Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glenroe

• 09-05-2005 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Is it just me or does anyone else miss Glenroe at 8.30 on a sunday night.....It was a great auld show in fairness!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I think it's just you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

jamieh wrote:
    Is it just me or does anyone else miss Glenroe at 8.30 on a sunday night.....It was a great auld show in fairness!!
    no i miss it too, it was the definitive end to a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

by god, i hated glenroe....and i worked on it :eek:

RuggieBear wrote:
    and i worked on it :eek:
    elaborate ! have you any glenroe paraphenalia about?

Superman wrote:
    elaborate ! have you any glenroe paraphenalia about?

Afraid not...i helped organise 15 years of scripts (from the beggining up till the time i was there) into a coherant resource for the newer writers (so i was able to see all the storylines develop from the start). Also helped to edit an episode once with the director and producer.

• Advertisement

you truly are the stuff of legends!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

what a god awful program. most of the fharacters were stuck up toffee nosed farmers. with more money than sense, or so it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

well it was far better than Fair City. But that isn't very hard. Glenroe being on just reminded me that I had to be back in school the next day! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

RuggieBear did you got to meet that sex godess Biddy Bryne? :p

Larianne, exactly the same for me..school next day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Haha, I have a signed picture of Dinny! phwaww..

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    RuggieBear did you got to meet that sex godess Biddy Bryne? :p

Larianne, exactly the same for me..school next day :mad:

No but i did get to see miley and dinney do a scene in the pub.....dinney pulled an almighty primadonna strop about being left to long in the studio lights (admitedly those tv lights are very warm)

remember when your man tried to burn down the zinc mine and left his glasses behind and got snared!
    Definitely my favourite episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Biddy was a ride

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Typical Genroe ending:

Oh god, I've left the cooker on (cue title music) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I hated Glenroe with a passion. In the eighties, the music was synonymous with me going into a deep depression with the thought of school again on Monday. For me it signalled the end of the weekend.

Edit:
    Sorry, just saw Larianne's similar post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

jamieh wrote:

NO! I just think Glenroe was one of those annoying programs that they put on on Sunday nights to remind people that the weekend is over. Alongside such tripe as 'The school around the corner' and 'Where in the World'! god i am bored just thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

it too reminded me of school the next morning. but i still watched it for the chicks in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Ou member that chuck guy , He was deadly!!
    Miley needed a hair cut badly , jesus that song the byroad to glenroe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RuggieBear wrote:
    Afraid not...i helped organise 15 years of scripts (from the beggining up till the time i was there) into a coherant resource for the newer writers (so i was able to see all the storylines develop from the start).

So you're the one responsible for turning Terry Killeen into a girl! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

For me it signalled the end of the weekend

YES i remember that horrible feeling,with only 20 minutes left to Start & finish your homework before "That's Life" started. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Thought Biddys Ma was in great shape but then I was only 10 !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ah blackie conners

Yea I hated it for the fact that me bleeding Maths homework always came out during it and then the weekend was over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eddiehitler

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Yea I hated it for the fact that me bleeding Maths homework always came out during it and then the weekend was over :(

yea i remember that, jayses that was the worst part of the week. sunday nights in our house tv for me was the wonder years then where in the world (remember that crap??!!)and then Glenroe. ya always knew that when the credits rolled at the end it was time for bed, but ya never had your homework done so you had to stay up doin that til all hours!

Oh fuk where in the world I remember it!!!
    Yea the bloody maths thats all i think of when i think of Glenroe , Id end up copying it in the morning anyway , be so tired after all the excitement of Glenroe :)

i think RTE should have a type of 'gold' channel just like they do in the uk just to show all those old ****ty programs from the 80's. i know they were crap but i bet a lot of people would tune into them just for nostalgia more than anything else. probably be better than the crap thats on RTE lately anyway!

I love watching the wonder years on paramount when im up home!Yea I wish RTE would do something like that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

yea i remember that, jayses that was the worst part of the week. sunday nights in our house tv for me was the wonder years then where in the world (remember that crap??!!)and then Glenroe. ya always knew that when the credits rolled at the end it was time for bed, but ya never had your homework done so you had to stay up doin that til all hours!

Where in the World was on after Glenroe. Glenroe was on before the news at 8.30 and then Where in the world was after the news.

i wish i could remember things in such detail as you! yea it would be a good idea i think. even better would be if they could show some of the old adverts they used to have on too. there were some classics out there better than the actual programs. but thats RTE for ya, if they thought thats what people wanted theyd do all in their power to do the complete oppisite!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    My most vivid childhood memory of knowing when the end of the weekend was nigh was the theme music from Mastermind, when Magnus Magnusson was presenting it.. this would've been 1979/80 yearframe. The Glenroe theme served a similarly unpleasant purpose in later years.

Advertisement