Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What’s hashtag cancelled? Has her twitter account been cancelled or what?

I dunno I'm just slagging the phrase cancelled by putting the word hashtag in front of it because it's really only a thing on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If the employer believed the earth was flat would you still be on the employers side

o im not on the employers side. im not fully sure where i draw the line, but im sure its not that far to the left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

What she has said is true. I applaud her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭KildareP

Maybe if we wait just a little bit longer they'll eventually start "cancelling" each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Cancelled is something you have done to your Sky Sports subscription (though why you would do it now, just ahead of a feast of festive football is anyone's guess)

A person cannot be "cancelled", literally or figuratively. That is the language of fascism. Especially not a giant of culture like JK Rowling. Well done to her for using the platform she has to call out the madness around her and around us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Cancelled where, I read an article on this and it said she was cancelled, but didn't say where.
    One man's meat is another's poison, so if one door closes then another probably opens.
    Basically I wonder from this, if I claim to be transgender and being a male, as I am, it then becomes acceptable for me to enter ladies changing rooms and rest rooms and toilets and such¡?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Whenever these issues pop up one of my absolute least favourite things that always happens is you see members of the LGBTQ community aggressively siding against the transgender person, in my opinion in an effort to appease the majority. I think it's a betrayal of our community. Just remember, not so long ago if you were gay you were the one being harassed, beaten and ridiculed. That's moved on from us to transgender people but we should never forget that we know that feeling and that the people experiencing that now shouldn't be abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Whenever these issues pop up one of my absolute least favourite things that always happens is you see members of the LGBTQ community aggressively siding against the transgender person, in my opinion in an effort to appease the majority. I think it's a betrayal of our community. Just remember, not so long ago if you were gay you were the one being harassed, beaten and ridiculed. That's moved on from us to transgender people but we should never forget that we know that feeling and that the people experiencing that now shouldn't be abandoned.

What you seem to be describing is that you're disappointed to see LGBTQ people without a mob mentality. Refusing to accept that someone's sex is fluid (as oppose to their gender identity) is a perfectly rational and non-transphobic position to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

They are not siding against trans people. They are siding against radical and deconstructionist gender theory ideology which is claiming biological sex can be changed. Against being compelled to say against reason that 2 + 2 =5. It is nothing personal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

gender identity =/= biological sex

I'll call you whatever name you want to be called, use your preferred pronoun, etc. I have no issues with trans people. At all.

However, you can't make your XX an XY, it's not possible. That is the issue here. Biology and reality vs twitter morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I raised this kind of question in the LGBT forum, but even as a member of that community, that thread was closed because it was deemed in breach.

I feel your pain. I was carded once for asking someone if they were born a man.

Gynoid wrote: »
    They are not siding against trans people. They are siding against radical and deconstructionist gender theory ideology which is claiming biological sex can be changed. Against being compelled to say against reason that 2 + 2 =5. It is nothing personal at all.

In what way are you not siding against transgender people if you are telling them that they literally don't add up. It's nothing personal? i can't think of anything more personal, you're literally denying somebody the right to be who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In what way are you not siding against transgender people if you are telling them that they literally don't add up. It's nothing personal? i can't think of anything more personal, you're literally denying somebody the right to be who they are.
    They are a woman. They are identified as a woman. They have a certificate that says they are a woman.

Biologically, chromosomally, reproductively, they are a man.
    They do not have a Y chromosome. They do not menstruate, have ovaries, etc.

You can whine all you like but you can't grow ovaries in a biologically male body.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

First I've heard about this - I need to have words with my publicist!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Glad she's cancelled her books are ****e.
    Now, now. She brought the joy of reading really big books to generations of kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Listen aside from that movie that RTE love to fill dead time after GAA matches with, men cannot and have never given birth. Equally a lad minus a lad is not a woman.

I've been to mandatory "inclusivity" training while working for MNCs and yes, yes, we all nod along and smile, but in real life we all know this is bs of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As a committed member of the LGBT community, I find what is happening re: gender/sex to be nothing short of appalling.

You cannot change biological sex. There is no standard for "feeling like a woman". I am a man, and I have no idea what "feeling like a man" is, so how can biologically-born women "feel" this?

Second, you cannot be born into stereotypes. Long hair, make-up, attraction to pink etc., are all social constructions. You cannot be born into a social construction.

Third, biological sex is XX and XY. There are some aberrations, such as Kleinfelters, XXY etc., but these are aberrations. The claim here is that biological men or women can switch chromosomal sex. It is not possible.

Fourth, this is the only trans- category that is taken seriously by society. For example - there are some people who are able-bodied, but believe they were "born disabled". There are some in society now arguing that we should have the State pay for these people to become disabled to meet their "mental image". This is the equivalent of saying to an anorexic person, "you are fine the way you are, it has nothing to do with mental dysphoria".

There are many trans- men/women who are equally as appalled by what is going on, especially regarding the gender identity question.

I, as a member of the LGBT community, get completely sidelined. When people speak to me privately about this issue, they agree with me. But they dare not say it in public.

An extremist identity politics minority have taken over. They are vocal and dangerous and are destroying societal norms as we know them to be.

Try telling that to Shania fcuking Twain!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Listen aside from that movie that RTE love to fill dead time after GAA matches with, men cannot and have never given birth. Equally a lad minus a lad is not a woman.

I've been to mandatory "inclusivity" training while working for MNCs and yes, yes, we all nod along and smile, but in real life we all know this is bs of the highest order.

I could not have said it better myself. In a place " I am in ", I was giving tours to newcomers. I introduced the gender neutral toilets as being the toilets for people who cannot make their mind up and a grin. Wouldnt want to upset the bosses !

People lobbing “Okay TERF” at her sound like utter morons though. You do not have to be a radical feminist to agree with her stance.
    If you're radical you need to keep splitting until you are the one truth. It may feel righteous but can create some issues in dealing with reality.

Try telling that to Shania fcuking Twain!!!!
    OK, that was 20 years ago, let it go, let it go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

They do add up in terms of gender identity and they should do as adults whatever alleviates their discomfort regarding their bodies.
    But...
    They cannot literally change biological sex. No one can. Not them. Not me. Not my cat. It is not offensive to believe in the facts. I am not being offensive to anyone. People taking offense is their own issue but I will not speak biological falsehoods.

Eh...no.

You are saying that they aren't a different biological sex.

You are denying them nothing.

They can be who they want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

GRACKEA wrote: »
    Well she should've been anyway considering a few of her dodge political opinions :^)

She can dress up as Hermann Goering in an SS uniform with a little tutu and recite passages from Mein Kampf in a little slot just after the Angelus, and I will defend to the death her right to speak.

Eh...no.

You are saying that they aren't a different biological sex.

You are denying them nothing.

They can be who they want to be.

So how far does "being who they want to be" extend to? Practically speaking, what, for you, is the cut off in terms of transgender people having the same rights as other men and women?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People can self-identify as whatever they like - but if you're born packing a penis you're a bloke as as as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Someone should ask Sam Smith what they think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

If I went into a doctor's today and stated I identify as an amputee, I wanted to get my leg chopped off I'd be sent for psychiatric help straight away, not encouraged.

If I went to the doctor's and asked for my Willy to be chopped off because I identify as a woman I'd be applauded ?

Be who would want to be, but remember that some peoepl may not be ok with your choice, some women do not want a man pissing in the cucable beside them ? FFS use the disabled jack's if it's that much of an inconvenience too you

Someone should ask Sam Smith what they think about it.
    Mostly it's a good idea not to ask completely self-absorbed celebs what they think about anything!

It must be really crap to be told that you are one biological sex when you really want to be the other. I'd imagine it might feel as bad as being told you have a genetic disease.

Nevertheless, it's something that you will have to come terms with or you'll make yourself miserable. And you're the only one who can change that.

• Advertisement

So how far does "being who they want to be" extend to? Practically speaking, what, for you, is the cut off in terms of transgender people having the same rights as other men and women?

They can be choose to live their life how they want. I draw the line where they demand that people accept their reality in spite of biological fact.

Trangender people have the exact same rights as the people who are the same sex as themselves.

They shouldn't have the same rights as the sex they want to be. Women and men have different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement