Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-07-2007, 16:30   #76
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by carefree
we have gated access from the main road between us and a neighbour my wife's family may try and build behind us in the future so we need to leave an access road -currently 14 ft. anyone know what the planners require and whether it needs to be splayed?
If they deem the need for a full service road then you are looking at 5.00m wide. Depending on the extent of existing and potential future development the least that will be require will probably be pull-in bays at 70 - 90 metre intervals.

You could well be asked to splay the entrance but more importantly ensure you can achieve and maintain adequate vision lines.

Some of these issues will vary from County to County and from engineer to engineer. As with a lot of these queries a quick call to the planning office and/or the local roads engineer should get you sorted as indeed will your architect.
muffler is offline  
Advertisement
15-07-2007, 16:33   #77
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas
A developer is planning to build apartments next door to my dormer bungalow in village of about 1000 houses. The building will be a three-storey structure. There will be a balcony directly opposite the main window of my bedroom at a distance of 22m from the gable. I know that 22m is often regarded as a suitable distance to avoid overlooking when windows are directly oppposite. However in this case the balcony is three metres higher than the window and I fear that it will afford a vantage point into the bedroom for someone on the balcony. Are you aware of any rules or precedents in planning law/practice that might cover this case.
22 metres would be adequate separating distance to normally avoid overlooking. However you could argue about the height of the balcony.

On a personal note I don't involve myself in objections or appeals so the best advice I can give you is to engage a planning consultant.
muffler is offline  
22-07-2007, 13:05   #78
The_Bullman
Registered User
 
The_Bullman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,950
Send a message via ICQ to The_Bullman Send a message via MSN to The_Bullman Send a message via Skype™ to The_Bullman
I have received a request for FI and I've a few questions about it.

Firstly is it normal for the planner to ask for "letter from the local clergy stating the address of the family home and the number of years the applicant has lived in the area"

I also have to give a letter from the local school principal, and a copy of my birth cert.

Do I have to go down the the local priest to get this? Any other options?

My other question revolves around this
Quote:
The applicant is requested to submit the land registry certificates and folio maps for the entire family land holding from which this site has been taken. Any sites disposed off from the holding should be indicated.( 2 copies).

Please note that when the land registry certs and folio maps for the holding are submitted, this Planning Authority may consider and alternative site nearer the public road to be more appropriate for the development.
Do they have the power to over-rule my location of a site? Can they they force me into choosing a different one?

Would it make a difference if the site was in my name rather than my family? Would that stop them from looking at other possible sites?
The_Bullman is offline  
22-07-2007, 13:35   #79
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,410
Your query is centred around the local needs/indigenous issues. This varies from county to county and really and truly you would either need to read through the housing policies contained the county development plan or be guided by your architect/agent.

Requesting info from the local clergy would be normal enough. However I dont think that you would be restricted to the local clergy. A peace commissioner, solicitor, county councillor etc may be able to give you the info requested but again it will be stated in the devp. plan as to who can provide this info.

In relation to the location of the site they can state where on the overall lands that you can build. For example they may not be happy with your present site because of visual amenities issues, traffic problems, ribbon devp. etc etc and they would refuse the permission but would attach a rider stating that an application for a site located on a certain part of the overall lands would be more favourably considered.

From your post it appears that the land is not registered in your name and it would be pointless to do so now as they would see it as an attempt to circumvent policies they may have.

Best advice I can give you is to enquire as to which of the local councillors has the best "working relationship" with the planning dept and go to him/her and ask them to assist with your application.

Good luck with it.
muffler is offline  
27-08-2007, 20:47   #80
superbluedub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 106
restrictions on planning permission

hi i bought a house with a restriction on the planning permission stating that house must not be used as a holiday home.however i could not get decent employment in the area so could not move my family into our new house on a permanent basis.can anyone please tell me what will happen with my house as im not able to comply with the restriction.any help/info would be very grateful.
superbluedub is offline  
Advertisement
28-08-2007, 00:45   #81
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbluedub
hi i bought a house with a restriction on the planning permission stating that house must not be used as a holiday home.however i could not get decent employment in the area so could not move my family into our new house on a permanent basis.can anyone please tell me what will happen with my house as im not able to comply with the restriction.any help/info would be very grateful.
If you have already bought it Im sure your solicitor would have been aware of the condition and unless he has advised you to the contrary I cant see you having any problem with it. In saying that the details you give are sketchy.

When you say that you "could not move my family into our new house on a permanent basis" do you mean that they are there just occasionally (as in a little holiday )
muffler is offline  
16-09-2007, 17:15   #82
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Adding driveway and removing doorway???

Perhaps someone on boards.ie has had some experience of this and can offer some advice.

My wife and I are currently making some amends to our home/property.

We want to (1) add a driveway to the side of our front garden and (2) remove our front door/entrance (we use the side entrance and back door as the main entrance/exit).

(1) The Department of the Environment and Local Government's leaflet Doing Work around the House – The Planning Issues (PL5) states:

"Car parking spaces, hard surfacing, garden paths, garden ponds and patios etc. are exempt (from planning permission) once they are not more than 1 metre above or below existing ground level. There are no other limitations to the rear of the house but no more than 2 car parking spaces to the side or front of the house are exempt."

OK, so it seems we don't need planning permission for our new driveway, but what about breaking our front garden wall and lowering the footpath? Do we need to obtain some form of permission to do this?

(2) Similarly, do we require some form of permission to remove (brick up) our front doorway/entrance? Removing an entrance wouldn't seem to require planning permission as we are not extending the property in any way. Perhaps I am missing something and some form of permission IS required, any/all advice would be greatly appreciated. M-E-P 16.09.07
Miles-e-piles is offline  
16-09-2007, 20:03   #83
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles-e-piles
Perhaps someone on boards.ie has had some experience of this and can offer some advice.

My wife and I are currently making some amends to our home/property.

We want to (1) add a driveway to the side of our front garden and (2) remove our front door/entrance (we use the side entrance and back door as the main entrance/exit).

(1) The Department of the Environment and Local Government's leaflet Doing Work around the House – The Planning Issues (PL5) states:

"Car parking spaces, hard surfacing, garden paths, garden ponds and patios etc. are exempt (from planning permission) once they are not more than 1 metre above or below existing ground level. There are no other limitations to the rear of the house but no more than 2 car parking spaces to the side or front of the house are exempt."

OK, so it seems we don't need planning permission for our new driveway, but what about breaking our front garden wall and lowering the footpath? Do we need to obtain some form of permission to do this?

(2) Similarly, do we require some form of permission to remove (brick up) our front doorway/entrance? Removing an entrance wouldn't seem to require planning permission as we are not extending the property in any way. Perhaps I am missing something and some form of permission IS required, any/all advice would be greatly appreciated. M-E-P 16.09.07
You will need council approval to put in the new pathway onto the road and AFAIK, they will do it for you and bill you [ insurance reasons ]

I would imagine that they may object to closing off the front door as u are changing the streetscape: from your own perpective are u happy that

1 u are not creating a potential fire hazard

2 diminishing the value of the property as the new access might not suit a new owner

Last edited by ircoha; 17-09-2007 at 14:51. Reason: spellings
ircoha is offline  
16-09-2007, 21:25   #84
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,410
As irocha said you will need permission for the new drive/entrance/dishing.

By closing the door ope you are altering the external front elevation of the house and thus you need permission. You shouldn't have any difficulty in getting permission for this and the whole thing can be done with the same application.
muffler is offline  
Advertisement
17-09-2007, 15:43   #85
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Thanks Muffler

Thanks Muffler,
By any chance do you know, is it the standard (extensive) planning permission form that needs to be completed (and returned) in respect of these minor amendments or is there a more appropriate form?

Most of the information requested on the standard planning permisssion form relates to extending a property and seems irrelevant to the type of amends we are planning. Thanks again, M-E-P 17.09
Miles-e-piles is offline  
17-09-2007, 15:47   #86
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles-e-piles
Thanks Muffler,
By any chance do you know, is it the standard (extensive) planning permission form that needs to be completed (and returned) in respect of these minor amendments or is there a more appropriate form?

Most of the information requested on the standard planning permisssion form relates to extending a property and seems irrelevant to the type of amends we are planning. Thanks again, M-E-P 17.09
Its the same form for every type of planning application - just score through the sections that dont apply to you or your application.
muffler is offline  
30-09-2007, 22:55   #87
dcom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 79
Changing from a hip roof to a gable end??????

We currently have planning permission for a 3800 sq ft dormer bunglow in kildare and we were wondering if anybody knows how difficult it would be to get permission to change a hip roof to a gable end wall its at the back of the house??
I know that you can make small changes at the back of a house without affecting your planning but this is probably considered a major change!
dcom is offline  
30-09-2007, 23:04   #88
muffler
Moderator
 
muffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcom
We currently have planning permission for a 3800 sq ft dormer bunglow in kildare and we were wondering if anybody knows how difficult it would be to get permission to change a hip roof to a gable end wall its at the back of the house??
I know that you can make small changes at the back of a house without affecting your planning but this is probably considered a major change!
Strictly speaking you cant change anything in a new build, front back or side, without getting consent. I wouldnt see a problem with changing from a hip to a gable and in fact the planners would prefer gabled ended roofs. However your best bet is to submit it to them as a "minor amendment" It only involves giving them a drawing showing what you propose to amend & how it will look upon completion. Do up a covering letter and pay a fee. The fee for that in Donegal is €63 but it may vary so you would better ringing them first and asking. You should be able to change a copy of the plan yourself. A bit of tippex to take out the hip roof and a couple of straight lines to show the gables will get you sorted.
muffler is offline  
01-10-2007, 14:45   #89
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10
Is it just me?

Many thanks to everyone who helped me with my queries (Adding driveway and removing doorway???).

Is it just me or are the Planning Permission application forms (I downloaded mine from the DLRCOCO website) very poorly designed?

I just wasted a couple of hours trying to complete a PP application in respect of the minor amends I outlined in my original query/post above.

I got so frustrated/confused by the whole affair that I had to ask my wife to contact the Planning Department in DLRCOCO for almost step-by-step assistance in completing the application form.

I'm not particularly stupid, but I found the forms very intimidating and unclear to the general user (home owner). M-E-P, 01.10.07
Miles-e-piles is offline  
01-10-2007, 21:39   #90
dcom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 79
Thanks Muffler.
I will ring Kildare Co Co tomorrow.
dcom is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet