Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ys Seven and Oath in Felghana are the two best on the PSN store. I really liked Ys Chronicles as well, fantastic remakes of the first two games but the obtuse elements of the first game mean you need a walkthrough to get through it (XSeed knew this so included a walkthrough in the manual for Ys 1). Still well worth getting though and Ys 2 is just superb.

OK so which should I start with? From what I'm seeing Ys 1 is the first but is this a similar case to persona where 3 was a far better starting point?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I'll put it this way. The storylines are so cliche that the later games actively take the piss out of how bad they are themselves. Nearly every game starts with the main character washing up on the shore with the exception of one of the later games were the characters joke about how Adol didn't end up washing up on shore before that exact thing happens. Dogi saving Adol by busting open a wall with his head has gone from trope to a comedy act. It's more a series that you play because the ARPG combat mechanics are insanely fast paced and fun so it really doesn't matter what order you play them in even though they all follow each other.

I heard that it's best to start with Ys Seven. I'd only recommend Chronicles to fans of the series since it might initially put people off with the slow start and the fact that Ys 2 is a massive improvement over the first game but in this case you should play 1 and 2 in order (Chronicles has both 1 and 2 on it). Oath in Felghana is a remake of the third game in the series and is the best by far but start with Ys Seven because Felghana makes so many improvements over Seven that it can be hard to go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2012/060712b.html

Aksys are still putting out psp games. Good on them, though I'm not sure if there's anyone actually interested in a SRPG based on ragnarok online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've a 40 dollar psn card what would ye recommend I get ?

Well I'll put it this way. The storylines are so cliche that the later games actively take the piss out of how bad they are themselves. Nearly every game starts with the main character washing up on the shore with the exception of one of the later games were the characters joke about how Adol didn't end up washing up on shore before that exact thing happens. Dogi saving Adol by busting open a wall with his head has gone from trope to a comedy act. It's more a series that you play because the ARPG combat mechanics are insanely fast paced and fun so it really doesn't matter what order you play them in even though they all follow each other.

I heard that it's best to start with Ys Seven. I'd only recommend Chronicles to fans of the series since it might initially put people off with the slow start and the fact that Ys 2 is a massive improvement over the first game but in this case you should play 1 and 2 in order (Chronicles has both 1 and 2 on it). Oath in Felghana is a remake of the third game in the series and is the best by far but start with Ys Seven because Felghana makes so many improvements over Seven that it can be hard to go back to it.

About 3 hours into Ys Seven and have to say, I'm glad you gave me the outline, the in game jokes are making loads more sense ("Lucky we didn't go by boat eh Adol?") etc. Also, I get the feeling they are taking the mick out of FF7 a bit with the flower seller role at the start, especially when talking to an NPC later who says something like "I love the flower girl in the market, whats her name? Iris? Eris?" when the girls name is nothing of the sort (its Tia).

Great fun though, cheers for the heads up on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I'm playing though Ni no Kuni on PS3 now and I'm about 35 hours into it. If anyone wants to know about it just ask me. :) It's great by the way.

Edit: I wrote this up on another forum so I figured I'd just copy paste it here. It's fairly long, so apologies for that. I just enjoy writing about this game.
    The presentation is amazing and as a Ghibli fan I’m not disappointed at all. The game engine does a great job of replicating the feel of a Ghibli world and even though the animated cut scenes from Ghibli are quite short and scarce they are at the high standard you’d expect from them. Everything else from the characters to the spells and skills look great.

The game has a world map, town and dungeon system which I really like. The world map is exactly like say,FFVII for example and it has hidden places to explore like caves and forests that aren’t marked on the map. The towns are big and have plenty of NPCs to chat to, many of whom have something interesting to say. The NPCs also give you your usual RPG style quests, but there are also other types of quests, such as bounty quests that have you defeat a special type of a certain imajinn and heart piece quests which have you seek out different personality types and transfer it to people who need it. This quest type ties into the story quite a lot.

The battle system is real time and you fight with either the main characters or with imajinns. At first you can only use the imajinns you get given, but you can soon start capturing them. There are about 10 different styles of imajinn such as beast, bird, dragon etc, and each one can evolve which changes their abilities, stats and even appearance. There are 3 or 4 stages to each imajinn and including the stages there are about 400 imajinn in total to collect and use.

When fighting enemies, they sometimes drop hp/mp orbs, but on more rarer occasions they drop golden orbs which lets the collector use a special ability. Each character and imajinn has their own unique special ability so there are tons to see and trying to see them all is something really fun. Each character can have 3 imajinn to battle with with 3 in reserve to swap outside of battle and you can store 400 imajinn in “manholes” around towns and dungeons.

The story is one of the big plus points of the game. It is kind of the usual hero story, but it’s stylized in a way that makes it interesting and different to anything else. I like all of the characters especially Shizuki(Drippy, the side kick of Oliver) as he’s really funny. The side quests too sometimes have pretty interesting stories to them.

I worry a little bit about certain aspects of the localisation though. For example you go to a forest named Dotonmori (mori means forest) which is a play on a town in Osaka, Japan called Dotonbori, The forest is designed to look like Dotonbori and everyone in there speaks in an Osakan dialect. It’ll be kind of a shame to have these things lost on the player, but I know Level 5 usually have very good localisation. They’re giving Drippy a Welsh accent which should be fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

In the Azumanga Daioh anime they gave the character from Osaka a deep-south (American) accent to distinguish her from the more neutral American accents of the others. They explained that that was the closest they could get to the difference between Osaka/Tokyo. Not sure if that'd work in Ni No Kuni.

Actually picked up the DS version last year, but mainly for the amazing book that came with it and my obsession with all things DS, I've no chance of being able to follow it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RedXIV wrote: »
    About 3 hours into Ys Seven and have to say, I'm glad you gave me the outline, the in game jokes are making loads more sense ("Lucky we didn't go by boat eh Adol?") etc. Also, I get the feeling they are taking the mick out of FF7 a bit with the flower seller role at the start, especially when talking to an NPC later who says something like "I love the flower girl in the market, whats her name? Iris? Eris?" when the girls name is nothing of the sort (its Tia).

Great fun though, cheers for the heads up on it :D

Make sure you move on to Oath in Felghana ASAP :) I love Seven: was my first experience of the series, and while it's a little easy I loved the presentation, music and gameplay. Played it over the course of a month in Japan and it made the extended train trips fly by. Oath in Felghana just tops it in pretty much every respect, and is occasionally an absolute bastard difficulty wise too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the topic of Ys, I was selfishly hoping the remake of IV would be **** because I can't afford a Vita. These screenshots therefore fill me with despair, because it looks awesome:

http://kotaku.com/5919908/i-really-hope-this-action+rpg-comes-to-the-us/gallery/1

On the topic of Ys, I was selfishly hoping the remake of IV would be **** because I can't afford a Vita. These screenshots therefore fill me with despair, because it looks awesome:

http://kotaku.com/5919908/i-really-hope-this-action+rpg-comes-to-the-us/gallery/1

By the time it manages to get released in the west I'm sure the vita will get a price drop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a steam leak that suggests that FFVII and FFVIII are heading to Steam. More than likely true considering Squaresoft own Eidos, the original publisher of the PC versions so it's not longer a cluster**** of legal issues.

There's a steam leak that suggests that FFVII and FFVIII are heading to Steam. More than likely true considering Squaresoft own Eidos, the original publisher of the PC versions so it's not longer a cluster**** of legal issues.

Cloud saves and achievements too. I wonder how their going to handle the music. Since they presumably can add in the hooks for achievements they should be able to replace the music with mp3's of the playstation soundtrack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just googled that and some sites are saying the ports are proving too unstable on Windows 7 and that Square Enix have been holding back on releasing them.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

They've been in the steam registry for ages so we know they been trying to for years. This recent stuff suggests it's actually going to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Just listing out old Jrpgs I played mostly ps1 for. Im leaving out the FF series.

Legend of Legaia-I played so far back I cant remember much details but I did love it. The learning moves from enemies was fun. It was difficult enough back when I was 10. But the thing that stood out was the Debug menu, I use to use cheat alot back then. The music was very memorable, oh the pan pipes. I think I finished it but cant remember. Battle system was fast enough not too complicated but still interesting with combos.

Wild Arms-Jrpg Cowboys. What else can I say. I dont think I finished this game because I distinctly remember being stuck in a cave and I had to boot something I think but I just gave up there.

Legend of Dragoon- Quicktime turn based battles. That was its feature that stood out the most to me. Story was so and so but Dragoon transformation and its 3d graphics kept me playing...until disc 3 cos it was broken. Oh ingame disc swapping. Those were the days.

Legend of Cocoon- I never actually managed to even get to the 1st hour of the game cos the CD I got from my friend was badly scratched but I kept trying..

Megamand Legends- Yes yes. Loved the games. Must play the platforming was abit awkward sometimes due to stiff movements but other than that it was a blast to play.

Digimon world 2- I like this the best out of the series because of its dungeon crawling and turn based combat system a la FF. The other games had entirely different gameplay which didn't appeal to me.

Xenogear- My all time favourite. Highly recommended. Mechs and great story.
    Play it. If only PSN would add more PS1 games.

Breath of fire 4- Another highly recommend. The art is very beautiful for its generation and the story was just as great. Mixing up elements to create different attacks was great, Always surprised on what attack I can make up. And ofcourse the fishing mini game. :D

This is all I can remember so far. I might post more later. I want to hear peoples experience of the games I listed and just to reminisce on good old games. I didnt own a PS2 so I missed out on the sequels all I can do I wait for more old game to be available on PSN.

Out of those that I've played Legend of Dragoon is quite possibly the worst JRPG on the PS1. Manages to distill everything that was wrong with PS1 era JRPGs into 4 discs of torture. My girlfriend was actually talking to me last night about it saying how she never wanted to even see the box art again after playing it for an hout after she mistakenly thought it would be 'so bad it's good'. Dreadful story, crap graphics, horrendous localisation and probably the worst battles system of any RPG topped off with frequent load times.

Xenogears is an absolute trainwreck of a game but a very interesting one. It's a total rip off of evangelion as well. For every really clever idea the game has it has another absolutely stupid scene, like the teddy bear crucification or the 'soylent system', guess what that one does. The whole second disc is a complete mess. However I still think it's worth playing, it looks good, it's interesting despite some instances of out and out stupidity and the battle system is quite unique. Not really the games fault it's a mess, the team was gutted so that FFVII could get released on time.

Megaman Legends isn't an RPG, it plays more like Ocarina of Time (and actually came out before it). It is however so god damn good, the sequel is even better as is the spin-off Misadventures of Tron Bonne. Definitely 3 of the most underappreciated PS1 games.

Must play Breath of Fire 4, have a few friends and my GF nagging me to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Out of those that I've played Legend of Dragoon is quite possibly the worst JRPG on the PS1. Manages to distill everything that was wrong with PS1 era JRPGs into 4 discs of torture. My girlfriend was actually talking to me last night about it saying how she never wanted to even see the box art again after playing it for an hout after she mistakenly thought it would be 'so bad it's good'. Dreadful story, crap graphics, horrendous localisation and probably the worst battles system of any RPG topped off with frequent load times.

Xenogears is an absolute trainwreck of a game but a very interesting one. It's a total rip off of evangelion as well. For every really clever idea the game has it has another absolutely stupid scene, like the teddy bear crucification or the 'soylent system', guess what that one does. The whole second disc is a complete mess. However I still think it's worth playing, it looks good, it's interesting despite some instances of out and out stupidity and the battle system is quite unique. Not really the games fault it's a mess, the team was gutted so that FFVII could get released on time.

Megaman Legends isn't an RPG, it plays more like Ocarina of Time (and actually came out before it). It is however so god damn good, the sequel is even better as is the spin-off Misadventures of Tron Bonne. Definitely 3 of the most underappreciated PS1 games.

Must play Breath of Fire 4, have a few friends and my GF nagging me to play it.

I was around 10 when I played these game so I was mystified by Legend of dragoon due to my naivety . I remember Jackie Chan Stuntmaster was one of my favourites.

I haven't seen Evangelion so I kinda went into the game from a different perspective. But I saw Escaflowne as a kid. I did enjoy story myself.

Maybe if I play them now again I might see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still think Granstream Saga is the worst of all the PSone RPG's but Dragoon is certainly up there. It's just completely soulless.

Beyond the Beyond and Shadow Madness deserve a place in the worst RPG competition as well.

Would love to see FFVII on steam just to see the "debug" room that people were able to get into on the PC version. Other than that, I don't know if having it on my PC as well as PSOne, PSP, PS3, Phone, probably Vita soon is going to be necessary.

I remember having the demo of grandstream saga and thinking it was horrible :)

I also played one of the wild arms games but they had insane difficulty spikes! Was happily playing away for about 2 hours and then boom, a dungeon full of one hit kill enemies.

Also miss Dark Chronicle on the PS2 that I used to have. I loved the idea of it but didn't like the dungeon design so sold it on. Probably my biggest regret to date.

• Advertisement

You could use action replay codes to get into the debug room on PS1. There was tonnes of stuff left on the disc that wasn't used in the main game. The japanese game is loaded with this stuff, a lot was removed from western releases.

I must replay Granstream Saga for ****s and giggles, even though I know I'll regret it instantly. As a kid in the midst of FFVII withdrawl (and pig ignorant in relation the ways of the JRPG), it was a game I discovered in Xtravision and gorged on for the rental duration. Liked it at the time, but then I was an idiot as a kid.

I've heard a lot of good things about Granstream Saga. It was made by Quintet who made Actraiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma so quite a good predigree there considering all those games are amazing. The graphics are terrible but then again it was the first JRPG with 3D graphics on the PS1. I'll have to try it myself because I've loved all of quintets games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I remember renting Granstream after playing the demo from a mag cover disc. Remember very little of the game, all I know is the islands you visited were based off the 4 elements, the second was a huge lake with a town on it and a big waterfallflowing into it with some creepy cult running round the town.....or something.

Tales of Xillia just got announced at Japan Expo. Bit surprising they're announcing it before graces f gets released in Europe.

It's more than likely just not going to come here unfortunately. Picked it up in the US myself thank god.

Good news that Xillia is getting a western release.

It's more than likely just not going to come here unfortunately. Picked it up in the US myself thank god.

Good news that Xillia is getting a western release.

What? It's coming out at the end of august with a special edition and everything. They had a trailer for it before they announced Xillia.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ah ok, just haven't been paying attention because I knew I was getting it from the US :)

• Advertisement

It'll be a couple of yrs before we see Xillia 2 no doubt :P

Advertisement