Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Document deciphering

Options
  • 09-05-2016 8:38pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Since the other thread is marked NLI, I did not want to add this there as it's from a passenger list. Mods feel free to move it if you like.

This is from a passenger list of outgoing passengers from Queenstown in the 1890s. I am wondering what the beady-eyed among us think the occupation opposite many of the men is? Gul...?

picture.php?albumid=2386&pictureid=15411

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hmmm. Looking at it myself again here.

Based on the Agr....entry, perhaps it is 'Gnl Wr.'? General worker? The same man would be listed as 'Labourer' on most other sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

At first glance, the first thing that popped into my head was 'general' something. I was thinking it might have been connected with the word below, so 'general servant' but I think your second post is on the ball. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

General Labourer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

tabbey wrote: »
    General Labourer

+1 It's a regularly seen occupation description.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ah, it's 'Lr'. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I read it as 'Gnl lbr'. That is the most common description, and in my experience tends to be urban, whereas rural labourers are 'Farm lbr' or sometimes 'Farm wkr' or 'Agric lbr' . No hard & fast rule though.

One that baffled me for a long time was a loopy 'O' with a snake running out of it followed by 'Lbr'. I later got a census record (19th c Glasgow) and discovered that he was a 'Quay labourer', (+/- a docker). Even knowing that it was hard to to make Quay fit!

Advertisement