Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That Irish based Russian economist who used to pop up a lot on panel discussions during the Boom years, Tonight With Vincent Browne etc. What was his name? Feeling he moved abroad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantin_Gurdgiev

Still blogging about Ireland but not sure if he's still active here in media or just money managing:
    https://trueeconomics.blogspot.com/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 davekim

Sinéad O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Saw an article a few days ago, saying that she's training as an, end of life counsellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Water John wrote: »
    Saw an article a few days ago, saying that she's training as an, end of life counsellor.

I think this was a joke.

The one person who never disappears from public view is Sinead O'Connor. She does like to keep herself mentioned, even if it's not for the best of reasons.

She's such a wonderful singer, I just wish her well.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    She's such a wonderful singer, I just wish her well.

She didn't manage her voice, in my opinion. You can hear the toll cigarettes (and other things) have taken on her voice.

Can't hit the notes, often struggles to do so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think this was a joke.

The one person who never disappears from public view is Sinead O'Connor. She does like to keep herself mentioned, even if it's not for the best of reasons.

She seemed quite sincere about it when talking to Tubridy. That said, she also talked about being a trained medium....

And then there's the priest timespan.

L1011 wrote: »
    She seemed quite sincere about it when talking to Tubridy. That said, she also talked about being a trained medium....

And then there's the priest timespan.

She always seems 'sincere'... but then you look at the timeline.

As you mention, sincere about the priesthood. She was also sincere about her music career (until she infamously mucked that up). She was sincere about being a 'Rastafarian'... (Her 'I've always been a muslim' speech is very similar to her 'I've always been a rastafarian' speech).

Or the time she was sincere about ending her own life, until folks discovered she was evading a tax bill that was nearly 170 000 euros. Sincere about Arsenio selling drugs to PRince, until she was threatened with a lawsuit.

Or her 'shortest marriage ever'... when she married some idiot drugs counsellor, then spent the rest of the wedding night trying score Cannabis.

Media loves to give her attention, even if it's for passing gas in a different tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hes probably been already mentioned but Dave Heffernan was one of the RTE young guns of the late 70s/early 80s along with Jerry Ryan, Dave Fanning, Aongus MacAnally etc but unlike a lot of his contemporaries hes pretty much faded from the public memory. Presume he still works in media behind the scenes, cant remember when I last saw him onscreen.

Think he's a producer in RTE.

• Advertisement

Does Vincent O'Shea turn up on TV anymore?

He presented the weather for a short time, but predicted it spectacularly wrong for an entire week + (do doubt, Met Eireann's info was wrong, but he was the figurehead.), during tillage season in a hectic summer. Many, many, many angry calls later, from farmers, fishermen, and people who rely on the good harvest came in.
    Suddenly Vincent disappeared, was only seen on the rarest occasion after that. And I mean rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

She always seems 'sincere'... but then you look at the timeline.

If you want to suffer in life ..... try keeping a schizophrenic around. There is always a new project. hi high and lo lows. Break your heart. they will sap your time and energy. If you ever can make a break with them just do it. I really feel sorry for anyone else that is around one.

If you want to suffer in life ..... try keeping a schizophrenic around. There is always a new project. hi high and lo lows. Break your heart. they will sap your time and energy. If you ever can make a break with them just do it. I really feel sorry for anyone else that is around one.

That's a harsh view, but I understand it.

Have a friend who's bipolar (I myself got 'lucky'... I have mental health issues, but not bipolar disorder or schizophrenia). I know when he's gotten the wrong medication, or isn't taking his meds, because he'll come out with ludicrous ideas that are beyond faniciful.
    (Plans to be a DJ, plans to release a hit single and he's gonna get a friend of ours to play guitar on it, needs a music video so someone he knows will make that for him. One time, he knew I was having issues with my landlord, and then weeks later he wanted to come visit and hang out for a week or so. Between my landlord, and my job, that wasn't gonna happen. Other times he's going into politics, etc etc. He's pretty solid when he's on his medication, tho. But I know when he's having an episode.) But he doesn't deny his illness.

The problem with Sinead is she tells people she doesn't have mental health issues. She won't take her meds.
    Folks were telling people to lay off of Kanye when he had an episode with his bipolar disorder.
    With Sinead, the media herald her as a feminist icon. :/

That's a harsh view, but I understand it.

Have a friend who's bipolar (I myself got 'lucky'... I have mental health issues, but not bipolar disorder or schizophrenia). I know when he's gotten the wrong medication, or isn't taking his meds, because he'll come out with ludicrous ideas that are beyond faniciful.
    (Plans to be a DJ, plans to release a hit single and he's gonna get a friend of ours to play guitar on it, needs a music video so someone he knows will make that for him. One time, he knew I was having issues with my landlord, and then weeks later he wanted to come visit and hang out for a week or so. Between my landlord, and my job, that wasn't gonna happen. Other times he's going into politics, etc etc. He's pretty solid when he's on his medication, tho. But I know when he's having an episode.) But he doesn't deny his illness.

The problem with Sinead is she tells people she doesn't have mental health issues. She won't take her meds.
    Folks were telling people to lay off of Kanye when he had an episode with his bipolar disorder.
    With Sinead, the media herald her as a feminist icon. :/

Yeah yeah heard it all before. My friend was off fighting with the French Foreign Legion the week before university end of years exams. He is always bang on about market trends but quotes ridiculous prices at either end.

Kanye West is a different kettle of fish. He roots himself in real political controversy while his Mrs is in and out to the White House. Sinead wanting a national headlice week is just Sinead just having a bad week. The Media is partially to blame because she is good fodder for Journalists tabloids. Any time you are having a dry week, lets check in and see what Sinead is at?

Mental health problems like Schizophrenia get worse over time, as they are degenerative diseases and shocks (losing family members, homelessness etc etc) make bad situations worse. BiPolar, not that it gets worse but the number of life issues mount up over time (losing friends, accommodation and employment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

Danann Breathnach

Louise Loughman

She's a Journalist now, apparently. Last I saw of her was a few years ago on Virgin Media News. Her daughter was in the children's hospital, and players from the GAA, Rugby and Football were visiting the children there.

She got married to a Stephen Byrne fellow.
    Danann Breathnach

MV5BOTU3MjI4MmEtNWNhNi00ZmNmLTkzNTEtZGRjNGY1ZmVlZWU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3ODEyMjg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

He had a bit of a glow up, as they say. Went from a nerdy type, to practicing his smoulder. Anyways, he works more behind the scenes now. He's a photographer and filmmaker now.
    Works in advertising, has worked on campaigns for Dove, among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Danann Breathnach

I forgot about him, he was everywhere for a while

Not sure happened to the other guy who was in this MTV clip with him (he did another one where he goes "Ooh, look- Danann from MTV over there ... big star ....")

Danann was the Eoghan McDermott of 2001.

Danann was the Eoghan McDermott of 2001.

The difference being Danann got poached by MTV and went to the UK, then expanded his business into behind the scenes. The real money is in production.

You can't give Eoghann away. He 'threatens' to leave (the graver threat being him staying) and then acts like a brat who's 14 (rather than the manchild who's closer to 40, than he is to 18).

Danann was grand, really. He had legit talent, directing shorts and producing even during his time at MTV, he was working on side projects.

Ya can't give Eoghann away. (Needs repeating).

Whatever happened to Liam McCormack ?

• Advertisement

Whatever happened to Liam McCormack ?

http://www.tributebands.ie/pump-up-the-jam-nineties-tribute/

Kinda sad, tbh.

That website looks like its actually from the 90s.

Not Kind..... definitely. Better to fade out with dignity than rust out.

Not Kind..... definitely. Better to fade out with dignity than rust out.

Yep...

They have their own website... its just as bad.

https://www.pumpupthejamband.com/

On the plus side, you can book em for weddings... Why you would, is beyond me.

Kinda shows you how turbulent TV presenting and media is in general. Definitely not a stable job. I suppose he has to pay the bills somehow.

Yep...

They have their own website... its just as bad.

https://www.pumpupthejamband.com/

On the plus side, you can book em for weddings... Why you would, is beyond me.

Kinda shows you how turbulent TV presenting and media is in general. Definitely not a stable job. I suppose he has to pay the bills somehow.

You remember Nidge in Love/Hate? "You dont want your wedding to be Poxy in the Red Cow?". That is the sort of band you would be hiring for that sort of a wedding.

Remember there is a market and a niche for everything!!

Siobhan Cleary, used to present Checkup.

Siobhan Cleary, used to present Checkup.

Out in Minnesota with her husband. She's an executive coach.

Mary Fitzgerald from Anything Goes!!!
    Oh be still my 4 year old heat I wanted to marry her back then.
    Make and do with Mary!!!
    029_3cc01043bff4cb063f7e6445f05b2d094d8808ea.jpg

Mary Fitzgerald from Anything Goes!!!
    Oh be still my 4 year old heat I wanted to marry her back then.
    Make and do with Mary!!!

Didn't she pop up on the radio with Sean O'Rourke, before he retired I mean.

• Advertisement

Didn't she pop up on the radio with Sean O'Rourke, before he retired I mean.

Could have I dont listen to Radio or watch RTE anymore.

Advertisement