Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underfloor Heating Temperature performance

Options
  • 04-11-2019 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Quick one if anyone could offer insight for comparison.

I have UFH throughout a well insulated, High rating, airtight with Heat recovery New build. I have nothing to compare this to so i dont know how well my house is performing in relation to UFH and heat loss so can anyone give a rough estimate on the following please:

1. How long is it taking/should it take for a room to heat one degree roughly?
    2. How long is it taking/should it take the room to drop one degree roughly?

*****Yes i know and understand there are multiple variables that will affect the above so it is impossible to compare really****

However, im wondering would it be normal to take over an hour for the stats to climb from 21 to 22 Degrees C for example? and once at 22 how long should it take to drop to 21 again?

Roughly speaking in general terms regardless of screed type (50mm Hemihydrate), weather conditions, size/type of insulation, room size,ceiling height, floor coverings, windows etc etc and all other factors that would influence this.

Thanks in advance for taking time out of your day to throw some advice at me.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Sounds like you're concerned about your rate of heat loss in your new build. Just remember that new builds and especially concrete new builds take quite a long time to dry out (can be 18 months) and will exhibit significant higher heat loss during the drying out period.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Robert Allen

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Sounds like you're concerned about your rate of heat loss in your new build. Just remember that new builds and especially concrete new builds take quite a long time to dry out (can be 18 months) and will exhibit significant higher heat loss during the drying out period.

Thanks MicktheMan,

Yeh im afraid the heat is not staying in the rooms for some reason but im not sure as i dont know what would be considered to be normal. At least it heats up quicker than it takes to loose the heat! Im keeping an eye on the electricity usage from the air to water system mainly and it seems to be high enough. The house is dry enough as the heating was installed one year ago. Im half afraid to turn up the stats as i dont know how much extra it will cost me to do this. Trial and error i guess. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Robert Allen

For anyone looking for the same info, here is a summary of temperature/heat loss from our kitchen :

*Kitchen/living area.
    * 35sqm approx
    * 6m high approx vaulted ceiling in 2 areas.
    * South, East & west facing windows.
    * new build, decent level of insulation.
    * outside temperature about 8 or 10 degrees.
    * room stat set at 21 degrees.
    * air to water kicks in at 20degrees and brings it up to 22 degrees then kicks off.

Info:
    @3.46pm temp was 20.8 degrees.
    @10.26pm temp was 20.5.

During all of this time the heating was not on at all. I was surprised by this to be honest. Id like if they were reading in the 21 region but it seems ok. Fairly certain the other rooms are not performing as well due to loads of other issues. Ill keep an eye and post if its of interested to anyone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Perhaps Compare heat loss on windy day v calm day.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CarPark2

Info:
    @3.46pm temp was 20.8 degrees.
    @10.26pm temp was 20.5.

During all of this time the heating was not on at all.
    If I understand you correctly, your kitchen held a more or less constant temperature over a period of almost 7 hours without any heating being on, and with an outside temp 12 degrees lower.
    I don’t know much about this area, but to a layman that sounds like a great performance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement