Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much football does your OH watch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

skallywag wrote: »
    At the risk of saying something on-topic and moving away from the bitching ....

Sounds like this really has Shocked/Outraged you OP? I'm sorry to hear that.

Some food for thought, if the team which I support is playing then my OH will be in the same position.

In fact, last weekend she took our kid, and a friend, out for a few hours while I stayed at home and watched football.

Does this really horrify you? Am I a bad father? :confused:

Doesn’t shock or horrify me as it’s not the first time I’ve come across this and it doesn’t make you a bad father either it’s just have your priorities mixed up and gives an insight into the type of person you are. .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Doesn’t shock or horrify me as it’s not the first time I’ve come across this and it doesn’t make you a bad father either it’s just have your priorities mixed up and gives an insight into the type of person you are. .

Having a hobby and an interest means you have your priorities mixed up? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I take it you have no kids? Any sane person would relish a few hours without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

meeeeh wrote: »
    I take it you have no kids? Any sane person would relish a few hours without them.

Exactly!

I'm really unsure as to what "type of person" i am, if i bring my child with me to the match but leave the OH (when i had one!) at home....! Where do my priorities lie in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Say his wife wanted to spend a few hours out with friends and he stayed home with their child, and the match was on tv.

Does his wife have her priorities mixed up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I am a sports addict so the more sport my OH watches the better.

Having a hobby and an interest means you have your priorities mixed up? Wow.

If it’s such a hobby why don’t you play it instead of watching someone else do it.
    Hobby, past time, whatever you want to call it go ahead knock yourself out but do you ever consider the amount of time and energy you spend watching a team you have no association with kick a ball around a field? I’m convinced that people have such a void in their lives that the full it with sports, social media and reality tv.

Cue people who are now going to tell me their connection to UK football teams in attempt to justify their irrational behaviour.

Yeah but if people didn't watch sports, soaps, reality TV or spend time on social media they would have too much time to be judgemental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If it’s such a hobby why don’t you play it instead of watching someone else do it.
    Hobby, past time, whatever you want to call it go ahead knock yourself out but do you ever consider the amount of time and energy you spend watching a team you have no association with kick a ball around a field? I’m convinced that people have such a void in their lives that the full it with sports, social media and reality tv.

Cue people who are now going to tell me their connection to UK football teams in attempt to justify their irrational behaviour.

What do you do for fun, or are your hobbies and interests superior to everyone else’s?

Yeah but if people didn't watch sports, soaps, reality TV or spend time on social media they would have too much time to be judgemental.

Or they could have more sex which from reading this thread clearly not enough people are doing. I would hazard a guess that there is a correlation between the people whose husbands spend large amounts of time following sports and low levels of sex. Seriously, I think that people are trying to fill these voids in their lives with sports and reality tv and shopping and consumerism because they can’t bear the thought of spending time with their OH never mind being intimate with them, so people come up with all these excuses of “I need to have a hobby” or “you obviously don’t have kids”. Why are people blaming their kids for spending inordinate amounts of time on watching grown men chase a ball around a field.

• Advertisement

Or they could have more sex which from reading this thread clearly not enough people are doing. I would hazard a guess that there is a correlation between the people whose husbands spend large amounts of time following sports and low levels of sex. Seriously, I think that people are trying to fill these voids in their lives with sports and reality tv and shopping and consumerism because they can’t bear the thought of spending time with their OH never mind being intimate with them, so people come up with all these excuses of “I need to have a hobby” or “you obviously don’t have kids”. Why are people blaming their kids for spending inordinate amounts of time on watching grown men chase a ball around a field.

Your attitude is frankly bizarre.
    It is universally agreed by psychologists worldwide that having hobbies and interests are vital when it comes to improving mental well-being and managing stress.
    It’s healthy and should be encouraged. Just because you have a superiority complex and look down on what other people choose to do to wind down doesn’t make it wrong and doesn’t mean they are ‘trying to fill a void’.

Your attitude is really patronizing and judgmental. Perhaps you should look inwardly at that instead of making unfounded statements about people who enjoy watching an innocent game of ball for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

From a lads prospective I love the football and fantasy football. I can see how it might seem bizarre from an outside perspective but the thing that makes the premiership amazing is that it is much more than any one individual match. Its essentially a 9-10 month race and every week the table is shifting. There is weekly drama and a whole load of sub-plots. There are teams trying to win, teams just scraping to stay up. Lots of characters, fallouts, amazing stories. There is a continuity in all that that lots of fans enjoy.

Sure it’s not rational or productive but everyone deserves a little escapism after a hard week. My missus watches all sorts of dross such as love island and the kardashians but fair play to her. If you are getting upset because you can’t hack your boyfriend/husband spending a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon without giving you his undivided attention then you have a big problem.

As a caveat to the above: obviously if your fella is completely ignoring you and spending hours on end watching football he needs to sort himself out.

Another thing while I’m making a list: people are perfectly entitled to choose a team to support regardless of where they live. There seems to be quite a few people who have an issue with this for some reason.

Whatever you do don't go into psychology...

Whatever you do don't go into psychology...

Why, did I cut too close to the bone?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Your attitude is frankly bizarre.
    It is universally agreed by psychologists worldwide that having hobbies and interests are vital when it comes to improving mental well-being and managing stress.
    It’s healthy and should be encouraged. Just because you have a superiority complex and look down on what other people choose to do to wind down doesn’t make it wrong and doesn’t mean they are ‘trying to fill a void’.

Your attitude is really patronizing and judgmental. Perhaps you should look inwardly at that instead of making unfounded statements about people who enjoy watching an innocent game of ball for fun.

Lying on your sofa watching football for 3 hours is not a hobby. Neither is watching reality tv.

Me thinks you protest too much.

Lying on your sofa watching football for 3 hours is not a hobby. Neither is watching reality tv.

Me thinks you protest too much.

And sorry, who made you the deciding authority on that matter?

Methinks you should get your own hobby instead of spending all your time analysing and judging what everyone else gets up to for fun.

CageWager wrote: »
    From a lads prospective I love the football and fantasy football. I can see how it might seem bizarre from an outside perspective but the thing that makes the premiership amazing is that it is much more than any one individual match. Its essentially a 9-10 month race and every week the table is shifting. There is weekly drama and a whole load of sub-plots. There are teams trying to win, teams just scraping to stay up. Lots of characters, fallouts, amazing stories. There is a continuity in all that that lots of fans enjoy.

Sure it’s not rational or productive but everyone deserves a little escapism after a hard week. My missus watches all sorts of dross such as love island and the kardashians but fair play to her. If you are getting upset because you can’t hack your boyfriend/husband spending a couple hours on a Saturday afternoon without giving you his undivided attention then you have a big problem.

As a caveat to the above: obviously if your fella is completely ignoring you and spending hours on end watching football he needs to sort himself out.

Another thing while I’m making a list: people are perfectly entitled to choose a team to support regardless of where they live. There seems to be quite a few people who have an issue with this for some reason.

Football, fantasy football, love island, the Kardashian’s, “my missus”. Sounds like you’re made for one another.

So why did you decide to support a UK team rather than say Shamrock Rovers or was it just whatever marketing ploy or football jersey that was in fashion that year?

Football, fantasy football, live island, the Kardashian’s’ “my missus”. Sounds like you’re made for one another.

You sound like a really nasty, bitter, judgmental person. That person took time out of their day to reply to you and instead of being courteous (as they were to you), you just scoffed and looked down your nose at them.
    Pathetic.

And sorry, who made you the deciding authority on that matter?

Methinks you should get your own hobby instead of spending all your time analysing and judging what everyone else gets up to for fun.

Next up, scrolling through Facebook posts is now considered a hobby.

Do I really need to explain that to you?

I don't mind good trolling but your attempts at being condescending are very amateurish.

Anyway by coincidence you actually started an interesting enough thread but managed to kill it because you weren't getting enough attention for yourself. Pity.

• Advertisement

What about scrolling through Boards? Is that better or worse than scrolling through Facebook?

You don’t need to explain anything to me. Your attitude is telling me all I need to know here.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Football, fantasy football, love island, the Kardashian’s, “my missus”. Sounds like you’re made for one another.

Delightful
    So why did you decide to support a UK team rather than say Shamrock Rovers or was it just whatever marketing ploy or football jersey that was in fashion that year?

The top professional league in the world happens to be in England. People who enjoy a sport tend to gravitate towards this pinnacle of the game. There are no golf majors played in Ireland - does that mean we should not watch the Masters? Aside from all that, most people are kids when they start supporting a team and they often support the same team as their dad.

What about scrolling through Boards? Is that better or worse than scrolling through Facebook?

You don’t need to explain anything to me. Your attitude is telling me all I need to know here.

But I don’t consider that a hobby whereas you do.

CageWager wrote: »
    Delightful

The top professional league in the world happens to be in England. People who enjoy a sport tend to gravitate towards this pinnacle of the game. There are no golf majors played in Ireland - does that mean we should not watch the Masters? Aside from all that, most people are kids when they start supporting a team and they often support the same team as their dad.

Heard that excuse before. If that were the case why don’t Danish and Dutch people support the EPL.

I don't mind good trolling but your attempts at being condescending are very amateurish.

Anyway by coincidence you actually started an interesting enough thread but managed to kill it because you weren't getting enough attention for yourself. Pity.

Well then continue the thread instead of launching ad hominem attack’s on me.

I’m sure there are women on here who don’t like or appreciate the amount of time their oh spends watching it following football but refusing to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Is it alright if its a LoI team so? If the person chooses to head to the local games and leave their OH at home? What if they bring their OH/kids with them, is it still a problem? I'm not entirely sure where your issue lies because you keep throwing in different issues. Is it only a problem when its a man watching UK teams without the kids and the wife?

But I don’t consider that a hobby whereas you do.

If you don't get enjoyment from it then why are you even here? Why would you spend your precious free time doing something you don't even like?

You're a complete hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Lol at the trolling. But hey I’ll bite.

I don’t watch soccer, like I’ve said earlier. I enjoy following American Football. To me, it’s like watching violent chess. It’s quite a cerebral game but I know a lot of people won’t see it that way.

I have many other hobbies too. Most of which I share with my wife. She also has hobbies that I don’t share, and vice versa. I don’t freak out when she goes to dance rehearsal, and she doesn’t freak out when I spend the afternoon playing video games. It doesn’t bother me if she wants to spend time researching vintage style and it doesn’t bother her when I loose an evening to figuring out the best type of sewing patterns.

It’s called having independence but as a couple. We don’t have kids, and we won’t, so that’s not an issue. But I learned from my parents that every successful relationship has to have independence as a core. My folks used to take separate holidays to spend on their hobbies when we were little, as well as together as a family. My mother no more wanted to go on a photography break than my Dad wanted to spend a weekend painting by a lake. But they had a successful relationship for 40+ years because when they did spend time together they had something to talk about with each other. They had passions.

If you don't get enjoyment from it then why are you even here? Why would you spend your precious free time doing something you don't even like?

You're a complete hypocrite.

I’m enjoying reading this as you unravel your emotions all over this thread. Seems that you are the one who is not enjoying yourself so why are you even here? Did I hit a nerve, do you resent the amount of time your OH spends watching sport and you pretend to grin and bear it and say “oh look at me I like sports too”

Why you mad?

• Advertisement

I’m enjoying reading this as you unravel your emotions all over this thread. Seems that you are the one who is not enjoying yourself so why are you even here? Did I hit a nerve, do you resent the amount of time your OH spends watching sport and you pretend to grin and bear it and say “oh look at me I like sports too”

Why you mad?

No, I accept that individuals can have different interests and hobbies and I think that independantly enjoying and pursuing those should be encouraged, even if you are married or are in a relationship.

What one person might find enjoyable and fulfilling, might have another bored to tears and disinterested. That doesn't make one thing better or more superior than the other.

You don't have to be joined at the hip and like all of the same things to have a successful relationship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement