Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coolmine community school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

aww Ms Quirk was my year head too then I did TY and now she is doing the night classes with Mrs Creaven :( lol thought you would have been booked or something xD she must have liked you then again shes nice to everyone...

I remember Mr Healy he was my TG teacher he waws so nice, pretty too but he married Ms Gallagher and moved... Never saw him as the comic type but ah well..

My english teacher is Mr O'Reilly.. He just rocks.. i dont know when he came to the school but a few years ago he broke both his wrists, you might remember him fomr that or mabye it was a year or 2 after you im not too sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Stinjy wrote: »
    aww Ms Quirk was my year head too then I did TY and now she is doing the night classes with Mrs Creaven :( lol thought you would have been booked or something xD she must have liked you then again shes nice to everyone...

I remember Mr Healy he was my TG teacher he waws so nice, pretty too but he married Ms Gallagher and moved... Never saw him as the comic type but ah well..

My english teacher is Mr O'Reilly.. He just rocks.. i dont know when he came to the school but a few years ago he broke both his wrists, you might remember him fomr that or mabye it was a year or 2 after you im not too sure..

Ms Quirk was always lovely, very patient lady when I think about it now :rolleyes:

Oh they married?? Gossip :D Mr. Healy did TG with me in first year, I figured he'd of married Miss Grimes!

I've no recollection of a Mr O'Reilly, I don't think :confused::confused:

"Ms Quirk was a lovely lady" - Ms Quirk is a lovely lady shes soo nice and yeas definatly patient and always up for a chat! we had her for archaeology in TY aswell best classof the year.... and Mrs Creaven shes amazing too.. got me a B in the Jnr.. just an incredible woman..

Yeah well as far as i know they married and he moved back to galway last time i saw her she was going on maternaty leave.. marry ms grimes?????? no I never had her but the what looked like oversised mens football jumpers and pleated skirts did nothing for her!

Do you remember Ms Vaughn? she tought business..

Aw your deprived not knowing the legend of O'Reilly! he is the other classics teacher now aswell as Mr Smith.

"Ms Quirk was a lovely lady" - Ms Quirk is a lovely lady shes soo nice and yeas definatly patient and always up for a chat! we had her for archaeology in TY aswell best classof the year.... and Mrs Creaven shes amazing too.. got me a B in the Jnr.. just an incredible woman..

Yeah well as far as i know they married and he moved back to galway last time i saw her she was going on maternaty leave.. marry ms grimes?????? no I never had her but the what looked like oversised mens football jumpers and pleated skirts did nothing for her!

Do you remember Ms Vaughn? she tought business..

Aw your deprived not knowing the legend of O'Reilly! he is the other classics teacher now aswell as Mr Smith.

I just remember Healy and Grimes always chatting and going into each others classes. She dresses mental, but she's super sound. I remember she went off to photocopy a book, but came back with a handdrill :confused::confused::D

Never had Ms Vaughn, but I do remember her.

Ah yeah, my friends did Classical Studies. If its the same Mr Smith, then he was completely new and confused when he started out, but nice guy :D

A hand drill eh? thats one of the most random things I've heard!! hmm... im sure she was probably a legend in her own time....

yup same guy he would have started the year you were leaving i think it was the year i was in first year.. 5 yrs ago.. I'm sure he was all confused and stuff but he has come along way, he has bucket loads of notes so we basically have to do very little just read them, like we started the oddessy and there is over 40 pages of notes! and he has the same for each topic, Drama, Art and Archetecture, and im sure he has it for the rest.. he is an amazing teacher i know some people dont think so but he has put so much effort in and is realy dedicated, but gets no respect specially form my class, and i have him for religion too, he really is lovely... just some a*s*H*l*s annoy him because he puts so much effort into the work photocopying loads and people are listning to MP3's and just talking and not listning....

yeah Ms Vaughn she went on to do Psycology or something.. dont know how thats working... xD

• Advertisement

Yeah, she was mental and fun!

Wow, Vaughn is working her way up in the world so :) Go her!

Yeah, he seemed real nice and easy going. He was better than the other Classics teacher at the time. I remember my friends having stacks of notes from him. Good to know he's getting on better too :)
    MP3s in class? Now they're relaxed about the aul Leaving Cert lol

Yeah thats the last we heard of her thank god.. Serio anyone who actualy had her for the jnr would hav wel lets just say theyd have to be quite smart and do it al themselves.. <SNIP>

Was synnott the other classics teacher and halfo ie mr halforty? Lol he cut his hair xD

Yeah the mp3s are in the clas because it is usualy a phone.. Eventhough they tried to rid the school of that too but realised they couldnt.. And sure half my clas are texting too its actualy realy funny

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

I started in '02 and finished in 07, same as HungryJoey (i think i know you actually)

That school started going mad with rules, they tried to ban us playin football at break,tried to make people wear these covers over their runners if ya didn't wear shoes in, banned people from leavin the school grounds at small break and loads of other ****ty rules.

Mr O'Reilly was my English teacher in 5th or 6th when he broke both his wrists, he got some abuse from us til we left:) But he was dead sound, he'd always go along with the craic and always have a smart ass comment to say at the end of it all. But his voice would put you to sleep. I remember talking to him in town when i was on a pub crawl in college an i was p!ssed but i don't no what i said to him:0

Healy was a legend, he used 2 rip the p!ss out of people a good bit and always let us hook up our music to the computer and let it play right through the practicals, but only if the Wolfetones or some trad/rebel music was played the odd time:)

Sinnott was gas, he'd always storm out and say he was goin 2 get the Principle/yr head and always come back with a cup of tea, that was until he stormed out one day and we locked him out.A lot of trouble ensued after that!

I heard a lot of teachers left in 07 and were replaced by really young teachers?

Is Mr Henry still teaching there? He should be gone years!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK folks, I'll let this thread keep going 'cos it's quite interesting, but please, dont post anything that's can be seen as personal abuse towards any teacher or I'll be forced to lock the thread.
    Please see the charter, and remember the terms and conditions of boards.ie that you agreed to when you signed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

I can't even remember what year I graduated. About 5 years ago, Ms Quirke was my year head between 1st and 3rd year then Mr.Walsh for 5th and 6th, Mr.Sexton in TY.

I heard a few of the people I went to class with have gone back to teach, Bar Delaney and Ali Freeman were both in my year, I think Bar has a permanent/temp job there, Ali was subbing for a while.

www.markcoughlan.com <- Click About Mark, thats me, anyone recognise?

I was back there to see my sister graduate last year and Ms Quirke didn't realise who I was, I've grown my hair and have a bit a stubble and the likes these days.

Had Ms.Twomey for all 6 years for English, very good teacher.

I was hopeless at Maths but Mr.Flanagan was unreal, fantastic teacher. I somehow managed to pass ordinary level. Met him in the centre a few months back, jesus he's lost weight, tiny compared to what I remember of him. He's supposedly mad into his MMA.

Mr Walsh was another class teacher, hilarious, such a funny man, dryest sense of humour I've ever come across. Always enjoyed his classes - he used to leave to get tea and ask if anyone wanted a cuppa then bring back 3/4 cups of tea and a twix for whoever got their requests in first.

We did a "Guys and Dolls" play in TY, Mr.Tully and Ms.Kavanagh produced it. Absolute nightmare to do, I'm convinced we caused Ms.K to have a mental breakdown. Tully was hilarious, so serious but a great guy he had so health issues a few years ago but he's back now I think.

One of my best memories - We were in the school late at night, all 60 of us from TY practicing for Guys and Dolls. A group of the class were down in the Arts rooms painting the backdrops and the rest of us were in the Canteen on the stage. It was pitch black, real winter night. I don't know if they're still there now but there used to be loads of loose benches in the middle of the malls running the length between all the corridors. First we turned of all the lights in the malls and corridors except A, so you couldn't even see your hand in front of your face as you walked down the malls. Then we went to Tully and Kavanagh in the canteen and told them the people in the arts rooms needed them for something.

So K and Tully went off down through the dark to the arts rooms, we waited about thirty seconds then 5 of us snuck down through the malls and pulled all the benches out of position so they were just dotted randomly all over the malls, then we made our way, very carefully - still in the dark - back to A corridor and listened. I was really quiet in the school so you could hear Tully and K leaving the arts room from A corridor, next thing you could just hear them walking into the benches, walking a few more steps and walking into another bench, another bench, cursing and muttering that they knew exactly who had done this and they were going to kill them. K had a huge folder that she had everything about the play organised in, she dropped it and all the paper went everywhere.

Ah, we were nearly crying from laughing listening to them haplessly walking into benches in the dark. It was brilliant.

• Advertisement

yeah the football ban didnt work. Every little break and big break especially, usually beside the prefab and on the quad,

Mr O'Reilly is the biggest ledge of a teacher, u can say what ya want but be ware he will slag you back, sure he played "pick up 52" the other day was sooo funny.. Na hes making us take notes at the moment, which i realised are very helpful since he gave us an essay at the end of it all, What is your name 5T3PH3N ill ask him what you said xD ( im assuming its stephen.. but yaknow) Healy has been replaced by Kingston and he lets ya play music too you can her it in the surrounding rooms!!! Synnott is cool, i dont have him for anything but he now has a class room in the school, Mr Smith that teaches classics is in his prefab and hes in Ms O'Horas room and she moved to Mr Lynches room because hes gone :D( just thought ya might want to know all the goss ) and yeah a lot of teachers have left or mabye its just all the new ones that i see.... Mr Henry is still teaching! but there is a 5th year class and Mr Gleeson is teaching it too...

Pen; Mr Walsh is now the VP.. Mr Delaney is so cool, had a free classics class and he was supervising and he just started teaching us stuff we need to know for the theory driving test... Who was your sister? Mrs Twomey is cool, her daughter is also teaching here now,
    I have Flanagan for maths now hes a grand teacher and can take a laugh, and does like to slag ya or call us all looser... Ms Kavanagh has to be the most organised teacher ever serio, in TY we were helping her put some stuff into folders and jeepers its amazing the orgainisation!

Pen, I think I know you. Bar Delaney is teaching?? I think I was in his geography class, with Mrs O'Hora? If it's the same Bar?

Oh I loved Mr Synott, the liners he came out "Cutting the Mustard" and "Playing to the gallery!" What a legend :)

Halforty cut his hair?? Too many shocks to the system in one evening! ;) I remember when I got a new haircut, Ms. Peavoy and Ms. Quirk were talking to me about it before having a long chat about his hair and daydreaming about him playing the guitar. I remember stepping backwards at this stage, saying I had to get to a class. Funny times :pac:

That benches story sounds fun too ;)

yeah Delaney is teaching, I think it is the right Delaney, grad about what 2, 3years ago?

jeebus Synnots 1liners funniest things I've heard about them "epileptic seals" and such...

Yeah halfo cut his hair someone told me and I was like no... no way but yes it is a fact i saw him was like :eek: lol...

yeah Ms Peavoy is cool too.. Shes preggers, well actually no she was preggers and i think she had a girl... if i heard correctly....

I shall have to say something to Ms Kavanagh on tuesday! funny stuff did she ever get all the pages back in order lol (shes 2nd year year head now! lovely but scary if your in trouble in 2nd year so glad I'm not!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Pen, I think I know you. Bar Delaney is teaching?? I think I was in his geography class, with Mrs O'Hora? If it's the same Bar?

Yeah the same Barry, good bloke, I'd say he'll make a good teacher with a bit of experience.

You gonna gimme a name here, maybe I know you too?

I thought Halfo retired? He's some bloke, had him for some class in TY, did nothing all year but funny. He left his phone on the desk and left the class so one of us rang ourselves off his phone to get his number then used to text him randomly, those were the days. Sound bloke.

Synott was a hero, he'd loose the head - go totally red in the face, screaming at the class, then take whoever he was annoyed at outside and be like "c'mon, you're a really good person deep down, don't do this me. I'm sorry for shouting, can me just agree to get along?" everyone would be looking out the prefab window at him basically apologising. Brilliant, a big softie.

yeha Delaney will be an awsome teacher in a few years we got his view on gay rights one day he totallly took it out of this one person against gays was soooo funny....

lol yeha halfo didnt retire Mr Medlar retired about 5 times yet he still is teaching! I had halfo for music in ty a triple class on a wednesday and double on friday morning for film studies, he likes girls and any musicians, (I happen to be both, was a very funny year) hes sound but he need to know when to stop and not insult people.. i gave out to him for that actually.... and he took what i said... was so suprised ...

yeah synnott was a legend... funny man, bad writing on the board one line the g's and y's would loop into the line below and it was al messy so he'd have to read it all out!

Pen1987 wrote: »
    Yeah the same Barry, good bloke, I'd say he'll make a good teacher with a bit of experience.

You gonna gimme a name here, maybe I know you too?

Synott was a hero, he'd loose the head - go totally red in the face, screaming at the class, then take whoever he was annoyed at outside and be like "c'mon, you're a really good person deep down, don't do this me. I'm sorry for shouting, can me just agree to get along?" everyone would be looking out the prefab window at him basically apologising. Brilliant, a big softie.

Cool, I'll pm you name, what with the internet being what it is :P

I remember Synott doing that a few times with the lads in my class alright. Though seems he was doing that to my friends brother and all he did was sneeze :rolleyes: Very funny :pac:
    yeha Delaney will be an awsome teacher in a few years we got his view on gay rights one day he totallly took it out of this one person against gays was soooo funny....

lol yeha halfo didnt retire Mr Medlar retired about 5 times yet he still is teaching! I had halfo for music in ty a triple class on a wednesday and double on friday morning for film studies, he likes girls and any musicians, (I happen to be both, was a very funny year) hes sound but he need to know when to stop and not insult people.. i gave out to him for that actually.... and he took what i said... was so suprised ...

yeah synnott was a legend... funny man, bad writing on the board one line the g's and y's would loop into the line below and it was al messy so he'd have to read it all out!

Yeah, I remember Halfo having a great time with peoples surnames and then commenting on the lovely ladies. But he can get on some peoples nerves with that, glad you told him off :D

Ms, Peavoy had a baby girl?? That's so sweet, she was a decent teacher, called us our most quiet and well behaved class, but also the most lazy, as we wanted everything handed to us, well who doesn't? lol :D

Halfo is cool bt what he said was very bad on one of the people..

Yeah Ms Peavoy had a baby girl dont know the name though..

Do you remeber Ms walsh? She had a kid too but shes gone now :( bestest geog teacher ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blackthunder

Mr.Delaney have him for business now!

Amazing teacher, Some scummers in the class now try to walk all over him, But he doesnt take ****! lol

Very good teacher though, Has his predictions of whats gonna come up and gives great notes.

Very hard tests though! lol

What year u in blackthunder? Yeah delaney wont take any crap, has his oppinions and feels very strong about his oppinions, and he has infinate knowledge.. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I graduated last year (and the year before but that's a long story).

Mr. Gleeson was an absolute legend.

The only teacher who measured things in relation to bags of potatoes.
    Eg. Talking about medicine balls, student asks how much they weigh, Mr. Gleeson replies: Oh I'd say about as much as a bag and a half of potatoes.

To a class of 30 kids from Blanch!

• Advertisement

lol I think I would probably know half of you on this... Its funny...

Bags of potatoes... hmm hes never done that while ive been in his class... I've only had him for 2 years though 1st and TY... great classes though

• Registered Users Posts: 8 twilight_2010

i only had Gleeson once in TY last year for local history....it was the most boring class but he was hilarious, calling everyone by there last names (Mr. Smith, Ms. Jones). and did anyone notice he always had an apple in his hand???

Yeah always wit his fruit...
    Twilight u jen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

1999 - 2004.

Hehe, I used to sit beside "Mr Delaney".

yeah, who are you

Never mind, Stinjy. i think i just worked it out! :)

hah thats soo wierd to be like yeah i sat beside "mr delaney" xD must be wierd seein him bein taked about as a teacher now!

and yeah twilight tis me.. the one and only! xD

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Greetings & Salutations from a graduate of Coolmine

1982 to 1987

ANy more elder lemons out there ?

apperently not! xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

spfeno wrote: »
    Greetings & Salutations from a graduate of Coolmine

1982 to 1987

ANy more elder lemons out there ?

Hah you're only a young whipper snapper!

Greetings to all my former fellow inmates of 1975 to 1980!

Advertisement