Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing a Ryanair flight

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

mikekerry wrote: »
    Incorrect . I booked my flights in april and am asked to pay change fee

Is it a change fee or difference in fare?

Because flights booked in April can be changed providing the date of the flight is not within 7 days.

Also.. you booked an inflexible flight in April and now you want to change it for whatever reason. I'd chalk that down to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Balls ,I left it too late ,it has to be changed more than 7 days before the flight out ...
    I had gone to change it 2 weeks ago but it showed up that it would cost almost the same as the flight so I didn't continue .,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

It's only flights in june and july they are allowing people change for free

No, they have extended it to September.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

abff wrote: »
    Had to go out, so I gave up after an hour and 50 minutes. I’ll try again tomorrow morning.

Following ba3's advice in post #20, I tried again at 9:40 this morning and got through to someone in about 2 minutes. Problem now sorted and I will get an email confirming flight details, etc. in about a week or so.

Difference in waiting time compared to trying to contact them in the afternoon is certainly worth noting for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭mikekerry

antix80 wrote: »
    Is it a change fee or difference in fare?

Because flights booked in April can be changed providing the date of the flight is not within 7 days.

Also.. you booked an inflexible flight in April and now you want to change it for whatever reason. I'd chalk that down to experience.

I've told you previously but you don't seem to get it.
    Aer lingus are doing the decent thing and allowing people change flights for free.
    Ryanair are not.
    People are not changing flights because they want to. It's because they have to.
    In the general course of things I would have no issue at all paying change flight fee but because these are exceptional circumstances and people are having to change flights because they don't have a choice, at least AL have recognised this.
    Obviously you and ryanair haven't .

• Advertisement

I've told you previously but you don't seem to get it.

I get it! Some airlines are more flexible and have better customer service. Some tickets are more flexible and fully refundable.

But.. with Ryanair's terms and conditions at the time, if you booked in April and need to change it (once it's not within 7 days of the flight departing) - and I may be wrong - they allow a free change, subject to the fare difference. I don't know why this doesn't apply to you.

There's another option which is you can take the flight. It's still going, our country is allowing you to, the country you're travelling to is permitting the flight... just like it was your decision to book the flight in times of uncertainty, you can make the journey too.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue. By this time last year I had a trip to Mexico and one to Spain, with a 3rd weekend break planned for October. This year, I had no foreign travel - I didn't even book it because of the uncertainty with Covid. I know people are up the walls saying the government should do more and the airlines should do more.. People need to take a bit of responsibility.

But.. with Ryanair's terms and conditions at the time, if you booked in April and need to change it (once it's not within 7 days of the flight departing) - and I may be wrong - they allow a free change, subject to the fare difference. I don't know why this doesn't apply to you.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a definitive answer to this. I'm not sure exactly when they brought in the option to book flights that would not be subject to a change fee if subsequently amended, but I'm pretty sure that it only applies if the rebooked flight is before the end of 2020. This is probably not a lot of use to people who have booked a summer holiday destination and want to rebook for next year.

They have taken a less flexible approach than Aer Lingus and I think they would earn a lot of goodwill by waiving change fees for all COVID related changes or, at the very least, reducing the change fees for such cases.
    People need to take a bit of responsibility.

I think that's a bit uncalled for. It's not unreasonable for people to expect some flexibility because of the current exceptional circumstances. It's not as if they are changing their flights on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I get it! Some airlines are more flexible and have better customer service. Some tickets are more flexible and fully refundable.

There's another option which is you can take the flight. It's still going, our country is allowing you to, the country you're travelling to is permitting the flight... just like it was your decision to book the flight in times of uncertainty, you can make the journey too.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue. By this time last year I had a trip to Mexico and one to Spain, with a 3rd weekend break planned for October. This year, I had no foreign travel - I didn't even book it because of the uncertainty with Covid. I know people are up the walls saying the government should do more and the airlines should do more.. People need to take a bit of responsibility.
    Well I booked last November tough **** to me then obviously no covid back then flight is going in 2 hours! Bye bye 1400 euro

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Well I booked last November tough **** to me then obviously no covid back then flight is going in 2 hours! Bye bye 1400 euro

Do you have an annual travel insurance policy? If so, check the policy conditions as it's quite possible you may be covered for any unrecoverable accommodation and travel costs if your intended destination is subject to an "avoid unnecessary travel" advisory.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to find a definitive answer to this. I'm not sure exactly when they brought in the option to book flights that would not be subject to a change fee if subsequently amended, but I'm pretty sure that it only applies if the rebooked flight is before the end of 2020. This is probably not a lot of use to people who have booked a summer holiday destination and want to rebook for next year.

The following travel update on the Ryanair website confirms the bit in bold above.

Ryanair Extends The Removal Of Its Flight Change Fee To All New September Bookings

29 Jul 2020 • 10:48

Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 airline, today (Friday 17 July) announced it will extend the waiving of its flight change fee for all customers who book to travel in Sept – already in place for new July & Aug bookings – allowing them to book their extended summer holidays with peace of mind in case their travel plans change.

From 17 July, customers who book to travel in Sept will be able to move their flights with zero change fee to travel until the 31 Dec 2020.

Ryanair’s Director of Marketing & Digital, Dara Brady said:

“In order to provide as much flexibility and confidence as possible for our customers this summer, we have extended the waiving of our flight change fee to new Sept bookings.

As the holiday season will be prolonged this year, customers can now plan a well-deserved break knowing that flights in July, Aug and now Sept can be moved without any flight change fee if their travel plans change”.

• Advertisement

The following travel update on the Ryanair website confirms the bit in bold above.

Ryanair Extends The Removal Of Its Flight Change Fee To All New September Bookings

29 Jul 2020 • 10:48

Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 airline, today (Friday 17 July) announced it will extend the waiving of its flight change fee for all customers who book to travel in Sept – already in place for new July & Aug bookings – allowing them to book their extended summer holidays with peace of mind in case their travel plans change.

From 17 July, customers who book to travel in Sept will be able to move their flights with zero change fee to travel until the 31 Dec 2020.

Ryanair’s Director of Marketing & Digital, Dara Brady said:

“In order to provide as much flexibility and confidence as possible for our customers this summer, we have extended the waiving of our flight change fee to new Sept bookings.

As the holiday season will be prolonged this year, customers can now plan a well-deserved break knowing that flights in July, Aug and now Sept can be moved without any flight change fee if their travel plans change”.

Yeah my flights were booked for september and I tried rebooking them ( to a country on the green list) but it's still looking for the flight change fee so not sure. Seems to only apply for people who only booked flights from june/july this year ( not earlier than that)

Roanmore wrote: »
    I posted this in the refund thread but then just saw this one.

I had a flight booked for mid July, took the voucher and booked a flight to Spain for early Sept as I stupidly thought things may have quietened down in Spain.

We're looking at Malta for the same time but when I went in to change the flights it was costing 180 to change, it's supposed to be free isn't it?

Anybody have this issue?

Alright, got an update of this, got on to the Chat Person.

In Jan I booked my flight for Spain for July. This got cancelled and I took the voucher instead of a refund (a mistake).
    I booked new flights to Spain for Sept which now looks like it won't happen, due to the Green List, etc. so I changed this to Malta.

I'm not entitled to free flight change because the original booking was made in January which I think is rubbish as Ryanair cancelled the July flight, it was outside my control.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Acosta wrote: »
    Use it or lose it with regards to Ryanair. These flights are all operating with barely any passengers so they don't have to refund anyone.

Unless they change departure times beyond 2 hours. Is that a refund situation then?

Alright, got an update of this, got on to the Chat Person.

In Jan I booked my flight for Spain for July. This got cancelled and I took the voucher instead of a refund (a mistake).
    I booked new flights to Spain for Sept which now looks like it won't happen, due to the Green List, etc. so I changed this to Malta.

I'm not entitled to free flight change because the original booking was made in January which I think is rubbish as Ryanair cancelled the July flight, it was outside my control.

But you should be safe enough to fly to malta in september ?
    It's on the green list

But you should be safe enough to fly to malta in september ?
    It's on the green list

Yeah, but they are charging me 180 euro to change, I'm saying they cancelled the original flight and I chose the voucher option. I then booked another flight with that voucher, that should be the date they use, not the original January date.

Yeah, but they are charging me 180 euro to change, I'm saying they cancelled the original flight and I chose the voucher option. I then booked another flight with that voucher, that should be the date they use, not the original January date.

yeah that's very unfair.

It probably should. i don't know the T&Cs of the voucher, but if you accepted a voucher that was as good as cash, and booked a new flights using that voucher, the T&Cs should be the ones for that booking .. which at the time of your booking probably said something along the lines of "for flights booked in March you can change the date.."

They’re definitely being very stingy about it, but I think they’re probably charging the fee because your booking was for September and the extension of the no fee offer to September flights only came into place on July 17th. Horrible way to deal with customers, but they’re probably technically within their rights to do so.

If I was you, I wouldn’t pay the €180 and I’d wait until closer to the date to see whether things have settled back down in Spain.

They’re definitely being very stingy about it, but I think they’re probably charging the fee because your booking was for September and the extension of the no fee offer to September flights only came into place on July 17th. Horrible way to deal with customers, but they’re probably technically within their rights to do so.

If I was you, I wouldn’t pay the €180 and I’d wait until closer to the date to see whether things have settled back down in Spain.

Agreed just wait a bit closer to the time.
    Maybe by end of august things might change with that silly green list

No, unless you can claim it on your insurance. The only thing you can reclaim is any government taxes, minus €20 admin fee per person. At this stage, it looks like the only way I’ll get this information is when and if I submit a claim.

I decided not to travel and applied for a refund of government taxes (subject to €20 admin charge). This was back in mid July.

I haven’t even received an acknowledgement from them. I realise that I may not be due anything if the total taxes were less than €20 a head, but I would have thought they should at least send an email confirming this.

Not that big a deal, given everything that’s going on, but yet another example of Ryanair’s deplorable customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Luckily they changed the times of our Spanish October flights enough that I had the option of a refund, so I went with that. Still waiting on my May refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

spurious wrote: »
    Luckily they changed the times of our Spanish October flights enough that I had the option of a refund, so I went with that. Still waiting on my May refund.

On this^^,
    Just got an email this evening that they've changed the times also of my Spanish October flights. I've been given three options so I'm gonna take the cancellation. I booked the whole package through 'loveholidays' however and I'm currently 147 in the queue to speak to an agent.

Has anyone else been in this position and would they know if I could just cancel online on the loveholidays 'manage my holiday' portal.
    Thanks.

Can you get a refund on a flight under 1500kms if Ryanair push the departure time by over 2 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can you get a refund on a flight under 1500kms if Ryanair push the departure time by over 2 hours?

Don't really know about the mileage involved but I took the refund option when offered on my trip to Malaga, and I couldn't believe it when I got the email this morning stating that the cash has been transferred back to my bank account and to wait for 5 to 7 days to clear.
    Not too bad in fairness considering all the previous horror stories.
    Kudos Ryanair!!!

The question is focused on the time change I guess, if it’s more than 2 hours does this automatically entitle one to a refund option?

I decided not to travel and applied for a refund of government taxes (subject to €20 admin charge). This was back in mid July.

I haven’t even received an acknowledgement from them. I realise that I may not be due anything if the total taxes were less than €20 a head, but I would have thought they should at least send an email confirming this.

Not that big a deal, given everything that’s going on, but yet another example of Ryanair’s deplorable customer service.

I got the following response from Ryanair yesterday.

Dear Customer,,

I acknowledge receipt of your recent refund request.

In accordance with Article 4.2 of our General Terms and Conditions of Carriage, we refund only the government taxes that may be included in the ticket price and, thus, passed on to our passenger’s subject to a deduction by us of an administration charge of £17/20EUR. Our prices do not include any other third-party fees and charges for costs we incur to provide our services (such as airport and security charges, maintenance fees etc.). We bear the costs for these services. All other monies paid are non-refundable.

In this case, the administration fee exceeds the total amount of government taxes included in the price and clearly indicated in the price break-down at the time you made your booking, unfortunately, no refund is due in this instance.

We recommend that you contact your travel insurer regarding this claim.

Yours sincerely,

Ryanair Customer Services.

Unfortunately, email replies to this address cannot be accepted.

The outcome doesn't surprise me, but referring to my query as recent (my highlighting, not theirs) is a bit rich! As for the bit about government taxes being clearly indicated in the price break-down, I've gone back over all the correspondence from them and no such break-down was ever provided.

Advertisement