Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maritime News Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tabnabs wrote: »
    /\/\/\

Looks like such an unsuitable little ship for standby work in bad weather, more like something you'd see in the US Gulf.

I worked offshore supply/Stanby on what I would have considered a small vessel, I would have been cacking myself working on that one. The bridge certainly looks like something you would spot in the US Gulf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Fairplay to the helicopter crews involved in the rescue it was some job in those conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

US Court Orders Watson and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to Stay Away from Whaling Ships

http://gcaptain.com/court-orders-watson-shepherd-conservation/

At last,and about time.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

While I still support the idea of sea shepard I now see watson as tainted seeing as how he fled Germany. I think he could have tangled them up in legal wranglings far better and saved face.
    However the IWC for the most part came together and agreed to stop whaling except for research purposes. Can you (a) honestly tell me all the whales slaughtered are for research in any way shape or form and (b) why no country takes it upon themselves to enforce this agreed regulation. This is where SS stepped in. The general concensus seems to be if its happening in international waters who gives a fck. And its ok for members to hunt in a place they themselves designated a sanctuary? Nuts.
    http://www.iwcoffice.org/sanctuaries
    US Court Orders Watson and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society to Stay Away from Whaling Ships

http://gcaptain.com/court-orders-watson-shepherd-conservation/

At last,and about time.

While I still support the idea of sea shepard I now see watson as tainted seeing as how he fled Germany. I think he could have tangled them up in legal wranglings far better and saved face.
    However the IWC for the most part came together and agreed to stop whaling except for research purposes. Can you (a) honestly tell me all the whales slaughtered are for research in any way shape or form and (b) why no country takes it upon themselves to enforce this agreed regulation. This is where SS stepped in. The general concensus seems to be if its happening in international waters who gives a fck. And its ok for members to hunt in a place they themselves designated a sanctuary? Nuts.
    http://www.iwcoffice.org/sanctuaries

a)If they have a quota of whales to hunt for research,i am sure they do it for that purpose,but if its also sold as whalemeat i cant see the problem either.Pity to let it go to waste.

b)Not every country have taken the steps to agree with it,simply because IWC is the one that gives out the quotas each year for hunting,and IWC was not always right in their numbers.

IWC was founded in 1946,long before watson and sea shepard came into the spotlight,and to manage sustainable hunting of whales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

so in response to (a) if it really is for research how many do they need japan can take 850 or so for research it seems and how long does it need to continue. and (b) this just proves the point of how powerless the iwc is as it sets antartica as a sanctuary and then does nothing to enforce that sanctuary which is where ss came in to try and enforce it. Japan has been seen to help out other countries to get them to vote the way they want in the iwc but even then when something goes againest them they go ahead anyway and nothing is done about it. I am not always a fan of SS tactics but commend them at least for doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what research could you possibly need 850 dead whales each and every year for?

what research could you possibly need 850 dead whales each and every year for?

Same way as you need 100 million other animals in medical research each year:rolleyes:

so in response to (a) if it really is for research how many do they need japan can take 850 or so for research it seems and how long does it need to continue. and (b) this just proves the point of how powerless the iwc is as it sets antartica as a sanctuary and then does nothing to enforce that sanctuary which is where ss came in to try and enforce it. Japan has been seen to help out other countries to get them to vote the way they want in the iwc but even then when something goes againest them they go ahead anyway and nothing is done about it. I am not always a fan of SS tactics but commend them at least for doing something.

You just said it,SS should stay out of it,and let IWC handle it.
    SS is only provoking the Whalers with their so called tactics,to the point where they simply dont give a f..k.
    I am sure you wouldnt like to be on the other end if this was Irish beef they where protesting against.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

You just said it,SS should stay out of it,and let IWC handle it.
    SS is only provoking the Whalers with their so called tactics,to the point where they simply dont give a f..k.
    I am sure you wouldnt like to be on the other end if this was Irish beef they where protesting against.;)

There is no shortage of cows. They weren't considered almost extinct 40 years ago.

• Advertisement

There is no shortage of cows. They weren't considered almost extinct 40 years ago.

And when was the minke whale considered extinct:rolleyes:And did you count the cows,lol

And when was the minke whale considered extinct:rolleyes:And did you count the cows,lol

There has been no accurate data. It is however on the CITES list as Threatened.
    As for the cows, yes.

Just under 6m in ireland alone.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/agriculture/2011/livestock_dec2011.pdf

There has been no accurate data. It is however on the CITES list as Threatened.
    As for the cows, yes.

Just under 6m in ireland alone.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/agriculture/2011/livestock_dec2011.pdf[/QUOTE]

Threathened is not extinct,and 850 whales out of a population of over 500000 whales is not much if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

The basic argument about Paul Watson is he be a rich middle class idiot, who will end up killing 30 odd people, some poor some rich

Protest but do it safely

The basic argument about Paul Watson is he be a rich middle class idiot, who will end up killing 30 odd people, some poor some rich

Protest but do it safely

Or stay at home.and let IWC handle it.

Or stay at home.and let IWC handle it.

or destroy the market for whale meat, like mink coats

Go after the consumers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lets try to keep this thread to news in the main.

The place for the Sea Shephard debate is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056569210

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

how many people are on the bridge of a naval ship at any one time, would one of them not be looking out the window, or at the echo sounder

how many people are on the bridge of a naval ship at any one time, would one of them not be looking out the window, or at the echo sounder

In this case the echo sounder showed -3 meters,lol;):D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When I did a bridge team management course in the NMCI (CIT days) we went out on an INS vessel. It was quite a culture shock from merchant ships where bridge teams were the old man, maybe the 3/0, an AB at the wheel and the cadet to make tea/coffee. On the INS ship it seemed like the entire bloody crew was on the bridge leaving port and I think the cook was reading out depths as we left Cork Harbour... :pac:

But deep sea, you'd run out of paper if the depth sounder was left on continuously...

Modern integrated bridge equipment would probably alarm, but many ships don't have this level of technology I would imagine?

When I did a bridge team management course in the NMCI (CIT days) we went out on an INS vessel. It was quite a culture shock from merchant ships where bridge teams were the old man, maybe the 3/0, an AB at the wheel and the cadet to make tea/coffee. On the INS ship it seemed like the entire bloody crew was on the bridge leaving port and I think the cook was reading out depths as we left Cork Harbour... :pac:

But deep sea, you'd run out of paper if the depth sounder was left on continuously...

Modern integrated bridge equipment would probably alarm, but many ships don't have this level of technology I would imagine?

Don't think the lack of equipment is the problem,it's more the famous human error factor I think.:D

http://www.sperrymarine.com/news/ng-supply-usn-destroyers-advanced-navigation-steering-systems

The Wiki page makes interesting reading.

This would have confirmed my old fells deep seated prejudices about the navigation capabilities of any Navy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Further developments on the USS Guardian, from The Guardian no less!

US navy will dismantle minesweeper stranded on coral reef

The damage to the ship that ran aground in the Philippines is so extensive the vessel will have to be cut up and removed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jan/30/us-navy-dismantle-minesweeper-coral

Could be a bonus in salvage money here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

They would have completed the image by a picture of the Costa Concordia in her prime too!

Emma Maersk has an ingress of water into the engine room and has "terminated" her voyage at Suez.
    http://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/75116

Update:
    Could be a design flaw
    http://www.tradewindsnews.com/casualties/311630/emma-out-for-months?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    The Danish shipping giant has also ordered all seven other E-class ships not use their stern thrusters until investigators discover what caused the incident.

Reports say the engine room of the 15,500-teu Emma Maersk (built 2006) has been left under eighteen metres of water.

Maersk Line’s Head of Ship Management, Palle Laursen, said the investigation into the incident was still ongoing, and that repairs will take time.

• Advertisement

Could be that they are just too big.

Advertisement