Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing Ancestor

Options
  • 24-03-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I can find somebody on a 1911 census, but they are missing from the 1901, any ways to find if they were abroad for the 1901?

In particular before I start paying to check the English census for that year, which has 3 results.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Is it possible they had joined up? I had the same issue with my GGFather & it turns out he was in the Boer War at the time. If this is case your ancestor won't appear on the UK census returns either, there is a databse of medals awarded on ancestry and as far as I know there's a victorian era searchable military database on findmypast but I have never used it.

Good luck

JD

PS If you like PM me the details & I can look at the 3 possible census returns for you - I have access to ancestry databases for Ireland & Uk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

tba wrote: »
    I can find somebody on a 1911 census, but they are missing from the 1901, any ways to find if they were abroad for the 1901?

In particular before I start paying to check the English census for that year, which has 3 results.

The most likely thing is mistranscription on the earlier census. If you want to post the link, we can make suggestions. Give as much details as you have about the person. As Riri says, if it's a man, the army is possible. Also, if he's in a barracks, prison, hospital or workhouse, s/he might be listed with only initials.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

try searching just by the persons name and approx age if you can, i found my ggGrandad that way, he was listed under his second name for some reason, in other words instead of being say John James Murphy, hes was listed as James Murphy, only realised it was him when i noticed the head of household and other children and ages matched up

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Also check the townland where they were living in 1911.

I couldn't find my grandfather's family in 1901 until I did that and found that they had been transcribed wrongly.

The correct name begins with B but they were transcribed as starting with D in 1901. e.g similar to Drennan instead of Brennan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes if you can't find them then it's likely they are in the missing batch this occurs quite frequently I can find my g granny in 1911 but not 1901

• Advertisement
Advertisement