Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Records of children born out of wedlock 1912 - 1940

• 05-01-2010 7:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I've been putting my Dads family tree togather and thanks to the Census of 1911 I found some excellent information. The thing is I'm looking for information between 1911 - 1940. There has been a rumour in my Dads family that my Grandmother (Dads mother) had a child out of wedlock with a man before she met and married my Grandfather (Dads father). I would like to find out if this rumour is true or not. If my Dad has an older half sibling I would like to find out what happened to them whether they died, were adopted, went to an industrial school, still living etc. Where would I find out this type of information?

My Grandmother (Dads mother) herself was also born out of wed lock as well and I would like to try and find out who her father was. I know his 2nd name, he was from N.I and went to WW1. The last record of my Great-Grandmother is in the 1911 Census when she was 18. So all the information I'm looking for happened between 1911 - 1940. The family all lived in Dublin City Centre.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Jane86,

This is going to be very hard to find. These 2 children could have been registered under their mother's maiden name or their father's. They may not have been born in Dublin or even Ireland. The LDS index of births will give the mother's maiden name after 1922 but only for the Republic, and it has no records for Northern Ireland after partition. Do you have any idea what the fathers' names were? Start with the index and narrow down a list of possible children with her surname in the period between 1911 and whenever she married. The only way to know for sure is to order certs, and there could be a lot of possibilities, unless she had an uncommon surname. Read the sticky at the top of the forum to see how to search and order certs.

The 1926 census won't be available until 01/01/2027 and there is no intervening census for Ireland. A girl of 18 upwards is only likely to generate a marriage or birth record during that period (i.e. she probably didn't have her own business, to be registered in Thom's Directory, or do land deals, etc).

Are there any older members of your family still alive who might have information? What about family papers? Is there any particular affiliation to a religious order, who may have assisted with the child?

Good luck,
    Pinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Thanks Pinky!

I know that my Grandmother was named under her mothers maiden name. She was born in Dublin. I know her fathers 2nd name, he was suppose to be from N.I and went to fight in WW1 and never returned. Would there be any records of Irish men who went to WW1?

As for my Dads half sibling (a brother supposedly) I'm sure he was born in Dublin. I know nothing about the father. My Dad found out about it from his mothers aunt who told him just before she died. Unfortunately, he didn't ask her any questions about it!

My Dad would be the oldest living person out of his family. What sort of family papers should I go looking for? The family was Roman Catholic and there was a Church in Dublin City centre my Grandmother went to every day but that's all I know she had to do with the church.

That's such a shame about the 1926 census. 2027 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DayDreamer

Jane I've got the exact same problem. My grandfather was born in 1922 and never knew his father, he was raised with his mother and grandparents in the city centre. I imagine that was really unusual at the time. His birth cert states his grandfather was his dad and his mother used her mother's maiden name! His mother seemed to go by several different names so its really confusing. I've no idea what to do next. Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

jane86 wrote: »
    Thanks Pinky!

Would there be any records of Irish men who went to WW1?

Commonwealth War Graves website should list all those killed in WW1 who fought as part of the British forces. This is free to search.

http://www.cwgc.org/

Ancestry has medal cards, some pension records, some service records and "Ireland's Casualties of WW1". This is a subscription service but there's usually a free 14 day trial available

http://www.ancestry.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, some records on when he enrolled in the army for WW! and maybe a medal card shoudl be there (on ancestry). I hope he has an uncommon name, which would aid your search. As said, sign up for the 14 day free trial and make sure to cancel well on time. You should get lucky :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

Cheers for the links!

I have looked up http://www.cwgc.org/ so far. Amazing information on it! It would of course help if I knew his first name or even initial. Him being from N.I narrowed it down a bit. But I think my main goal now is to try and get my Grandmothers birth cert if possible and see if he's on and find out his name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 angleseylad

I have been trying to research my father's family tree, so far with no luck. He was born out of wedlock in Tramore, Ireland in May 1925. His name was Walter Patrick Doyle and he was brought up by an old aunt of the family. His mother, reportedly, went on to marry the president of the bank of Ireland. My father joined the army as a boy soldier at 14. I remember going back with him to Tramore at 16, to a big house with gated pillars (or it may have been Waterford). I am now 60 so memory is a bit unclear. Any help would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I have been trying to research my father's family tree, so far with no luck. He was born out of wedlock in Tramore, Ireland in May 1925. His name was Walter Patrick Doyle and he was brought up by an old aunt of the family. His mother, reportedly, went on to marry the president of the bank of Ireland. My father joined the army as a boy soldier at 14. I remember going back with him to Tramore at 16, to a big house with gated pillars (or it may have been Waterford). I am now 60 so memory is a bit unclear. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ill ask around sure for ya. Im in waterford but sure tramore is only a few minutes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 angleseylad

I'm so grateful for your help. I am rather vague on details - an uncle of his - Sean Doyle was high up in the army as well. It is very difficult doing this research as he was born out of wedlock, but brought up in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gabrielle purcell

walter doyle joined the army as a very young boy and made it his career. He would have been my cousin but I never met him as contact was lost with him in the 6o's or 70's. His mother, Patricia Doyle, emigrated to Liverpool, and went to Hereford during the Blitz. She married a Mr. Paine and there were four daughters, all of which I was fortunate enough to meet. The family now has extended to many others. However, people often ask about Wally, and would love to have news of him even if it is too late to hear from him.
    There are still people who remember Wally, though not so many now. My sisters especially remember his kindness when they came to England first, he visited them regularly to make sure they were all right.
    Hope this is of help. If there is anything else I can tell you, let me know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement