Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The International 3

• 25-07-2013 2:05pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Well, the time is almost upon us. The biggest event on the DotA calender is upon us. 16 teams will battle it out for the $2.6 million dollar prize pool ($1m of which has come directly from you, the fans) which is the largest in esports history and of course, there can only be one winner.

The full schedule for the event can be located here:
    http://www.gosugamers.net/dota2/news/24882-the-international-3-full-schedule-released
    Kick off is on August 3rd with the group stages and the Main Event is starting on the 7th. It will promise great viewing for new players and veterans alike and I have no doubt there will be several surprises a long the way.

The teams competing are as follows:
    Invictus Gaming
    TongFu
    Team Liquid
    Orange Esports
    Alliance
    Fnatic
    Natus Vincere
    Team Zenith
    Team Dignitas
    Virtus.pro
    Team DK
    LGD International
    LGD China
    MUFC
    Mousesports
    Quantic Gaming / Rattlesnake - determined by a wildcard match

Who are the favorites for you guys? Expect any unseen strategies? What hero do you think will make the biggest impact?

Its all kicking off soon so lets start the buzz now :)

Comments

I haven't been watching the teams as closely this year but have always had a soft spot for Na'vi, they are probably the best pro team to watch. Hope they do well.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I haven't been watching the teams as closely this year but have always had a soft spot for Na'vi, they are probably the best pro team to watch. Hope they do well.

Na'Vi seem to be peeking at the right time which is good. They are so hard to play against for other teams but often they get just get 1 key thing wrong and crumble extremely quickly. imo, the key to stopping them is to shut down XBOCT (pronounced povost). Hes a controversial figure and a lot of the community dislike him, dunno why tbh, but their strategies will revolve around him in some way. Dendi reckons that XBOCT is the best player on Na'Vi and often, if he is allowed to do his thing, Na'Vi win. But this is a team of All Stars so expect massive plays out of all of them :)

IG seemed to be going through a slump recently but they are the defending champions so expect a strong performance from them.
    Alliance are the other big western favorite but imo, they peeked at the wrong time this year. They have been shown up in many games over the past month or 2 but you can expect them to put up a strong performance. The have some really innovative plays and strategies and S4 is a fantastic mid player. Swedish legend Loda is their carry player and hes probably one of the most experienced players in the entire tournament.

I don't expect much from the American teams (Dignitas & Liquid) as I think nearly every other team outclasses them. They are still excellent teams & players but this is the cream of the crop and I dont think they have what it takes.

For me, the two surprise packages will be LGD International and Fnatic. Fnatic have crazy talented players like n0tail and Hann1 and can be extremely difficult for their opponents to face. They like to dictate the games flow and have a hard to predict draft due to how many heroes they can play and what players can play in what positions.
    LGD Int. are also another super talented side and have been playing in China for almost a year now. A mix of Chinese work ethic + western innovation can be the key to their success. A team you don't want to write off.

Its really hard to call this early as on the day anything can happen and as you can see from the lineup there is a crazy talent pool going to this event. I havent even mentioned the likes of LGD China, DK & Orange who are also extremely strong teams.

I do want to find a website I can gamble on though :p I think I would be able to predict a good few of the matches and make a little cash :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Come on Alliance! Thought both LGDs were in it no?

Come on Alliance! Thought both LGDs were in it no?

my copy/pasting skills arent up to scratch. added in mouz and LGD china now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Na'Vi and Alliance are sure to be the top Western teams judging by their current games. LGD.cn and iG will be the Chinese teams to watch as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'd completely rule out Dignitas here and now. They've really been playing soemthing average over the last 12 months and frankly am surprised they even got the invite to the event.

Depending on how the groups layout, I reckon we may see a Na'vi vs Alliance final.

I'd completely rule out Dignitas here and now. They've really been playing soemthing average over the last 12 months and frankly am surprised they even got the invite to the event.

Depending on how the groups layout, I reckon we may see a Na'vi vs Alliance final.

i bet one of the bet asian teams will be in the final. dont see a west vs. west happening. would love it though!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mouz won the last competitive game yesterday at the Corsair Summer finals with a convincing win over VP. Next match we'll see from these guys will be an all-star game (you can vote on your compendiums) which will be played before the group stages.

Mouz won the last competitive game yesterday at the Corsair Summer finals with a convincing win over VP. Next match we'll see from these guys will be an all-star game (you can vote on your compendiums) which will be played before the group stages.

mouz have some great players but they will never really be tier 1. syndaren is great and all but ban AM and they literally crumble, even during the draft. they are always the team i want to do well but they never quite hold it together. and black is overrated tbh :) poor mans xboct

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

BMMachine wrote: »
    mouz have some great players but they will never really be tier 1. syndaren is great and all but ban AM and they literally crumble, even during the draft. they are always the team i want to do well but they never quite hold it together. and black is overrated tbh :) poor mans xboct

I wouldn't quite say that. Black has a more limited hero pool to be sure, but his decision making is miles better than Xboct. I know people like to **** on Xboct for being the weakest player on Na'Vi, but he is actually a really good carry player that does stupid things from time to time :P

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    I wouldn't quite say that. Black has a more limited hero pool to be sure, but his decision making is miles better than Xboct. I know people like to **** on Xboct for being the weakest player on Na'Vi, but he is actually a really good carry player that does stupid things from time to time :P

dendi thinks hes the best player on the team :p
    black can play safe better for sure but xboct can make things happen. he can get a bit of bloodlust and overplay his hand but nearly every anti-na'vi strategy involves shutting him down early and often. i think burning and zhao are probably the 2 best 1 positions in the world but id put xboct just behind them. maybe loda as well but black is easily the most overrated imo

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Go wan tongfu !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Alliance all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Alliance for me.

I'll be happy if all the russians crumble and humiliate themselves in some fashion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Schedule (We are GMT + 1.):

JiXNiWo.jpg

Current prizepool:

1st - $1,387,310 USD
    2nd - $610,416 USD
    3rd - $277,462 USD
    4th - $194,223 USD
    5th - $110,985 USD
    6th - $110,985 USD
    7th - $41,619 USD
    8th - $41,619 USD

Groups also released:
    4vcglBg.png

Quantic firmly out now. They went awol in the 3rd game. Decisive point in a teamfight where their Sven misclicked and stunned a bear instead. Game was over from that point.

Quantic firmly out now. They went awol in the 3rd game. Decisive point in a teamfight where their Sven misclicked and stunned a ward instead. Game was over from that point.

I didn't know you could stun wards :pac:

Look at this in all it's glory

ioBDjmqYLAHY4.gif

I didn't know you could stun wards :pac:

Look at this in all it's glory

ioBDjmqYLAHY4.gif

Hush you! I don't even know why I said that.

• Advertisement

BQtFgYpCUAAYrm_.jpg

On a more sober note, here's the guys after their defeat. Totally winded and visibly upset. I'd be upset too if I picked such a bad lineup for the last game. They had no stuns. Nothing!

3432a084fbd511e296c422000a9e0891_7.jpg

Prelims start in 15 mins. Na'vi vs Fnatic will be my highlight today.

Watching navi here too! I am prepared with all the girly drinks.

6QXx1p6.jpg

Dropped the girlfriend home after work "I'm going to the gym and meeting the lads" . Blatantly watching DOTA :D

haha! great first game

haha! great first game

Yep, Trixi was brilliant on clock.

Na'vi shat on....

destroyed! lifestealer did 18000 damage that game and didnt die once

told ya! fnatic can upset anyone on their day. HoN players > *

oh and btw, Team Liquid and Dignitas? holy sh1t! americans can still play after all. shaping up to be quite a tournament. IG are looking good though, alliance may have beat them but i have little doubt that they will be shifting gears double quick

• Advertisement

Day one results, certainly interesting.

944745_627449247273714_1562271258_n.png

Advertisement