Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Concrete for bikes/bin storage

• 20-09-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've a 3mx3m area of garden hidden behind a shed that I want to cover with concrete. It's going to be for wheelie bins and bicycles.

What kind of depth of hardcore and concrete do I need?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats the ground like?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

whats the ground like?

Compacted soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

around 80-100mm should do, 1 ton bag should cover the area. Are you going to mix the concrete yourself?

around 80-100mm should do, 1 ton bag should cover the area. Are you going to mix the concrete yourself?

Planning to, yes. I might rent a mixer, haven't looked into the cost of that yet though. Could it be cheaper to get a load delivered?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i would just put down some concrete pavers
    ir will be hidden by shed
    put something down to stop weeds coming up

i would also cover the bikes
    as they will get rusty and you will stop using them

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    i would just put down some concrete pavers
    ir will be hidden by shed
    put something down to stop weeds coming up

i would also cover the bikes
    as they will get rusty and you will stop using them

Yeah, I was thinking about covering the bikes.
    To that end, before I put down any ground cover I was going to sink 3 or 4 wooden uprights to support a kind of lean-to structure. (Sorry, I should have mentioned that at the start)

That's kinda why I was thinking of pouring the floor. I don't want to have to cut tiles around the support poles.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Because I don't enjoy digging deep holes I would just dig out the topsoil (which is useful elsewhere) and then pour a thick slab with reinforcing mesh (on chairs) using delivered concrete.

Then bolt post supports (with standoffs) on to the concrete.

Otherwise you're in for a load of digging and compacting and shovelling and mixing which is overkill for this application, and will leave you with a pile of useless subsoil to deal with.

That said, if you find you've deep topsoil and the concrete is going to work out too expensive, just shove a load of angular stone in there and lazily compact it, as it'll be good for drainage.

tldr: start digging and see what you're working with.

I'd agree with you Lumen about the digging. I think I'll go with your plan and look at steel seat posts that can be fixed to the concrete before or after the pour for the lean-to shelter. Would that solution still be 80-100mm deep of digging ans mentioned by Dublindilbert?

I also plan a side stretch of gravel for drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would that solution still be 80-100mm deep of digging ans mentioned by Dublindilbert?

Depends on your site. On mine the topsoil is 100-150mm deep. You'd want to remove that, not least because topsoil is valuable for growing things in and takes a long time for nature to make.

You'll know when you get to the subsoil because it's a different colour and consistency. It looks kind of greasy and dead. That's the stuff you want to leave alone purely because it's stable enough and useless for growing anything in.

Advertisement