Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saying "I raise to..." at live table

• 17-11-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41 jh385

Newbie question here.

Playing a live tournament. Player before me bets 1,250 - I want to raise the total bet to 3,000.

So I announce "I raise to 3,000" and put 3,000 on the table.

The dealer says "No, you said 'I raise 3,000'" and took another 1,250 from my stack and added it to my 3,000 making a total of 4,250. (At the same time I'm telling him I said 'I raise TO 3,000')

For future reference, should I say "I raise 1,750" and then put down my 3,000 in total. Or is there some easier way of doing this? (Like, just putting down 3,000 without saying anything and letting the dealer deduce that I was raising the bet to 3,000 total) ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would normally say something like raise, 3000 in total or to 3000. Or just say raise and put out the exact amount. I think the dealer was making a fuss over nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jh385

Yeah, thanks for that - That's what I thought.

It threw me a bit as I'm fairly new, but I was doing everything else fine (not holding up play, not playing out of turn etc.) The dealer was probably having a bad day. I hated the way he reached over, ignored me, and started throwing my chips in for me like I was an imbecile.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

dealer is clearly a dick, tell his boss and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dealer is wrong. Prob new to dealing.
    Call the floor and explain what you said.

I often say "total" at the end if I think people may misunderstand. But its not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

dealer is clearly a dick, tell his boss and move on

This. He shouldn't touch your chips without your permission, especially if it's putting money into an active pot. He's also a dick for telling you what you said, and arguing when you told him what you truly said. Happened to me once before, dealer eventually relented when the rest of the table agreed with what I said.

To avoid confusion, I'd always just say "raise - three thousand TOTAL" or simply "raise" while chucking 3000 into the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Phil Iam

It would have been better to say raise to 3000,
    also did you win the hand if so the dealer boosted your winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭bantee

Phil Iam wrote: »
    It would have been better to say raise to 3000,
    also did you win the hand if so the dealer boosted your winnings.

Did you read the OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Alan Stale Raid

Id remove the hand of any ****er who went near my mad stackz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

dealer sounds like an idiot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement