Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dead Cells

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, that's what will kill this game for me. I know one can make a separate save file, etc, but seems like too much work for a game which could have, if they wanted, to include a checkpoint system after each main boss. Queue the people saying 'That's not the way the game works, etc'.

Edit: I accidentally figured out a way to beat death... Close the game as soon as you get killed... Might play it a bit longer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah, that's what will kill this game for me. I know one can make a separate save file, etc, but seems like too much work for a game which could have, if they wanted, to include a checkpoint system after each main boss. Queue the people saying 'That's not the way the game works, etc'.

Edit: I accidentally figured out a way to beat death... Close the game as soon as you get killed... Might play it a bit longer now.

I didnt actually realise you could quit to avoid death!

its the early days that are tough, and the runs long, once you've a bit of time under your belt, you'll have more blueprints unlocked (invest in the healing item early, as well as the YOLO one to give you a retry if you die).
    The increased weapon selection gives you a wider variety of tools to pick from and you'll have runs where you'll feel unstoppable.

I have to admit, I put about 30 odd hours into it, and have only beaten it once, but I'm done with it now, but more than happy with the time I spent with it. I'm the kind of gamer who is satisfied to see thing through a single time as theres just too much stuff out there to be playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the point of restarting is to give that sense of accumulated power. Those first couple of stages become a little tedious to re-do, but equally there's a huge sense of power when I'd just blast through the hordes without batting an eye - be it through a good starting weapon or just the mechanics of the game clicking into place. I think there are some shortcuts that can be taken, certainly IIRC you can zip through that very first dungeon in < 60 seconds.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think the point of restarting is to give that sense of accumulated power. Those first couple of stages become a little tedious to re-do, but equally there's a huge sense of power when I'd just blast through the hordes without batting an eye - be it through a good starting weapon or just the mechanics of the game clicking into place. I think there are some shortcuts that can be taken, certainly IIRC you can zip through that very first dungeon in < 60 seconds.

yup, and theres rewards for just burning through them as well, as you'll be able to pull a large amount of cells from the glass jar thing behind the timelocked door in the stage transition.

Well I just got the spider rune, so at least that's a reason to be ok with going back to the start and explore the early areas more. I'll keep at it another while, but as said above, I can't see it lasting much longer.

• Advertisement

Ok, so using my cheaty method, I finally beat the Hand after about 8 tries. And since then I haven't reset a play and let myself die if it happens (which is hasn't much, in fairness), but I've a few questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out, as Google is full of beta answers.

- Malaise. What is it, when does it kick in, and how do I counter it?
    - Poison areas. Do they exist or was I confusing poison with malaise? There was one area with some blade handed insect thingy telling me to follow the light, and I noticed a few times that my health started to randomly drop until I healed. I can't recall if I had the malaise bar above the health bar at the time.
    - Do you have to play on the harder boss cell modes to start getting decent cell drops? Stuff is expensive, especially that lad that wants 500 to unlock the + drop rate, and the next one is 1500 but no idea what it does. With 1 boss cell (on the early levels), I'm still only getting about 20-40 cells per biome.
    - Finally, is there any reason to not have the hammer/freeze bow/freeze grenade combo? Seems to make everything that bit easier!
    - Does picking the brutality mutations have less of an effect if your weapons/skills are mainly purple/green? Or does it still stack the extra damage for combos the red mutations but not the base damage the weapons do? I've also noticed that sometimes the 50/50 purple/green weapons change to mainly one or the other colour with just the corner the second colour, what that about?

I'm starting to enjoy this a bit more, but if I didn't figure out the quit/restart thingy, I probably would have given up after the second or third time getting killed by the hand after having to traverse all the way there each time.

Ok, so using my cheaty method, I finally beat the Hand after about 8 tries. And since then I haven't reset a play and let myself die if it happens (which is hasn't much, in fairness), but I've a few questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out, as Google is full of beta answers.

- Malaise. What is it, when does it kick in, and how do I counter it?
    - Poison areas. Do they exist or was I confusing poison with malaise? There was one area with some blade handed insect thingy telling me to follow the light, and I noticed a few times that my health started to randomly drop until I healed. I can't recall if I had the malaise bar above the health bar at the time.
    - Do you have to play on the harder boss cell modes to start getting decent cell drops? Stuff is expensive, especially that lad that wants 500 to unlock the + drop rate, and the next one is 1500 but no idea what it does. With 1 boss cell (on the early levels), I'm still only getting about 20-40 cells per biome.
    - Finally, is there any reason to not have the hammer/freeze bow/freeze grenade combo? Seems to make everything that bit easier!
    - Does picking the brutality mutations have less of an effect if your weapons/skills are mainly purple/green? Or does it still stack the extra damage for combos the red mutations but not the base damage the weapons do? I've also noticed that sometimes the 50/50 purple/green weapons change to mainly one or the other colour with just the corner the second colour, what that about?

I'm starting to enjoy this a bit more, but if I didn't figure out the quit/restart thingy, I probably would have given up after the second or third time getting killed by the hand after having to traverse all the way there each time.

Ok, its been a while since I played, so more recent patches have probably altered the meta.

for upgrades, you've 3 slots, attack, traps/throwables and vitality, you can drop points into each one to make a balanced build, or go hard into brutality for a hard hitting character. The trade off being that the boost to your vitality is less for each point you assign.
    for example, at 1 point added, (and these figures are guesses) you'll get a 50% boost to vitality, at 2 points, a 40% boost, at 3 points, a 25% and so on.
    later int he game it can be work throwing a point into a lesser stat, purely for the big increase in HP that you get.

The area with the lights, is like a cursed area, you have to keep moving from light point to light point or your health will drain.
    I actually thought that 'Malaise' was a lore thing, that had affected the island as a whole making it the way it is, I dont think it has any gameplay impact.

for the lad looking for 1000s of cells to upgrade all drops to '+' tier - I never did that, I assume its for hardcore players running it over and over at higher difficulties. concentrate on unlocking a wide variety of weapons which will increase the loot pool allowing for more of a variety in your runs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it's definitely still an actively developed game, 'cos only 2 days ago a trailer was released for new content! Don't normally buy duplicate copies of the same game, but the resurrection of this thread tempts to get it for the Switch too - just to have it as that "1 hour blast" game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fairly addicted to this now. Extremely frustrating to die and go through all the same areas again but the powers and weapons are so good to play with and when you get a good loadout it's brilliant.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Fairly addicted to this now. Extremely frustrating to die and go through all the same areas again but the powers and weapons are so good to play with and when you get a good loadout it's brilliant.

It's the movement that makes it for me, there's a behind the scenes feature on YouTube, and the Devs said that it's tuned in such a way as to not punish pixel perfect jumps, it interprets what you want to do, and animates accordingly. Really interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Dug into this again the last while. What a game. Made it to the last boss for the first time there with a tactics built and talk about intense. Had him down to a sliver of health and he got me. Heart hasn't been pounding like that since Ornstein & Smough. Actually I lie, heart was pounding like that this morning tring to pre order a Series X

Advertisement