Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Problem with Zyxel Router or connection (Eircom)

Options
  • 16-02-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I've been with Eircom for years and have been getting by on their old Netopia 3347W wireless router. It had a habit of resetting itself though which would obviously pose a problem with the encryption and forwarded ports. Perfect connection though.

My friend got Eircom last week and they kindly sent him 2 Zyxel routers. He offered one to me and I gladly accepted what I thought would be an upgrade in hardware.

Ever since installing the router though, I've been plagued with regular timeouts. I thought it might have been a DNS problem, so I switched to OpenDNS servers but alas the problem persisted. The router reports that the connection is up and running.

Is the Netopia router better at making the most out of line quality?

I've included my line stats below:

noise margin downstream: 19 db
    output power upstream: 1 db
    attenuation downstream: 28 db

noise margin upstream: 18 db
    output power downstream: 19 db
    attenuation upstream: 16 db

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rushdie

Having the same problem here, setup the modem this morning worked fine for the first hour or two since then have not been able to connect to the internet for more than two or three minutes before the connection drops, taught it may have been the DNS as I was using OpenDNS with the 3347wg modem and it was perfect and was leaving the DNS on eircom till they upgrade the line to the 24mb package from 3mb but as you said that doesn't seem to be the problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've been with Eircom for years and have been getting by on their old Netopia 3347W wireless router. It had a habit of resetting itself though which would obviously pose a problem with the encryption and forwarded ports. Perfect connection though.

My friend got Eircom last week and they kindly sent him 2 Zyxel routers. He offered one to me and I gladly accepted what I thought would be an upgrade in hardware.

Ever since installing the router though, I've been plagued with regular timeouts. I thought it might have been a DNS problem, so I switched to OpenDNS servers but alas the problem persisted. The router reports that the connection is up and running.

Is the Netopia router better at making the most out of line quality?

I've included my line stats below:

noise margin downstream: 19 db
    output power upstream: 1 db
    attenuation downstream: 28 db

noise margin upstream: 18 db
    output power downstream: 19 db
    attenuation upstream: 16 db

With those stats you shouldnt have a problem. Have you tried just having the modem connected everything else unplugged? Have you tried another filter?

Whats your internal wiring like?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

this modem is plagued with problems. Eircom knows about it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820986

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think I might bite the bullet and switch back to the Netopia. It seems to be only web traffic that's affected as both Xbox Live and uTorrent continue to operate fine whenever I'm experiencing the web issues. However, I suppose it's worth mentioning that if uTorrent is trying to update a tracker when the connection is throwing a wobbly, it times out but continues to download. Must just be a problem with the http:// service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

iknorr wrote: »
    this modem is plagued with problems. Eircom knows about it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820986

Been using this router now for a long while (couple of months, the current uptime is 5ish weeks) and haven't had any problems (save self inflicted ones). Though my ISP is Vodafone (grrr) so not sure if that would make a difference or not.

I know in the beginning I was having connection drop problems but changing my connection settings to the ones specified by Vodafone sorted that out.

• Advertisement

Been using this router now for a long while (couple of months, the current uptime is 5ish weeks) and haven't had any problems (save self inflicted ones). Though my ISP is Vodafone (grrr) so not sure if that would make a difference or not.

I know in the beginning I was having connection drop problems but changing my connection settings to the ones specified by Vodafone sorted that out.

have you tried port forwarding or enabling upnp or any other "advanced" features? Which firmware version do u have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I've port forwarding enabled, I've forwarded ports for certain applications such as Ultra VNC.

uPNP is also enabled and I've been sucessfully using Opera Unite which is dependant upon the availability of uPNP.

The only thing I haven't been able to get working properly is the dyndns service which doesn't seem to update to the server whenever the ip changes.

Not sure which firmware I'm using, for some reason I think it's v3.something but I'll have a look when I get home.

I've port forwarding enabled, I've forwarded ports for certain applications such as Ultra VNC.

uPNP is also enabled and I've been sucessfully using Opera Unite which is dependant upon the availability of uPNP.

The only thing I haven't been able to get working properly is the dyndns service which doesn't seem to update to the server whenever the ip changes.

Not sure which firmware I'm using, for some reason I think it's v3.something but I'll have a look when I get home.

3.7 is the lastest version. it came with my modem.

Strange that ur port forwarding is working and mine isnt - until i messed with the firmware.
    upnp just doesnt work for me.

Im very interested in ur firmware version now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I thought it was just me!!

I have this router 2 weeks now, and its an absolute nightmare!!:mad::mad:
    I thought it might just be exchange overload as i have serious packet loss, pages not loading, all day long, not just during peak hours.
    My mum lives just down the road and is likely on the same exchange, and has the older Netopia router, and she has no problems at all.
    My connection drops close to every 15mins!

Is it worth just scrapping it and buying a different router?

Suggestions for which one would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cpu.dude

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I thought it was just me!!

I have this router 2 weeks now, and its an absolute nightmare!!:mad::mad:
    I thought it might just be exchange overload as i have serious packet loss, pages not loading, all day long, not just during peak hours.
    My mum lives just down the road and is likely on the same exchange, and has the older Netopia router, and she has no problems at all.
    My connection drops close to every 15mins!

Is it worth just scrapping it and buying a different router?

Suggestions for which one would be great.
    I believe the router will operate better without Eircom's custom Firmware. Here's the link to the latest Zyxel P660HW-T1 v3 Firmware:

http://www.zyxel.com/web/support_download_list.php?indexflag=20040906164737&ModelIndexflags=0,420041221102511,420041221102520,420050117110858,420050117110916,420050117110934,420050831093216,420050831095441,420060420160946,420060420161739,420060816160116,420080815092146,420090427144843 (it's the 3.70(BJZ.2)C0 08-14-2009)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, how would i go about installing that firmware?! :o

Thanks for that, how would i go about installing that firmware?! :o
    Instructions should be in a PDF in the ZIP file that you download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I have this exact same modem with perlico-in a way im kinda happy people are sharing my pain :pac: Im in the process of trying to get my contract canceled due in part of this shoddy modem.

cpu.dude wrote: »
    Instructions should be in a PDF in the ZIP file that you download.

Think i figured it out. ;)

My current firmware is V3.70(BOE.1)D0 | 11/19/2009, would installing the other one be a backward step?! :confused:
    Is the eircom custom one not the most up to date?

Switched back to my ageing Netopia and everything is fine once again. Frustrating few days though.

Think i figured it out. ;)

My current firmware is V3.70(BOE.1)D0 | 11/19/2009, would installing the other one be a backward step?! :confused:
    Is the eircom custom one not the most up to date?
    No because it's the Eircom Firmware that is problematic, you want to be on Zyxel's official latest version which will have all the same features, just no Eircom look.

hmmm i didnt think of reverting or that it was a custom eircom rom.

I know that eircom have a pre release beta they are working on, that solves some problems but not all.

No because it's the Eircom Firmware that is problematic, you want to be on Zyxel's official latest version which will have all the same features, just no Eircom look.
    My router kept rejecting the new (well, old) firmware via both WiFi and Ethernet. Was the final nail in the coffin.

Mine wont accept the firmware either. :(

Gonna call Eircom and get them to send me a Netopia, or take their piece of crap back and cancel my contract.

I was at my sisters house today, about half a mile from mine, next estate over, she has 3mg broadband and the netopia router, no drops, no disconnections, and very fast, my 7mg is a disgrace in comparison! :mad:

AdMMM wrote: »
    My router kept rejecting the new (well, old) firmware via both WiFi and Ethernet. Was the final nail in the coffin.
    Strange, the Netopias weren't locked up like that - I setup a Zyxel last night and changed the config a bit, going to test it for a while and report back (currently on 7.1MB / 384K Gaming profile with Eircom) and changing from a Voyager to this, dropped my Noise Margin a small bit. More testing :)

• Advertisement

Strange, the Netopias weren't locked up like that - I setup a Zyxel last night and changed the config a bit, going to test it for a while and report back (currently on 7.1MB / 384K Gaming profile with Eircom) and changing from a Voyager to this, dropped my Noise Margin a small bit. More testing :)

whats this gaming profile you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

there is none, eircom just sell the 7 mb package as suitable for gaming

Eircom's 7.1MB down and 384K up.

Basically the took the normal high interleaved 7616 / 672 kbps profile and reduced the upload to 384 kbps (high interleaving) and the download to 7124 kbps (low interleaving). This way, you get excellent ping times on the download whilst still having a good transfer rate (which is very nice because the 7.6MB profile can lag a bit) and I'd rather have 7MB with low pings than 7.6MB with high pings.

Eircom's 7.1MB down and 384K up.

Basically the took the normal high interleaved 7616 / 672 kbps profile and reduced the upload to 384 kbps (high interleaving) and the download to 7124 kbps (low interleaving). This way, you get excellent ping times on the download whilst still having a good transfer rate (which is very nice because the 7.6MB profile can lag a bit) and I'd rather have 7MB with low pings than 7.6MB with high pings.

thats what im on at the moment. Its still as slow as f**k in the evenings.

guil wrote: »
    there is none, eircom just sell the 7 mb package as suitable for gaming
    Not true, there are these profiles:

1M_128K_RL
    2M_256K_RL
    3M_384K_RL
    3M_384K_RH
    3M_384K_RLL
    4M_384K_RH
    4M_384K_RLL
    5M_512K_RH
    5M_512K_RLL
    6M_512K_RH
    6M_512K_RLL
    7.1M_384K_RHL
    7.6M_672K_RH
    7.6M_672K_RLL
    8.1M_800K_RLL

where are u getting this info? whats the rhl about?

where are u getting this info? whats the rhl about?
    A friend of mine works for my ISP and I wanted to know about all the profiles that I can get on my line, RHL mean it's high and low interleaving, low on the download and high on the upload.

hmmm...interesting. :cool: and does this friend know whats going on with the really poor downloads lately. Does he know whats causing it and when it willl be fixed?
    ( not just the upgrades to 24mb as other people are posting)

hmmm...interesting. :cool: and does this friend know whats going on with the really poor downloads lately. Does he know whats causing it and when it willl be fixed?
    ( not just the upgrades to 24mb as other people are posting)
    Not too sure, haven't experienced it myself so haven't asked to be honest.

• Advertisement

Not too sure, haven't experienced it myself so haven't asked to be honest.

can u ask him if i say pretty please?

Advertisement