Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

100 Retro Cartoons to watch before you die!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Here's a few that I think still haven't been mentioned yet. I'm slowly starting to realise that the 90's is now retro too. :(:) - I've included Rugrats cos I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet and even tho it ended in the 00's (or so I read ) I was shocked to realise it started in 1991!

==

Adventures of Superman (1952)

The Dick Tracy Show (1961)

Dodo, the Kid from Outer Space (1965)

Sabrina and the Groovie Goolies (1970)

Spider-Woman (1979)

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (1981)

The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! (1981)

The Incredible Hulk (1982)

Robotix (1985)

Rugrats (1991)

Iron Man (1994)

The Critic (1994)

ReBoot (1994)

Duckman: Private Dick/Family Man (1994)

Extreme Ghostbusters (1997)

Daria (1997)

Dilbert (1999)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Deputy Dawg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

god i adored the animals of farthing wood! (but NOT adar!),

obviously the teenage mutant hero turtles (" HEROS IN A HALF SHELL") haha always got hungry when i saw them with that floppy pizza haha

dont know if it was a series but the film of Rainbow bright! holy crap!, I loved it!

Denis the meace, I loved a bad boy even then!

Bonkers or something... he was a cat and a cop i think, ah whatever it was i cried solidly for a week when it was ended hahaha

god, theres too many actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

Daria was an awful show. Hated it.

I remember Bonkers I think it the cat was a cop in "Toon town" and it was kinda inspired by Roger Rabbit movie.

I assume Spartacus has been mentioned on this thread - I used to have horribke nightmares every time i saw it.

Also remember Tellybugs and The Police Acadamy cartoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Jayce and the wheeled warriors, great show watched it for years but never got to see if he met his father in the end, it also had cracking theme music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

MsLBangs wrote: »
    Love this thread :) Does anyone remember Ivor the engine?
    Yes, Ivor the engine used to be on just before the news at 5.45 i think :confused:

I did'nt see this on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Of the 100 there's only about 14-15 I'd happily watch again, the rest I either never saw or, many of the older Hanna-Barberas, I found a bit tired. Liked the classic Tom & Jerrys for the non-PCness. Didn't really like most of the superhero ones with the exception of the 1990's Batman. Absolute gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

animals of farthing wood
    the moomins
    watership down ( the movie and tv series )
    dragonball z
    ed edd n' eddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Haven't seen it mentioned yet... The Maxx

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112065/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Can anyone remember a Tom And Jerry type cartoon where the cat had a catchphrase "I hate meeces to pieces!",meeces being mice?It might have been Speedy Gonzales but I can't be sure.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Can anyone remember a Tom And Jerry type cartoon where the cat had a catchphrase "I hate meeces to pieces!",meeces being mice?It might have been Speedy Gonzales but I can't be sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixie_and_Dixie_and_Mr._Jinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Wish they had Animals of Farthing Wood on DVD, VHS is the only things I see exist. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

RainMaker wrote: »
    Haven't seen it mentioned yet... The Maxx

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112065/

That program was insane. Can still only remember bits and pieces of it but it was all over the place

Good memories of trying to get my hands on the 3D glasses from TCC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Wish they had Animals of Farthing Wood on DVD, VHS is the only things I see exist. :/

I was looking for the same thing. I got hooked on Farthing Wood one time I was in hospital, God knows what drugs they were giving me! I found dvdrare.com, they have all episodes on dvd €39.55 plus $18.95 shipping. It's a US site. I hope this helps.

madmaggie wrote: »
    I was looking for the same thing. I got hooked on Farthing Wood one time I was in hospital, God knows what drugs they were giving me! I found dvdrare.com, they have all episodes on dvd €39.55 plus $18.95 shipping. It's a US site. I hope this helps.

My wallet hates you for showing me this site

• Registered Users Posts: 2 youngian

Well worth catching is Wait till your Father gets Home from the early 70s. Its a sort of fore runner to the Simpsons and Family Guy; depressed suburban dad failing to understand the world around him including his hippy kids and a mad neighbour who looks like Nixon and has a military militia in his back yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Can anyone help identify this cartoon for me?

I reckon it was out in the late 80s.

And was basically set in asia, where these kids / teenagers were constantly chasing after a Chinese antique ornament of a tower that vaguely looks something like this:

292393.jpg

I think the ornament may have had special powers, and there was bad guys trying to get their hands on it too.

It was quite an elusive item for them to get their hands on, and they spent many episodes trying to get it.

I remember the kids distinctly watching it float away down a stream of water at the end of one episode, possibly in a town or urban area.

It was not an anime style cartoon i definitely dont remember the characters having overly big eyes, and i think it would have been in english, not sure if it was dubbed though.

It may have been on TCC but I'm not entirely sure.

That's my vague recollection of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

The Funky Phantom

1960s Spiderman

1960s Fantastic Four

Betty Boop

Sinbad

Raydeen (PRIMO 70s anime)

Space Ghost (original not talk show)

Kid Frankenstein

Flash Gordon

Josie and the Pussycats (1st incarnation)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

Mighty Max and Biker Mice from Mars were epic!

There were a load of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles spin-offs too, one with sharks and another with insects, don't know the names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

90. Kraftwerk - Autobahn ??

Roger Ramjet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What cartoon is this image from please? Had it on the tip of my tongue for an hour and cant remember:

vq4YtSb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Ruu wrote: »
    What a theme tune!

I don't remember that but the theme tune is good. :)

I love how dramatic some of the theme tunes were in old cartoons.

The Racoons - "Run with us" and Ulysses were two of my favourites.

I also loved "Dogtanian and the three muskehounds" song.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KenjiOdo

Thargor wrote: »
    What cartoon is this image from please? Had it on the tip of my tongue for an hour and cant remember:

vq4YtSb.png

???

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DeirdreMalone

Boris Badenov in the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

"I am part of one of the biggest advertising company's in the country. Dancer, Prancer, Blitzen, and Fink." 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

The first 25 episodes of Berserk (season 1, released back in 1997)

A classic anime if there ever was one!

Advertisement