Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Villain wrote: »
    Testing is testing I just choose who I want to help test that is all. The number of hours it will be locked for testing over the entire week will be quite small.

We don't have a hoard - fact but hey don't the let the truth get in the way of having a go :D

Having a go is all part of the fun isnt it. The various factions or semi factions make the Boards server harder than most to play on.

Just to reiterate my point on what you proposed above, this is lifted directly from the Dayz website...
    Can I host a server for my clan?

Yes, you can. We encourage clans to set up a server to act as their home.

What you cannot do, however, is to restrict the server to your clan only. The gameplay of DayZ involves conflict between survivors as well as zombies, and restricting a server to a single clan would take away this aspect of the gameplay. It would also allow the clan to farm gear without risking interference from other players, which would give them an unfair advantage.

And just to appease my own appetite what exactly do you need to test. I understand if a new patch or mod ver gets released, but after that if no changes are made there should be no need to test surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Laviski wrote: »
    rules are always subject to change, you do not see the chatter behind the scenes. dayz servers are bandwidth intensive but imho in the future servers will have reserved slots. that day will come.

No as a non server host I'm not party to the chatter as you term it, however the idea of reserved slots does not mean a passworded server.... Normally you can reserve a small number of slots based on the server size to allow clan members etc in.

I cannot see the day that players will be kicked from the game to make way for clan players, the nature of the game and how it works means that would be a very negative scenario for the player involved wouldnt it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

TheFairy wrote: »
    No as a non server host I'm not party to the chatter as you term it, however the idea of reserved slots does not mean a passworded server.... Normally you can reserve a small number of slots based on the server size to allow clan members etc in.

I cannot see the day that players will be kicked from the game to make way for clan players, the nature of the game and how it works means that would be a very negative scenario for the player involved wouldnt it.....
    I thought I saw the dev's metion bringing in reserved slots somewhere, could have been in just normal arma which would make sense but if they did that it could be used in DayZ. Even if you did get kicked for a slot your character would not die.

Any reason for why I was kicked?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Having a go is all part of the fun isnt it. The various factions or semi factions make the Boards server harder than most to play on.
    Yes but having a go on the basis of incorrect assumptions is a bit silly.
    And just to appease my own appetite what exactly do you need to test. I understand if a new patch or mod ver gets released, but after that if no changes are made there should be no need to test surely?
    There is loads of changes you can make to the config to optimize different aspects and loads of scripts for certain tasks e.g. kicking people who sit in the lobby.

Everytime I took the server down to make any changes I got loads of "why is the server down, why is it locked, but it's crashing" so I will choose people that I know won't ask such questions :D

• Advertisement

Wasn't by me anway, probably battleeye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

this is happening a lot reenctly has to do with battle eye and the new game version that was brought in the other day...
    have a look at the official forums its happening to loads of people... i lost a 5 day old character with a load of gear due to it...

Wasn't by me anway, probably battleeye

Weird, hasn't happened before. Didn't realize it would be night time anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Also, Vil chooses people that are on the Mumble to test for desync, ping and general lag because he gets instant feedback. He typically will choose one volunteer to test first, then tell more and more people from the Mumble to join until we are all on and the game is still running smoothly. Then the server is unlocked and it's bandwidth reap time.

It's a dangerous thing to do, if there is an issue with Hive then you could lose all your gear.

Nothing sinister. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Ill COntribute again later on, How much is the server Per month if ya don't mind me askin? Judging by the amount thats being donated we've enough to run a 100 slot server if arma allows it. Which would be SAVAGE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

ah yea, locked for "testing" ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hawke wrote: »
    I thought I saw the dev's metion bringing in reserved slots somewhere

yes. Rocket said that we'd have the ability to assign reserved slots as soon as the mechanisms were in place to prevent clans using reserved spots to hoard weapons/vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

K, that was pants. On a different server. A dude literally lets himself get attacked by Z's just to shoot me. What an a**hat. I understand banditry. But that just sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lacoona

And the dictatorship strengthens, now not only are you hoarding for yourselves - which is fine, you are now dictating who can play and who cannot.

As a server admin, you are not allowed lock the server for "testing" - that's a dev's job. Also, if you are accepting donations, do you not think it proper to update everyone on server restarts/changes to the server? I'm not moaning, I'm just seriously concerned with the fact that some people are actually going to follow you on this and not get the full benefits of playing this game. It's unfortunate that there is only one Irish server for Irish players, run by someone who clearly has no respect for the players who play on the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was watching a video yesterday and saw indication marks on the side of the screen to know where Z's were, boards doesn't have this ( unless i missed it) but what option do servers have.

Varik wrote: »
    Was watching a video yesterday and saw indication marks on the side of the screen to know where Z's were, boards doesn't have this ( unless i missed it) but what option do servers have.
    Were they little circles? They are on the boards server, they indicate sound I believe. Both zombie an non-zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

tuxy wrote: »
    where was the info about helping to pay for the server hidden. Why was it hidden?

Hidden away in the Boards Social Group with 100+ members which did contain all info Villain has mentioned.
    Lacoona wrote:
    Also, if you are accepting donations, do you not think it proper to update everyone on server restarts/changes to the server?

Also he does update this thread often with changes to version numbers or if the server is locked he does mention why.
    Dreamers75 also updates this thread and the Tactical Shooter forum with new updates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Ye the server does have them, White for npc's and green for players. Was lucky to spot 2 green dots the other day on my screen, was two lads with guile suits sneeking up on me and two others, they had such sexy loot when they died :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Right... had enough trying to solo... any small groups i can tag along with ? Can join comms if yas use any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hidden away in the Boards Social Group

"Invalid Social Group Discussion specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Ok thanks.......

• Advertisement

"Invalid Social Group Discussion specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

Ok thanks.......
    Works for me. trying going into the gaming groups category it should be at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Magill wrote: »
    Right... had enough trying to solo... any small groups i can tag along with ? Can join comms if yas use any.

I'll probably be on the Boards mumble tonight at around 8PM or so. I'll be trying to meet up with another group in game, so I'm sure you can tag along.

Hawke wrote: »
    Works for me. trying going into the gaming groups category it should be at the top.

It's not showing up there but I found it with a google search thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I'll probably be on the Boards mumble tonight at around 8PM or so. I'll be trying to meet up with another group in game, so I'm sure you can tag along.

dead on, does anyone have the boards mumble details btw ?

Magill wrote: »
    dead on, does anyone have the boards mumble details btw ?

It's been posted in that place that's really easy to find :)

Lacoona wrote: »
    And the dictatorship strengthens, now not only are you hoarding for yourselves - which is fine, you are now dictating who can play and who cannot.
    It's easy to find Liberation in this scenario, start another server :D and we aren't hoarding, we have found other camps that had far more than us.
    Lacoona wrote: »
    As a server admin, you are not allowed lock the server for "testing" - that's a dev's job. Also, if you are accepting donations, do you not think it proper to update everyone on server restarts/changes to the server? I'm not moaning, I'm just seriously concerned with the fact that some people are actually going to follow you on this and not get the full benefits of playing this game. It's unfortunate that there is only one Irish server for Irish players, run by someone who clearly has no respect for the players who play on the server.

LOL you expect Dev's to test each host server, yea good luck with that. I update people on the server when I'm going to restart most of the time but sadly the tool for sending server wide messages is rather unstable.

Why moan about the server I run, just start your own server or use one of the others, no-one is forcing you to use the IRE1 server. You actually have freewill ! :p

It's got 100+ members

Label: boards.ie tactical shooter
    Address: ireland.clanwarz.com
    Port: 64739
    Username: [insert own username here]
    Password: shooter

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Ah... my bike didn't bloody save. What a sweet ride that was.

Why moan about the server I run, just start your own server or use one of the others, no-one is forcing you to use the IRE1 server. You actually have freewill ! :p

Isn't the idea of the hive to create some kind of cross server community?

• Advertisement

Isn't the idea of the hive to create some kind of cross server community?
    Sure and there is loads to choose from, but hey why not put the effort into creating one yourself. Some people talk and some people do ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement