Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-02-2014, 15:26   #1
long_b

USB only 30W speakers - 20 GBP

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundScience...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Quote:
Update June 2011: Rated 5/5 by the experts at What HiFi?: Compact clever and with a big detailed sound all without batteries or a mains adaptor SoundScience QSB - 30W USB Desktop Speakers with NXT DyadUSB Technology SoundScience worked hard at finding you the right technology and components to make the perfect compact laptop powered audio system. The results are revolutionary! That's the only way to describe these dinky speakers. They will redefine your desktop audio experience. Look across the market and you will see several options for listening to your music from your laptop but it has to be said that none do it quite like your SoundScience QSB speakers. With the problem for most portable speaker systems being lack of power SoundScience have cleverly adopted the DyadUSB package from NXT (HiWave). What is NXT DyadUSB Technology? The DyadUSB is revolutionary piece of kit that enables a 15W per channel audio burst all from only 2.5W of electrical power! This unique technology has been made by the best for the best. SoundScience has cleverly integrated this into an everyday speaker system that will provide up to 30W of sound output power! Magnificent! The speakers are super small and compact (8.5 x 8.5 x 8.5 cm). They feature a stunning design - metal grills and a smooth metallic exterior with rubber guides to hold their place when delivering you some first class audio. Everything in the package gives that premium feeling down to the sleek rubberised travel case and audiophile-grade magnet cable with RCA connectors for a richer audio experience. So they look the part do they sound the part? They get a great big AMP3 thumbs up! They won't fill huge rooms but are more than capable of producing an sound far greater than what you expect from such small desktop speakers. They certainly managed to create quite the impact in the AMP3 office. When you pick up the QSB USB Speakers and plug them in you can expect rich bass crisp and detailed highs and astonishingly good stereo.

NB Only works with PC via USB - no 3.5mm audio jack.

Disadvantages
PC only
Seems to need to be plugged in again after PC hibernates

Pros
Small form factor
Big sound

Has good reviews - fair belt out of them !
http://www.scotsman.com/news/gadget-...kers-1-1648815

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...-/Product.html

Last edited by long_b; 08-02-2014 at 20:46.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2014, 19:09   #2
Skill Magill

Amazon link
Thanks from:
11-02-2014, 12:48   #3
gustafo

gone down to 15.99 GBP

good deal id say
11-02-2014, 16:21   #4
luketitz

Looks alright, thanks OP!
11-02-2014, 16:30   #5
long_b

Should say, they don't have a volume control on them.
You have to control the sound from the PC
Advertisement
11-02-2014, 16:31   #6
adr_sullivan

does anyone know if you need to have a soundcard installed on the pc.

there is no soundcard on the pc i use and these seem to be about the same price as having a sound card installed.

thanks
11-02-2014, 16:53   #7
MrStuffins

Just grabbed these as I watch Netflix in the missus' house and the sound is atrocious! Thanks OP!
11-02-2014, 16:56   #8
Sappy404

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr_sullivan View Post
does anyone know if you need to have a soundcard installed on the pc.

there is no soundcard on the pc i use and these seem to be about the same price as having a sound card installed.

thanks
No soundcard needed AFAIK. No headphone jack though. Dealbreaker for me I'm afraid.
11-02-2014, 16:59   #9
Sappy404

Buy them direct from amp3.co.uk and you can use code take10 for 10% off.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2014, 21:45   #10
long_b

These work fine with Linux out of the box (Xubuntu anyways).
11-02-2014, 22:03   #11
fuse

After watching this promo video, I'm having second thoughts about buying them! You'd think she'd give them a blast at least!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnyvL8XwNY
12-02-2014, 00:04   #12
ED E

How does 2.5W give 30W? Power is power? Do they have a magical power source buried deep inside them?
12-02-2014, 02:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
How does 2.5W give 30W? Power is power? Do they have a magical power source buried deep inside them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_power

Peak power or 'burst power' as the company that produces the drivers and chips calls it. It contains some pretty clever circuitry that can boost the voltage to over 30V for the peaks in the music. But realistically it 2w continuous. Basically its the reference design from http://www.tectonicelements.com/ and almost identical to the 5 times the price ufi ucubes.

Amazing sound for a tiny usb powered plastic box yes, amazing sound no. Great for carting around in a laptop bag.

"audiophile-grade magnet cable" it says audiphile and magnet it must be good
13-02-2014, 19:42   #14
Knockieranlady

Arrived today, have to say I'm very disappointed with sound from them from my new mac book pro, not much better than mac speakers, if you haven't bought them already, D'ONT BUY!
Thanks from:
14-02-2014, 19:31   #15
gustafo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockieranlady View Post
Arrived today, have to say I'm very disappointed with sound from them from my new mac book pro, not much better than mac speakers, if you haven't bought them already, D'ONT BUY!
I got the speakers today I think the sound out of them is great, for the price can't go wrong

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion