Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

20-02-2014, 01:33   #16
lludson

Just registered to thank everyone who has helped out. This is without question the house, even without the address from the passport application. I have PM's going on Reddit to make sure we split up the reward properly. You deserve it so much and I wish I had more to give.

I might have to employ you guys to follow my own roots! I was in Ireland two years ago, to visit my cousin who my friend is traveling with. She and her mom (my grandmother's niece) took me to my grandmother's place of birth in the countryside close to Cavan, where her house used to be, and to the mailbox she used to walk through fields to - still standing. To her school as well. All so astounding and emotional for me. We lost her in 1994. I need to go back, and go deeper.....

You live in an incredible place, and are just amazing, wonderful people....

If you don't know from the Reddit thread, my friend and cousin are to be interviewed tomorrow on RTE's The Mooney Show at 3-4pm your time. People from Reddit were hammering news outlets to pick up this story. And I am sending them news that this house has been found. I will be linking them to this forum and the Daily Edge website.

So many thanks,

Hudson
Advertisement
20-02-2014, 02:00   #17
Ponster

Send a message via Skype™ to Ponster
Quote:
Originally Posted by lludson View Post
You live in an incredible place, and are just amazing, wonderful people....
Ah now....To be honest we're just a bunch of people with access to genealogy sites and excellent Google skills

As I said on Reddit, I'll write up a little outline of how we got to where we did, including of course all those on reddit who are not here but helped a lot.

The money is very generous but personally I would have paid you for the pleasure of the chase
(3) thanks from:
20-02-2014, 02:16   #18
lludson

Is there an upvote button somewhere? =)
(5) thanks from:
20-02-2014, 05:35   #19
Ponster

Send a message via Skype™ to Ponster
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew View Post
even better, I had a quick search for that - thought it might be her sister

everything screamed Co. Down... should have trusted that instinct earlier
Yep. From the start I knew I had to ignore the mentions of Dublin in the OP on Reddit and then Co. Down started to appear all over the place. This was one of those "staring you in the face" searches
(2) thanks from:
20-02-2014, 08:26   #20
shanew

link to various N.I. directories in case these haven't been mentioned elsewhere :

Street directories - PRONI covering 1819-1900
Lennon Wylie excellent collection of directory transcriptions including the 1918 listing mentioned above.

p.s. the 1913 Telephone Directory on the LennonWylie site includes listings for Dublin & Cork

Last edited by shanew; 20-02-2014 at 09:01. Reason: typo 1819 for PRONI not 1918...
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-02-2014, 09:10   #21
pinkypinky

Well done everyone! So proud of you. I'm only sorry I didn't have time to help on this one.
Thanks from:
20-02-2014, 10:16   #22
MugMugs
Hosted Moderator

Well you've made The Daily Edge lads !

Well done !

Thanks from:
20-02-2014, 10:42   #23
KildareFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Well done everyone! So proud of you. I'm only sorry I didn't have time to help on this one.
Sorry I missed out on this - it was all sorted when I logged on this morning.
20-02-2014, 11:38   #24
Wyldwood

Great piece of detective work! Congratulations everyone. Followed the thread yesterday.
Advertisement
20-02-2014, 11:55   #25
HoJOs

great detective work chaps! if you zoom in on the new bay window, upper left corner, you can still see part of the vent that appears in the original photo
20-02-2014, 17:10   #26
lludson

Hi everyone. Shanew, I need you to PM me your Paypal for your reward. Same for Ponster. You guys were incredible.

Hope some of you were able to tune into The Money Show in the last hour. The interview was great. My friend Tom did so well, as did Ponster, who called in.

And it's not over yet. They were able to visit the address and leave a note on the door a few hours ago with the RTE's phone number. He ended up coming home to it and called in. They are doing another show when Tom and Camilla get to Belfast on Wednesday at 3pm. The person who lives there has welcomed Tom in for tea. And it will be broadcast.

Just amazing. Thank you, everyone.

Hudson
(3) thanks from:
20-02-2014, 17:13   #27
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Community Manager

For anyone who missed it, the show can be replayed here. Today's episode is not up just yet but I'm sure it will be available later today or some time tomorrow - you can choose the "Search for a Special House" on the menu on the right under today's date
(4) thanks from:
21-02-2014, 08:56   #28

Fantastic work folks, well done!!
21-02-2014, 11:38   #29
shanew

I've put together some notes on the key elements of this search, for reference. Apologies in advance for any errors or omissions, documenting this is still a work in progress..

see : Mystery Solved
(3) thanks from:
21-02-2014, 12:08   #30
montgo

Super sleuthing, Shane & co. Well done
Thread Closed