Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Cells

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Vicxas wrote: »
    I've hit a bit of a stumbling block on my progression.
    I cant seem to get passed the Clock Tower guardian without having 2 turrets or some sort of freeze grenade.

Anyone have any tips?

Hes actually the only boss i have had zero trouble with, i imagine that gets flipped later though on higher difficulties.
    What i find works well with him is just being aggressive, and yes double turrets works really well with him, just focus on dodging when hes doing his crazy sliding side to side thing, let the turrets do the work there.. Also if he's ever successful at grappling you to him, you're still able to react here, you just cant move, so use the opportunity to smack him in the face a few times or drop a pot if you're low on health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

So I started playing this yesterday. I was thinking starting at the first level after every death was so harsh (never played a rogue like, whatever it's called, before). I couldn't see myself enjoying it. However, you do actually make progress each time so it's not as bad as it seems. Had a great run this morning. Got to The Concierge and almost killed him but a fire blast got me before I got him. I'm enjoying the game more than I expected to.

I'm really enjoying this game. I would definitely consider it challenging but also very fair. More so than Salt and Sanctuary which I thought could be kind of cheap. Beat The Concierge just there. Does he stay dead or do I have to fight him again when I eventually die and have to start over?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm really enjoying this game. I would definitely consider it challenging but also very fair. More so than Salt and Sanctuary which I thought could be kind of cheap. Beat The Concierge just there. Does he stay dead or do I have to fight him again when I eventually die and have to start over?

You'll have to fight him again, but don't worry, after a while he'll only be a bump in the road. Trap make him very easy, the sinew splicers and wolf traps will just wear him down like no one's business.

You'll have to fight him again, but don't worry, after a while he'll only be a bump in the road. Trap make him very easy, the sinew splicers and wolf traps will just wear him down like no one's business.

Got to him again earlier but had no traps so died to him with less than a quarter of his health bar left. Actually did quite well in that fight despite dying, kept pulling off parries which stunned him for a long time. The run where I beat him is the best I've done so far. Got to The Clock Tower. Some very difficult enemies in that level that don't seem to be affected by freeze. I'm not getting frustrated starting from the very beginning again. I had fully expected to be very annoyed playing it. Sign of good game design I suppose. Have to pick up Hollow Knight and The Messenger next.

• Advertisement

Got to him again earlier but had no traps so died to him with less than a quarter of his health bar left. Actually did quite well in that fight despite dying, kept pulling off parries which stunned him for a long time. The run where I beat him is the best I've done so far. Got to The Clock Tower. Some very difficult enemies in that level that don't seem to be affected by freeze. I'm not getting frustrated starting from the very beginning again. I had fully expected to be very annoyed playing it. Sign of good game design I suppose. Have to pick up Hollow Knight and The Messenger next.

How do you progress through the game on a general run? I like to be kind of methodical, in that I'll generally check out the whole level before I exit, I miss the times doors but I do end up pretty powerful via the scrolls when I get to a boss. It also makes each run long, so much so that I generally only do a run or two before shutting it off, the concentration is quite tiring!

How do you progress through the game on a general run? I like to be kind of methodical, in that I'll generally check out the whole level before I exit, I miss the times doors but I do end up pretty powerful via the scrolls when I get to a boss. It also makes each run long, so much so that I generally only do a run or two before shutting it off, the concentration is quite tiring!

Yeah i clear each level before i leave it usually, always trying to perfect my build as i usually start with utter ****e weapons, or weapons that dont compliment each other.

The timed doors i have got so far have been a meh recipe and some cells, not worth the rush, especially when you end up at a boss with a toothpick :pac:

Plus i just really hate timed events rushing you :mad:

I havent played in quite awhile, getting all the way to the last boss, dying and restarting is sooo exhausting as it takes forever to get back to him, you cant get any practice in on him and hes is ultra hard compared to all other bosses :(

I've only ever made the timed door once. How I progress is dependent on pick ups. Had two games this morning, got to concierge on one with starting rusty blade and the other time only weapon I found was the whip which I'm not a fan of. I've unlocked the random weapon on start which should make things easier. Use a shield the odd time but more often than not I forget its there which is a waste of a slot. Like yourself I prefer to explore the level, if I get to the sewers gate I'll use a transporter to backtrack then look for the other exit. Much more enjoyable for me that way.

What sort of builds do you generally go for? I usually focus on red first then I'd upgrade purple. Don't really bother with green. For mutations I tend to pick the extra chance on death, cool down time on tactics then either the +*** dps on the red weapon Or the +3 HP when you kill an enemy.

When i was last playing, i started just leveling purple and made sure to always have 2 x Double Crossb-o-matic or Sinew Slicer or a mix of both. They are lethal but kinda useless on the 2nd last boss. put the odd points into red and green for the hp buffs.

Dont worry too much about red, as when you pick up a yellow item, it takes on the highest leveled colour. So once you have a yellow melee, it will take on the purple stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I can regularly get up to and past The Concierge now but after that things just always seem to fall apart for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Concierge barely causes any hassle these days, which is part of that sweet spot with the games difficulty curve. The Watcher still causes the odd blip mind you, but I think that's cause in favour turrets, and they're not always the best against him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The final level and boss are definitely a sharp increase in difficulty compared to any of the rest. The ‘corruption’ in the mini-bosses in particular feels designed to screw you over at a late stage, and the boss is more of a damage sponge than any of the others with a few irritating resistances making otherwise excellent weapons useless.

Focusing on purple upgrades is definitely a way to become a tank by the end. You feel the burn from HP shortages as a result though, so you need to be super careful.

What sort of builds do you generally go for? I usually focus on red first then I'd upgrade purple. Don't really bother with green. For mutations I tend to pick the extra chance on death, cool down time on tactics then either the +*** dps on the red weapon Or the +3 HP when you kill an enemy.

It all depends on what drops tbh, one thing to bear in mind though, if you start getting gear without a colour, it scales to your highest stat. I've had a bit of success with more lopsided builds in that regard - as in say an 8, 3,3 - it's still useful to at least take the odd stat boost in another category, purely for the hp boost that comes with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The final level and boss are definitely a sharp increase in difficulty compared to any of the rest. The ‘corruption’ in the mini-bosses in particular feels designed to screw you over at a late stage, and the boss is more of a damage sponge than any of the others with a few irritating resistances making otherwise excellent weapons useless.

Focusing on purple upgrades is definitely a way to become a tank by the end. You feel the burn from HP shortages as a result though, so you need to be super careful.

The castle and Hand of the King are the only sections where I felt the balance / difficulty spike was unfairly calibrated in favour of "the house" so to speak. Everything else is pitch perfect. As you say, the corruption mechanic is pure bullsh*t, and IIRC unexplained so I didn't know what was happening til I get bulldozed over 3, 4 infection points.

Did any of you find, what I can only assume is a Dark Souls reference? Very first level found a secret zone. Came to a section that was closed off. In the sealed off part was a coiled sword in a bonfire. Thought it was a nice touch. You must have to obtain a rune that allows you to smash through floors later in the game. I was unable to get down to the bonfire.

Made it to conjunctivitis. Did ok ish. Also made it to a place called forgotten sepulchre or something. Dunno what happened here but my health bar just started shooting down. Healed 3 times but ran out and died. Didn't even get to see any enemies!

Oh yeah I forgot they renamed The Watched to Conjunctivitis; for a second I wondered what on earth you were talking about, was it a new level or something :D

Made it to conjunctivitis. Did ok ish. Also made it to a place called forgotten sepulchre or something. Dunno what happened here but my health bar just started shooting down. Healed 3 times but ran out and died. Didn't even get to see any enemies!

You need to go from lamp to lamp, the darkness kills

You need to go from lamp to lamp, the darkness kills

Ah so that's what that NPC meant. Cheers man, hadn't a clue what was happening.

So decided to speed run sepulcher. Just kept rolling past enemies. Unfortunately they were mostly those that teleport so ended up getting murdered by about 10 ninja types. Not a fan of that level. I've heard when you finish the game you unlock hard mode. Honestly can't see how it gets harder than it already is.

At one point I had a skull *2 over my head. Hadn't a clue what it was but noticed enemies hitting exceptionally hard. Turns out I was taking twice damage. No idea why.

• Advertisement

So decided to speed run sepulcher. Just kept rolling past enemies. Unfortunately they were mostly those that teleport so ended up getting murdered by about 10 ninja types. Not a fan of that level. I've heard when you finish the game you unlock hard mode. Honestly can't see how it gets harder than it already is.

At one point I had a skull *2 over my head. Hadn't a clue what it was but noticed enemies hitting exceptionally hard. Turns out I was taking twice damage. No idea why.

Yeah its one of the stats you can get/roll on with items, i dont like it myself but you can wreck mobs fast. Just re-roll the stat when you get to the end of the level.

As for the sepulcher, just take it slow, when in doubt, run back the way you came to reset the light. Also lead mobs back to lamps to tackle them, the ninja guys are easy, just keep rolling behind them, they move fast but there attack is slow. You will also come across lamps you turn on when you walk into them, they give off a kind of blue glow, they are only temporary though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Any word of the big patch to allocate starting weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Still in Alpha (and still some time away I think...)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/588650/announcements/detail/1709574265070603465

Been playing this on game pass. Gem of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Been playing this on game pass. Gem of a game.

Started it last night aswell. Its super.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Best platform for this? I can get PS4, Switch, or iOS (just kidding I know the port is probably awful!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Glebee

Loving this at the moment, it does get a lot easier when you gear up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So this is free on PS Now (limited I think), so I said I'd give it a bash. I never pulled the trigger on it because of the pixelated art style.

So I've about 10 hours played (roughly, don't know if you can check this on PS4), and while the gameplay is really, really good, and it's a very interesting concept, the return to start with every death is already starting to grate me. Took me a while to get used to the mechanics of it, and realise the roll is basically invincibility. After finally getting to grips with it, I had a really good run with excellent gear (for early game, apparantly), and the Concierge was always kicking my arse. So on this run, I got to him but still had 2 hits left from a death curse, and while I got him down to 1/3rd health, one hit and I was back to the start.

I persevered, and managed to get to him again with no curse this time, a powerful hammer with extra damage against frozen enemies, a freeze bow, freeze bomb and that turret thingy. Beat him that time, got to the village area next and died fairly quickly. Back to the start. Ugh. And it seems you need hundreds of cells to start unlocking stuff. I've cleared every biome as best I could with each play, to make sure I get cells and good gear for the post Concierge levels, but still get me ass handed to me after that. Also had my first encounter with a malaise level, and feck that for a game of soldiers!

The starting from the beginning each time is what is currently putting me off. I know you can speedrun to get there, but you lose out on cells and powers (because of the procedural generations each time, I can never make it in time to unlock the timed doors, and rarely get the 30 kills without hits). I would much prefer if after each main boss (Concierge is the first "main" boss, no?), that it resets you there.

I'll keep at it for another while, but I can't see myself sticking with it for much longer. I know the deaths are mostly my own fault, but the levels after the Concierge ramp up in difficulty and I don't feel like I'll ever be fully specced for them, especially the malaise one. I had no choice but to go to the malaise level as the other exit was locked and I couldn't find any more keys to open it. I'll not open that one next time, if I get there, and see what else it has to offer.

Any tips are welcome, because I haven't read this thread in case of spoilers. For now, my favourite loadout, if I can manage to get it, is the hammer with extra damage to frozen enemies, the frost bow, the zoom past and hit for extra damage, and usually the freeze bomb. But it's all random. Does that room with the vials at the start eventually let you select starting weapons?

Edit: I also think this game would be a lot better with improved graphics. Nothing AAA levels, but smoother in general.

So this is free on PS Now (limited I think), so I said I'd give it a bash. I never pulled the trigger on it because of the pixelated art style.

So I've about 10 hours played (roughly, don't know if you can check this on PS4), and while the gameplay is really, really good, and it's a very interesting concept, the return to start with every death is already starting to grate me. Took me a while to get used to the mechanics of it, and realise the roll is basically invincibility. After finally getting to grips with it, I had a really good run with excellent gear (for early game, apparantly), and the Concierge was always kicking my arse. So on this run, I got to him but still had 2 hits left from a death curse, and while I got him down to 1/3rd health, one hit and I was back to the start.

I persevered, and managed to get to him again with no curse this time, a powerful hammer with extra damage against frozen enemies, a freeze bow, freeze bomb and that turret thingy. Beat him that time, got to the village area next and died fairly quickly. Back to the start. Ugh. And it seems you need hundreds of cells to start unlocking stuff. I've cleared every biome as best I could with each play, to make sure I get cells and good gear for the post Concierge levels, but still get me ass handed to me after that. Also had my first encounter with a malaise level, and feck that for a game of soldiers!

The starting from the beginning each time is what is currently putting me off. I know you can speedrun to get there, but you lose out on cells and powers (because of the procedural generations each time, I can never make it in time to unlock the timed doors, and rarely get the 30 kills without hits). I would much prefer if after each main boss (Concierge is the first "main" boss, no?), that it resets you there.

I'll keep at it for another while, but I can't see myself sticking with it for much longer. I know the deaths are mostly my own fault, but the levels after the Concierge ramp up in difficulty and I don't feel like I'll ever be fully specced for them, especially the malaise one. I had no choice but to go to the malaise level as the other exit was locked and I couldn't find any more keys to open it. I'll not open that one next time, if I get there, and see what else it has to offer.

Any tips are welcome, because I haven't read this thread in case of spoilers. For now, my favourite loadout, if I can manage to get it, is the hammer with extra damage to frozen enemies, the frost bow, the zoom past and hit for extra damage, and usually the freeze bomb. But it's all random. Does that room with the vials at the start eventually let you select starting weapons?

Edit: I also think this game would be a lot better with improved graphics. Nothing AAA levels, but smoother in general.

Take your time, explore the levels, you'll find more abilities which will unlock different paths.

Use traps that apply damage over time to enemies, it'll make bits of the concierge.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was the constant restarting from the start that eventually turned me off the game, i got to the last boss (at the time anyway, not sure if they've added more content) and the boss is a big step up in difficulty over all others i felt. So it was just too much of a slog to practice on him, nevermind defeating him.. The gameplay wasnt fun enough to keep me trying that much :(

So i put it down and never picked it back up, it does have a whopper soundtrack though :)

Advertisement