Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-09-2019, 22:44   #16
Hermy

That's quite a common occurrence.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-09-2019, 22:47   #17
pinkypinky

Extremely common occurrence in the past - most recent one in my family is in the 1920s but I can think of at least 10 examples in just my own tree.
(2) thanks from:
24-09-2019, 08:43   #18
Maryanne84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesh's Umpire View Post
What would be the likelihood of a child being given a certain name, dying in infancy, and a younger sibling being given the same name?
I'm trying to convince myself that it may be the solution to a problem I've found in my tree.
As I’ve already posted, it happened in my Fathers family.
Thanks from:
24-09-2019, 08:50   #19
Meursault

Very interesting.

Similar case in my family tree. My great grandfather had a brother, who was a bigamist. No one knew at the time, as he was in the army. He gave the kids from his second marriage the same first names as the kids from his first marriage. The poor wives never found out until he died and they went to collect their war widows pension. Presumably, the poor second wife got nothing and was left with no money to take care of the kids.
(2) thanks from:
24-09-2019, 16:12   #20
Hesh's Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
Quote:
What would be the likelihood of a child being given a certain name, dying in infancy, and a younger sibling being given the same name?
I'm trying to convince myself that it may be the solution to a problem I've found in my tree.
As I’ve already posted, it happened in my Fathers family.
Thank you. I didn't see your post. It explains a lot for me.
Advertisement
27-09-2019, 22:09   #21
OU812

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsquarepants View Post
And an appliance in his kitchen
When celebrity endorsements were first gaining traction, Hulk Hogan was given the option of endorsing a meatball maker or a grill, he chose & launched the "Hulkamania meatball maker" & made about $150k from it. Easy money.

George foreman was given the grill to endorse & took 40% as a royalty, he was making $5m, a month when the manufacturers bought him out for $150m, giving him a total of $200m profit for putting his name to it.

He can have as many kids named George as he likes.

07-10-2019, 20:47   #22
hubba

Quote:
I have come across a lot of that in my tree. I thought it was very odd but it kind of makes sense in a way.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion