Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Towns misnamed and landlords oral sources?!

Options
  • 24-09-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I was doing research on the town walls of Athenry and recently I have been told that placenames have been misnamed and that the problem such as Hubert T. Knox (I quote from a person who has researched it) I quote 'would stay with the landed gentry and get an oral source from them. Have academics in early 20th century Ireland got things wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

Danesfield in Moycullen as a placename originated with a landlord misunderstanding what was meant by an Irish language placename. The original name was Gort Uí Lochlainn, meaning the field of O'Loughlin, a surname which originates with the Vikings who were commonly called Danes at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Danesfield in Moycullen as a placename originated with a landlord misunderstanding what was meant by an Irish language placename. The original name was Gort Uí Lochlainn, meaning the field of O'Loughlin, a surname which originates with the Vikings who were commonly called Danes at the time.

Should be pointed out that the surname itself is not of viking origin but the firstname that inspired it is. Even today the name can be found in Scotland in anglisced form Lachlan.
    Ó LOCHLAINN—II—O Loghlan, O Laghlan, O'Loughlan, O'Loughlin, O'Loghlen, Loghlin, Loughlan, Loughlen, Loughlin, Laughlin, &c.; 'descendant of Lochlainn'; the name (1) of a leading family of Cinel Eoghain, more commonly called Mac Lochlainn, which see; and (2) of an ancient and distinguished family in Co. Clare, who took their name from Lochlainn, lord of Corcomroe, in the 10th century. The O'Loghlins and O'Connors originally formed one clan, and ruled over a district co-extensive with the diocese of Kilfenora. This district, which was called Corcomroe from the clan-name of its inhabitants, the Corca Modhruaidh, was afterwards divided into two nearly equal parts between the two families, O'Loghlen ruling over East Corcomroe, which was also called Burren, and O'Connor over West Corcomroe. The O'Loghlens were a powerful family, and retained their rank as lords of Burren down to the reign of Elizabeth. They are still numerous and respectable in Thomond.

The same process also gave rise to surnames such as McAuley (Amhlaoibh == Olaf) and McManus. It wouldn't surprise me if it was same with Doyle. Given that Dougal survives as a personal name even to this day.

Sorry was very badly phrased. Dubhthach is right to point out that it is a Gaelic surname based on a Gaelic first name rather than a Viking surname. Meant it in the sense of the word meaning Vikings.

Not landlord based but Raleigh Row in Galway is translated as Bóithrín na Sliogán (the little road of the shells) I've read that the name was actually Bóithrín na Slingeán which was the name of a pot that travellers used to make.

Advertisement