Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAMSAT 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

Hopefully if it's just one box, it shouldn't delay things. I'd imagine they factor in a timescale for delays? Who knows? It's ACER. All I know is that they tell you nothing. I nearly wish they lost my section 3 paper and I could get another go at it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

In one of the Facebook GAMSAT Group pages, the email the Liverpool students received that let them know about the scripts going missing, also mentioned that the re-sit would not affect the release of the results so I'd imagine it's all just business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 medgirl18

I emailed GAMSAT yesterday to enquire about the results date and the response today was 'mid-May, exact date not released to candidates'... so I imagine that means the whole Liverpool fiasco hasn't delayed anything. Going by other years, my guess would also be around May 18th as someone has said above already!

For future reference, Limerick is a really good spot to take the exam if anyone is curious. It was my first time so I've nothing to compare it to but the hall in UL was great, not too hot or cold and well organised overall. There was only about 90 of us there so it was very quiet and as 'relaxing' as it could have been given the circumstances. Personally I think I would have been more nervous in a massive room surrounded by loads of stressed people so if you'd rather somewhere small then I'd definitely recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

What's the benefit in not releasing the date?

It's annoying for us but I assume it's just to protect themselves if something goes wrong last minute. It avoids loads of angry emails if they have to change the date for whatever reason!

• Advertisement

I know but they've a fixed date for the leaving cert and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

I'm in first year doing a science degree (physics and chemistry (wouldn't have much knowledge of biology, but that's not what scares me)) and realised that I want to do medicine after I finish my degree. Looked at GAMSAT and was shocked to find that I'll have to write an essay. I don't know where to start studying for this exam, could anyone recommend anything I can do at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭e1994

Is anyone else getting nervous and/or potentially expecting results this week?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

e1994 wrote: »
    Yes - incredibly so!  I keep thinking that there is nothing that I can do now but that just doesn't work.  I guess the nervousness just proves how much we actually want it which is a good thing :)  Best of luck this week, both with the results and dealing with the wait :)

Limk88 wrote: »
    Yes - incredibly so!  I keep thinking that there is nothing that I can do now but that just doesn't work.  I guess the nervousness just proves how much we actually want it which is a good thing :)  Best of luck this week, both with the results and dealing with the wait :)

I've been fine all along but I think today it just hit me!! I will have a serious job to try and distract myself all week.. I can see myself randomly waking up during the night and checking my phone which is not good! best of luck with it too though :)

• Advertisement

Yesssss! It has always been the 2nd or 3rd Thursday of May so not long left now ahhhhh! Best of luck everyone!

Also does anyone know what time of the day the results are usually released? It is always at midnight or just random times?

Apparently it was 11 30 in aus last year, so about 2 30 am here.
    I hate that the days have varied so much over the last few years. Mostly Thursdays and Fridays with the odd Monday and Tuesday thrown in.

I've been fine all along but I think today it just hit me!! I will have a serious job to try and distract myself all week.. I can see myself randomly waking up during the night and checking my phone which is not good! best of luck with it too though :)

Knowing that on this side of the world we'll likely get them during the night is not helping me sleep!
    Im so nervous. I hate not knowing when they're out

It was Monday may 11th in 2015.

It was Monday may 11th in 2015

Oh my gosh no way, I had read somewhere that it was always a Thursday but that was obviously wrong. That's crazy that it could be as soon as tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭santino

Best of luck folks, whatever happens.

If the results are out this week they'll come a lot faster than I was expecting but that mighn't be a bad thing...to put us out of our misery ;)

I'm quite happy to stay in my oblivious, unknowing misery! God that exam was vile wasn't it? I'm still not over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Limk88

I'm quite happy to stay in my oblivious, unknowing misery! God that exam was vile wasn't it? I'm still not over it.
    I agree that it was horrible!  I am trying to remain optimistic and hoping that we will all be pleasantly surprised!!!  Woke up at 4am to check my mails this morning... it's going to be a long week I feel!

• Advertisement

Limk88 wrote: »
    I agree that it was horrible!  I am trying to remain optimistic and hoping that we will all be pleasantly surprised!!!  Woke up at 4am to check my mails this morning... it's going to be a long week I feel!

I agree the exam was awful.. I wish I had sat it in September, it seems to have been more in line with what we would have been expecting. I also woke up at five this am.. going to be a very slow week of hoping for a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Celestial12

The September exam was nothing like the practice papers. The exam is almost entirely reasoning based now. What you need to answer the question is in front of you. Some people may find that easier, but section III in particular was very time consuming. Heard other people describe it the same way.

Best of luck to those waiting on results! It's very difficult to know how you performed, so don't lose hope. Results will be out by Friday anyway. :)

Also guilty of checking my phone at 4am this morning!

Yep I totally agree that it was horrible and the science section was mainly manipulation of data rather than theory. I feel like the only benefit to having a science degree was that the concepts were familiar to you and didn't seem really foreign and scary, but prior knowledge really didn't help in answering them. I think the pKa question was the only exception.

But I guess we need to remember that our grades are still based on how everyone else did, and the fact that most people found it difficult means that we might all be pleasantly surprised where we land in the curve.

I could only do a week of prep and I was using this as my 'trial run' for September. Now I'm just so glad I didn't properly study because it would have been a total waste of time. It seems like an aptitude test now more than anything! I didn't buy the new practice test but people have said it wasn't realistic at all. I think it's pretty cheeky of Acer to bring out a brand new paper that doesn't at all reflect this new trend!

medgirl18 wrote: »
    Also guilty of checking my phone at 4am this morning!

Yep I totally agree that it was horrible and the science section was mainly manipulation of data rather than theory. I feel like the only benefit to having a science degree was that the concepts were familiar to you and didn't seem really foreign and scary, but prior knowledge really didn't help in answering them. I think the pKa question was the only exception.

But I guess we need to remember that our grades are still based on how everyone else did, and the fact that most people found it difficult means that we might all be pleasantly surprised where we land in the curve.

I could only do a week of prep and I was using this as my 'trial run' for September. Now I'm just so glad I didn't properly study because it would have been a total waste of time. It seems like an aptitude test now more than anything! I didn't buy the new practice test but people have said it wasn't realistic at all. I think it's pretty cheeky of Acer to bring out a brand new paper that doesn't at all reflect this new trend!

It really didn't. However, from what I remember, the September test was certainly more similar to the new pink paper than March was. September included concepts that we were at least familiar with like acids/bases chirality, stuff like that so at the very least, you weren't losing time trying to understand what they were asking you. Anyway, no point crying now. It's done! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭GrabTheCREAM

It really didn't. However, from what I remember, the September test was certainly more similar to the new pink paper than March was. September included concepts that we were at least familiar with like acids/bases chirality, stuff like that so at the very least, you weren't losing time trying to understand what they were asking you. Anyway, no point crying now. It's done! :(
    But chances are, since majority of people didn’t do too well on it, it will probably be graded with that in mind so a good score is still possible!

As well as this, the points increase seems less likely too this way

But chances are, since majority of people didn’t do too well on it, it will probably be graded with that in mind so a good score is still possible!

As well as this, the points increase seems less likely too this way

That's what I keep telling myself too! Here's hoping that we'll all be pleasantly surprised! I really hope they are out in the morning.

I was at the RCSI open day last month and the admissions officer was saying that GEM applications all over Ireland are down this year, I can't remember the exact figure but it was something like 8% I think. So gamsat scores might be less competitive due to this too!

That's what I keep telling myself too! Here's hoping that we'll all be pleasantly surprised! I really hope they are out in the morning.

I was at the RCSI open day last month and the admissions officer was saying that GEM applications all over Ireland are down this year, I can't remember the exact figure but it was something like 8% I think. So gamsat scores might be less competitive due to this too!

I already got 59 from the september exam so I'm not too worried but would like to get enough to stay in dublin anyway, thats mad though an almost 10% decrease in applicants.. :confused:

What did you think of RCSI anyway? I didnt get the chance to go to the open day but have been curious what its like

I already got 59 from the september exam so I'm not too worried but would like to get enough to stay in dublin anyway, thats mad though an almost 10% decrease in applicants.. :confused:

What did you think of RCSI anyway? I didnt get the chance to go to the open day but have been curious what its like

Oh wow, well done! I'd say there's a good chance you'll get anywhere you want with 59 but I get why you can't be fully confident either. Those borderline scores are the worst when waiting for offers!

The RCSI open day was brilliant and I came out of there buzzing to start medicine! It was so much better than I expected. The simulation rooms are fantastic - we got to deliver a 'baby' and practice intubation. We also visited the anatomy dissection room, which was unexpectedly very moving. We had small group Q&As with loads of the current students and it was just very informal and personal. There was also a mini case where a patient came in and we got to ask him questions. A few people I spoke to on the day had decided to move RCSI to their number 1 choice just from the impression they got on the day.

I'm still trying to decide between UCC and RCSI myself. I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself without even seeing my gamsat score though! If I've a chance of getting an offer I'm going to visit the UCC campus this month for a look around the medical school.

Is UCD your first choice then?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭futuremedic777

The Results came out at 2am on the 18th for me last year (GMT+1)

• Advertisement

Oh wow, well done! I'd say there's a good chance you'll get anywhere you want with 59 but I get why you can't be fully confident either. Those borderline scores are the worst when waiting for offers!

The RCSI open day was brilliant and I came out of there buzzing to start medicine! It was so much better than I expected. The simulation rooms are fantastic - we got to deliver a 'baby' and practice intubation. We also visited the anatomy dissection room, which was unexpectedly very moving. We had small group Q&As with loads of the current students and it was just very informal and personal. There was also a mini case where a patient came in and we got to ask him questions. A few people I spoke to on the day had decided to move RCSI to their number 1 choice just from the impression they got on the day.

I'm still trying to decide between UCC and RCSI myself. I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself without even seeing my gamsat score though! If I've a chance of getting an offer I'm going to visit the UCC campus this month for a look around the medical school.

Is UCD your first choice then?
    Thanks! I had missed 60 by so little.. if I had just got 1 more in any of the sections I would’ve been grand hahah oh well

That sounds great Actually I don’t think they did as much as that on the open day for medicine at ucd.. not sure

Yeah UCD would be my first choice, mainly bc I’ve just finished my undergrad here and I live 5 mins away hahah but going out of Dublin wouldn’t be a problem either, I figured as long as I’m doing medicine I’ll be fine tbh

Advertisement