is common to refer to the MO of people with a particular mindset without, generally, it being seen as an insult.Every other forum/thread is governed with a similar instruction and, as you know, on those, posters on all sides are referred to as to their personal behaviour on the thread. This is a real world discussion. I am of the view that your view needs to be challenged as I see it as regressive. I'm not going to apologise for this or stop it just because you don't like it.

Lol. I'm sure you do. Challenge away! But you've got the wrong poster I'm afraid. I think this might what you referring to post from which you later inferred that posters opinions were driven by 'personal desires' - oh and disliking women and children no less. Following that there was a request simply to link to the relevant comments on that. I dont think you did? Anyway no matter - afaik this is a thread about greta not other posters imaginary MO's or 'mindsets' or whatever. So I'll leave you at it.

In the news today it would appear that 'gretas generation'(?) is now being used to flog eco-friendly toys

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51221865

You can also buy lots of different greta themed tee shirts. I do hope they are all 'eco-friendly' as well? :rolleyes:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=greta+tee+shirt&prmd=isnv&sxsrf=ACYBGNTJ05LQJvdUg9NmO_6LE1Ws1XMkNg:1580114829414&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil7_G4sqPnAhXsQRUIHVFVBN8Q_AUoAXoECBAQAQ&biw=360&bih=572

We are coming to your door soon guys to make you even more aware of the Climate Emergency and the need for Climate Action and Climate Justice. Members of XR are canvassing in order to appeal to people's consciences, a gentle nudge to vote for those who take Climate Chaos seriously. We are strictly non partisan and the fact that we will be only canvassing in constituencies with Green party candidates is pure coincidence. That said I would urge all right thinking people to vote Green if they would like to save themselves from a horrific and painful death on a burning planet. The tipping point is so close guys, we have to act now to ensure green minded people get their collective voice heard. We need to get our hands on power guys if we are going to change behaviours to save the planet.

https://www.thejournal.ie/extinction-rebellion-canvass-general-election-4980697-Jan2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: The last Greta thread was over 10k posts (including deleted posts) so I've set up a new thread. The last few pages of posts from the previous thread have been moved here for continuity)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I think we have reached a Brexit level of boredom with Greta Thunberg, people are just tuning out at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Rebel News, founded by an oil industry lobbyist, with a history of racism and broadcasting false information...

Yet not a single person who is on the side of the debate, whose arguments benefit from this propaganda source, will give a toss - in fact will give more of a toss about arguing-against/dismissing the pointing out of obvious propaganda sources...

Notice what this post is in reply to: When it's pointed out that a poster coming from one side of the debate, has used an extremely obvious propaganda source to back their views - do they acknowledge it or disassociate from that source?

No. They double down on it insted, and try to justify it with wild conspiracy theories accusing the 'other side' of using propaganda sources - which is an implicit admission that they know the source they used was propaganda.

Not only that, but they are widely thanked by nearly all of the regular posters coming from the same 'side' of the debate - showing that they all are fairly happy with using easily proven propaganda sources, as a base for their arguments.

To further drive the point home, the final link the poster uses, is from Spiked Online - one of the more notorious propaganda outlets, funded by the Koch oil oligarchs - who have a fair shot at being the most notorious propagandists on the planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

We are coming to your door soon guys to make you even more aware of the Climate Emergency and the need for Climate Action and Climate Justice. Members of XR are canvassing in order to appeal to people's consciences, a gentle nudge to vote for those who take Climate Chaos seriously. We are strictly non partisan and the fact that we will be only canvassing in constituencies with Green party candidates is pure coincidence. That said I would urge all right thinking people to vote Green if they would like to save themselves from a horrific and painful death on a burning planet. The tipping point is so close guys, we have to act now to ensure green minded people get their collective voice heard. We need to get our hands on power guys if we are going to change behaviours to save the planet.

https://www.thejournal.ie/extinction-rebellion-canvass-general-election-4980697-Jan2020/

They even look like a pair of Jesus freaks going door to door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

The “climate canvassers” went door-to-door, highlighting to the public “the urgency of the climate crisis and the need to make climate action a key election issue”, a statement said.

I'd love to hear these loons spiels.

"You've got Original Sin a carbon footprint, which offends God Mother Earth and hinders you as a person. When the Rapture civilizational collapse in twelve years, happens what will you think looking back on your life of evil? Luckily for you, there is a path to redemption. Confession carbon offsetting is quick and easy way to clear your history and make you a better person. Also we are all commanded to spread the goodword, so make sure to tell your neighbours and friends and bask in the loving glow of superiority that only adherence to the teachings of Greta can bring.

What is her known personality problem?

Do you think there is an issue with the climate which needs to be actioned? Why do you think Greta (and the scientists who contributed to the IPCC) are warning that it is imperative that action is taken?

What are you afraid of?

Notice what this post is in reply to: When it's pointed out that a poster coming from one side of the debate, has used an extremely obvious propaganda source to back their views - do they acknowledge it or disassociate from that source? No. They double down on it insted, and try to justify it with wild conspiracy theories accusing the 'other side' of using propaganda sources - which is an implicit admission that they know the source they used was propaganda.Not only that, but they are widely thanked by nearly all of the regular posters coming from the same 'side' of the debate - showing that they all are fairly happy with using easily proven propaganda sources, as a base for their arguments.To further drive the point home, the final link the poster uses, is from Spiked Online - one of the more notorious propaganda outlets, funded by the Koch oil oligarchs - who have a fair shot at being the most notorious propagandists on the planet.

For the love of dodge - would you give over the same repetitive wrangling type comments. You've said previously you dont like this posters sources. You've also said previously you dont like people thanking the poster for explaining his thoughts etc. But at least the poster provides sources and explains his reasoning. And where someone / anyone does so - they frequently get a thumbs up for that no matter what the argument. And that's fair enough. You may not like it but that's irrelevant.

Tbh most of your comment boils down to a poor argument based on - "attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself" ie ad hominem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Precisely as I said in a previous post:

sabat wrote: »
    They even look like a pair of Jesus freaks going door to door.

I am an atheist. I believe in scientific consensus and experts with PhDs. I cried and had a panic attack when I saw Mary Robinson standing beside the doomsday clock. You Koch lovers are smothering mother earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

perhaps if the movement was more honest about its goals....its clearly not just about climate change. its about a complete and fundimental change to the world economy, society and ultimately toppling capitalism. because these are the kind of changes needed to stop or reverse man made climate change as they see it.

I am an atheist. I believe in scientific consensus and experts with PhDs. I cried and had a panic attack when I saw Mary Robinson standing beside the doomsday clock. You Koch lovers are smothering mother earth.

You should get help. Mary Robinson is old and frail, not to be scared of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Jaylee Jealous Rugby

Don’t know how that child functions with that level of anxiety in her life Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Look this is serious. It reminds of that bit from Harry Potter and the Enchanted Wrong-Knob. You know, where Hermione discovered in her homework for Prof. Shictzkok's Fringering class, that the magical ether is slowly disappating from Britain and within two generations no wizard will even be able to wrabble to BentBlo alley let alone conjure a fractious frampton. And yet she's laughed out of the Ministry of Magic who are secretly controlled Voldemort and his army of deniers.

We need to be like Dumbledore's Army #RESIST

Calling people "guys" is very creepy. I would pedantically observe the initials for the group is ER, not XR

Don’t know how that child functions with that level of anxiety in her life Jesus

What level of anxiety?

Calling people "guys" is very creepy. I would pedantically observe the initials for the group is ER, not XR

It is XR. My niece recently joined the XR Youth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Paddygreen - stop posting shite (and everyone else, stop replying).

Advertisement