Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vasectomy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

beertons wrote: »
    Only down the road from me. Friday afternoon is when I plan on going in. Can I ask how much it cost. And how soon till you got back in the saddle!

How did you get on? Hope all went well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

DBK wrote: »
    How did you get on? Hope all went well.

A Friday afternoon, damn phone missing letters. I'll hopefully be getting it done September or October, when i have spare funds. Baby number 2 is causing my wallet to bleed alot atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LFCGavin

I got it done on a Fri 2pm and was surprisingly looking for action by 9/10pm that night to the wife's amazement. Even though you wont be sore straight after it I'd STRONGLY reccommend nurofen plus 3 times a day for about 5 days. I waited until I was sore then took them and was fine about a day later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LFCGavin

beertons wrote: »
    A Friday afternoon, damn phone missing letters. I'll hopefully be getting it done September or October, when i have spare funds. Baby number 2 is causing my wallet to bleed alot atm.

Dont mean to be nosey but if you have a medical card, its done for free at Morehampton clinic, just to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Its funny when you go into a Chemist now and ask for Nurofen plus and they ask what's it for (cause it contains Codine) and you tell them :).... conversation ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Strangely enough, when I went to the chemist to get Nurofen Plus, I wasn't grilled all that much. The pharmacist just told me not to take more than X amount per day. I'd definitely recommend not taking too many though because my face broke out in a rash after a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

So.....you get to a stage in life where you've a few nippers, stable and happy marriage...really no reason to rock the boat and upset the applecart.
    Not getting any younger either, still on the right (?) side of 40 but not for long.

I was talking to my wonderful other half about things in general, kids, would we want any more etc. etc. and the subject of vasectomy came up.

Now....I genuinely think that I wouldn't want any more kids, but....this seems like a rather permanent solution, and I'm too young, and I've heard absolute horror stories about Veet in the wrong places, and what if it all goes horribly wrong, and, and <deep breath>.....

So gents, did you have a vasectomy? Will you? What age were you? Do you regret it? How sore was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

You have a "but".

Vasectomy is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

wexie wrote: »
    So.....you get to a stage in life where you've a few nippers, stable and happy marriage...really no reason to rock the boat and upset the applecart.

Not getting any younger either, still on the right (?) side of 40 but not for long.

I was talking to my wonderful other half about things in general, kids, would we want any more etc. etc.

I havent personally had a vasectomy but my
    uncle sean has. He's in his early 40's. It's a relatively simple
    procedure (I think you can get it done as a key hole surgery)
    so it's not very invasive either. As for regrets thats more
    something you have to ask yourself. No regrets from
    my uncle so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I've discussed it with mrs. folan and, while shes not too happy about it, i want to go that way after we have a couple of kids.

Also, you may want to look into reverse vasectomy too.

Have a chat with the doctor before you decide anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You have to ask yourself where the "but" is coming from really. Are you unsure if you want to have more kids? If you had it done, under what circumstances would you want it reversed?

It's a permanent thing, so like a tattoo or any other permanent modification you obviously need to give it proper consideration and until it's done you will always be apprehensive about whether it's the right move.

You're probably best off trying to disconnect from it emotionally - only weigh up the logic pros and cons and don't let your fears have any input.

I'm pretty sure when myself and the mrs are done reproducing and we've had a few months to make tripley sure that we are, then I'll go get this done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

seamus wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure when myself and the mrs are done reproducing and we've had a few months to make tripley sure that we are, then I'll go get this done.

That's all good advice thanks, however, beware that if your missus is anything like mine then all it takes for the itch to come back is a newborn, a toddler in a nappy waddling past in the street, the smell of baby puke, a tiny little babygrow, baby shoes, baby socks, the list is endless.

I like the idea of a reversible procedure though I must say, definitely something to look into. While we were discussing the idea the subject of me remarrying (for whatever reason) came up (missus actually brought it up, wonders what she's at) and deciding I wanted more kids which I guess could be a (remote) possibility.

It's hard to leave out the emotion, cause er....well....me and the little fella have quite a close bond :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

wexie wrote: »
    So gents, did you have a vasectomy? Will you? What age were you? Do you regret it? How sore was it?

Yes, my story is above. I'm 36 and I don't regret it. It was very sore. When I thought it over, I reckoned that I don't want more kids, even though I only have one and if the worst were to happen (wife and daughter both die in a freak accident), I still wouldn't want to have any more kids. It is reversible but reversal isn't 100% successful so you should consider a vasectomy as permanent. This is also a fairly simple and routine procedure so I wouldn't worry about things going horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey I've a couple of questions - will a doctor give you the snip if you have no kids, and is there an age limit ie nobody under 35 or something. Thanks.

I reckon fellas should be allowed have it any age/status once they know what it entails. I support a man's right to choose, pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BobTheNihilist

Well guys, does anyone know if they'll do the snip on you if you have no kids? I'm serious. And is it true they won't do it if youre under a certain age? (35 I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As far as I know, there are no formal restrictions in Ireland for men. But much like it is for women, they will do a fairly intensive counselling session beforehand and may reject you if they don't believe that you're suitable for such a long-term procedure.

The 35 number probably comes from hysterectomies - afaik, no hospital in Ireland will perform an elective hysterectomy on a woman under 35.

Their main concern is the person turning around in five/ten years time and claiming that the hospital should not have carried out the procedure and suing them. A recent IFPA report found that while the no. of single men getting snipped was on the rise - 8% in 2008 - the procedure was not performed on any single childless men. Though they certainly did do it on plenty of men under 35, the average age being 36. http://www.ifpa.ie/node/161

So while there's no legal age restriction, you might have difficulty finding a clinic who are willing to perform it on a young single childless man, because the younger and singler you are, the more they're opening themselves up to being sued for negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

seamus wrote: »
    But much like it is for women, they will do a fairly intensive counselling session beforehand and may reject you if they don't believe that you're suitable for such a long-term procedure.

So while there's no legal age restriction, you might have difficulty finding a clinic who are willing to perform it on a young single childless man

Not true of all places. I had mine done by a certain doctor in Blanchardstown, who also operates from Clane and there wasn't as much as a consultation over the phone.

He asked me, while I was lying on the table (and after I'd pulled down my trousers) if I had any kids. I was 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Personally no it wouldn't be for me.

Personally no it wouldn't be for me.

Thanks for that insightful contribution

• Advertisement

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Thanks for that insightful contribution

We were asked our opinions so no need for a smart arse comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

We were asked our opinions so no need for a smart arse comment.

Did you actually read the first post on this thread?

Did you actually read the first post on this thread?

Did you actually know that the 2 threads were merged and i was posting on the second one?

Did you actually know that I was just responding to post 98 where we were asked would we have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Did you actually know that the 2 threads were merged and i was posting on the second one?

Did you actually know that I was just responding to post 98 where we were asked would we have one?

Did you actually know that's normally why posts are quoted when replying to them, so people reading the thread know what you're answering when you type a response to a question, it makes the thread a lot easier to follow, especially when you decide to answer a question that was back in post 98, on a merged thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

galwayguy and tashiusclay, quit it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I've mine booked for September in Ennis! Looking forward to being a "Sports model" - built for fun!

If anyone is looking for a deal on vasectomies, GrabOne are doing a deal right now with Vasectomy Ireland:

http://www.grabone.ie/refer/17308

It's €195 instead of €395. This is with the same doctor who did mine and he's been doing The Snip for over 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Not true of all places. I had mine done by a certain doctor in Blanchardstown, who also operates from Clane and there wasn't as much as a consultation over the phone.

He asked me, while I was lying on the table (and after I'd pulled down my trousers) if I had any kids. I was 27.

Would you recommend this guy?

Would you recommend this guy?

Yes I would, 100%.

It was a relatively painless experience. I had no post-op complications and my wife and I have had no unexpected little surprises since.

I found him and his office very professional and the price was reasonable.

I heard before that he has done the most procedures out of all the practising doctors but I don't know how true that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 themaineman

Thanks to all the posters here, found the info very useful. I had mine done yesterday. I was sh1tting myself, I even considered turning back at the door but forced myself through. The office was very professional and friendly. The doctor and nurse were very helpful and explained everything. I think the could tell that I could bolt for the door at any second.

As for the proceedure... well after the local anesthetic I couldn't feel a thing except for a bit of tugging. The op took about 15 mins and it flew by. The injection in the sack is very like an injection for a filling, a bit of a sting but the anticipation is far worse than the injectsions themselves - and I have a strong dislike for needles !. I'd summarise by saying it wasn't particularly enjoyable but there really was nothing to it.

After the op I went home a took nurofen plus every four hours or so. 24 hours on and I am waiting for some post-op pain but so far haven't felt a think - everything feels very normal and pain-free downstairs.

Oh yeah, I had it done in the <name of clinic removed> and I would definitely recommend them 100%

Advertisement