Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farm liability

• 09-04-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,

not sure if it's the right category.
    i just got asked a Land/Farm owner to help him something minor on his farm. He is renting it to his brother who came towards us and asked me in a very aggressiv way to leave and started argueing.
    I wanted to ask: can he ask me to leave even that he is only renting the place? Who is responsible in case something happens? Landowner or he or I? Do I have to make an appointment to the man renting it if I want to come to the place even if I get asked by the owner?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Moved to main forum. Not really a farm safety topic. :)

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Farm owner would have main say there. Very odd situation anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mellerie

greysides wrote: »
    Moved to main forum. Not really a farm safety topic. :)

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Farm owner would have main say there. Very odd situation anyway

I was thinking that as well, my friend wasn't sure, but he thought he would have the last say as Land owner, too. But then he said he mightn't because his brother as a tenant is paying all the tax things on it? Public liability tax or something like it? Does that make the tenant has the say in it? Stupid Situation, but that's his brother...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Still owners property and can go over the tenant in this kind of an issue. Are you likely to be back? If not then I would try and put it out of your mind even though its annoyed you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm not so sure.
    As a landlord I must make an appt with my tenant before bringing a tradesman in to make repairs etc on the house, maybe it's different being a house.

But, since it's the tenants insurance and you were in uninvited working (even for no pay) it is putting a liability on his insurance without him having any say.

My advice is steer well clear, family disputes are notoriously messy and I'd be making dam sure before going back that the tenant is aware if you are returning.

Also in your case I'd be a bit mad after being brought into the middle of their argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

mellerie wrote: »
    I was thinking that as well, my friend wasn't sure, but he thought he would have the last say as Land owner, too. But then he said he mightn't because his brother as a tenant is paying all the tax things on it? Public liability tax or something like it? Does that make the tenant has the say in it? Stupid Situation, but that's his brother...

This may be an issue . In the case of renting a house the owner takes out the public liability and the tenant insures the contents. I would think that those that rent or lease there land should take on PL on it

1. In case tenant takes out no PL or has not got it insured properly
    2. If the tenant has an accident he is not covered by his own PL so could sue owner

Owner would not have to insure stock or produce only land and buildings. The only way around this is for tenant to have owner mentioned on his policy and indemified

Slava Ukrainii

Are you likely to be back? If not then I would try and put it out of your mind even though its annoyed you.[/quote]

i will, i am living in a house next to the farm and i'm in close contact with the owner & his parents. so i will help him a good few more times. i was working for the tenant before and i quit because of his consent, therefore his behaviour i suppose.

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm not so sure.
    As a landlord I must make an appt with my tenant before bringing a tradesman in to make repairs etc on the house, maybe it's different being a house.

But, since it's the tenants insurance and you were in uninvited working (even for no pay) it is putting a liability on his insurance without him having any say.

My advice is steer well clear, family disputes are notoriously messy and I'd be making dam sure before going back that the tenant is aware if you are returning.

Also in your case I'd be a bit mad after being brought into the middle of their argument.

i know they are, i was working there 7 years...
    so do you think it would be ok then if i just tell him when i would be there? it's not that i am walking around the place myself, i was with the owner because he asked me to help him.

Advertisement