Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The decline continues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Inm going behind a pay wall?

Good luck to them.

Yeah, paywall early next year apparently. Equally struggle to see how it can succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

JTMan wrote: »
    Yeah, paywall early next year apparently. Equally struggle to see how it can succeed.

Looking at some of their content, I'd nearly want payment for reading it, never mind a paywall.

More consolidation in the regional newspaper sector, as Iconic Newspapers are in advanced talks to acquire the Munster Express.

Consolidation and cost cutting is the name of the game.

The Munster Express have being generating large losses ...
    Its latest accounts, for 2018, show a near €100,000 deficit in its balance sheet, accumulated losses of €850,000 and short-term bank debts of €540,000. It employed an average of 13 staff last year.

INM are to shut their CityWest print plant.

I think most people saw that coming but the fact that Irish Times have not won the contract is unusual. The print contract is going to be given a mix of 3rd party companies and use their smaller Newry plant.
    INM says it will also break up some of its printing requirements into smaller contracts for third-party printing companies. It is understood that The Irish Times, which also operates a printing plant in Citywest close to the INM facility, is highly unlikely to take on any of the work.

Talks between INM and The Irish Times over a potential printing arrangement were held earlier this year, but are understood to have petered out. Management at The Irish Times declined to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

INM are to shut their CityWest print plant.

I think most people saw that coming but the fact that Irish Times have not won the contract is unusual. The print contract is going to be given a mix of 3rd party companies and use their smaller Newry plant.

Newry, isn't the smallest plant in the world - relative to whats needed now. Celtic might pick up a bit. WebPrint in Cork as well - although the distribution equation might have to be tweaked.

There was an amazing bit on Drivetime where it was 'explained' that voluntary sev was offered to 1/3 of the plant earlier this year. 2/3 put in an application! So they thought if that many what out, well you know what lets do that and shut the plant down!

There's a few out there, well paid and skilled - but in a very specific craft (a few would have come through a print apprenticeship) - they will have no/little 'transferable skills' outside a print plant.

More nails for the undertakers.....

• Advertisement

IRE60 wrote: »
    Newry, isn't the smallest plant in the world - relative to whats needed now. Celtic might pick up a bit. WebPrint in Cork as well - although the distribution equation might have to be tweaked.

WebPrint have been mentioned in reports but Celtic have not. Celtic need a deal like this after the loss of the Mirror contract. It surely makes distribution less streamlined if INM are using multiple printers.

The Irish Times are speculating, the obvious, that this is far from the end of the cuts.

Telegraph has been put up for sale. DMG Media cited as a potential suitor.

SBP bought Irish Studio - huge amount of brands - perhaps a little 'last week's

https://irishstudio.com/brands

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just the print assets I believe. Brave move to double down on print at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

SBP bought Irish Studio - huge amount of brands - perhaps a little 'last week's

https://irishstudio.com/brands
    Remember when Irish Central bought World Irish (the dotbomb idea to have a Facebook for Irish people but without any clue about how to do it and technologically ignorant rubbish about building a web directory by people who had never built one which didn't even make it out of the starting gate.). Then again, the Irish Times decided to sell/lease ireland.com and lose the biggest Irish category killer domain name.

Some nice brands that could be appicised but the magazine market is a tough one.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Just the print assets I believe. Brave move to double down on print at this stage.

Scale and economy of scale in the name of the game but scale will only give legacy old media print titles a slight extension in remaining life.

I bet kilcullen will lose his shirt on this gamble. He seems to be away with the fairies, as noted earlier in this thread, with his pie in the sky aspirations to target the SBP to a global audience. Also, his belief that these magazines will have a digital future is again away with the fairies, digital magazines, apart from a small number of exceptions are not selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Scale and economy of scale in the name of the game but scale will only give legacy old media print titles a slight extension in remaining life.

I bet kilcullen will lose his shirt on this gamble. He seems to be away with the fairies, as noted earlier in this thread, with his pie in the sky aspirations to target the SBP to a global audience. Also, his belief that these magazines will have a digital future is again away with the fairies, digital magazines, apart from a small number of exceptions are not selling.

The SBP is going downhill fast as well

Gekko wrote: »
    The SBP is going downhill fast as well
    Finding out that Ireland is a small market when it comes to niche digital publishing? Or just declining in terms of quality and reporting with more Op-Ed bloviating than reporting?

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Finding out that Ireland is a small market when it comes to niche digital publishing? Or just declining in terms of quality and reporting with more Op-Ed bloviating than reporting?

Regards...jmcc

The latter

The former true also, and latter will accelerate decline

October ABC UK newspapers in Ireland stats are out and are here.

Market down 12% YoY. The decline continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The decline has me out. What was once 100% of my work (newspaper advertising) is now less than 1% of my work. Fortunately I kept up-skilling and retained old skills that are still relevant.

On the plus side... no more late nights getting retail newspaper ads over the line. Particularly this time of the year.

Oh John_Rambo - our paths possibly crossed! Yes, getting blood from a stone around Christmas and the ****ing ever changing deadline/publishing dates.

On a more telling note Sebastian Hamilton group Ed of the Mail here took redundancy! Has he the 'seeing eye'!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Oh John_Rambo - our paths possibly crossed! Yes, getting blood from a stone around Christmas and the ****ing ever changing deadline/publishing dates.

On a more telling note Sebastian Hamilton group Ed of the Mail here took redundancy! Has he the 'seeing eye'!

Irish daily circulation down near 25K. He must have asked himself, as Kenneth Williams did at the end of his last diary, what's the bloody point?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm sure they have... I was at the hard end of it with food retailers outpricing each other. I designed for multiple retailers and I'd submit the ads for the Sunday newspapers only to go in on a Saturday to reduce the price of a bottle of Vodka by 1c. Ego changes, that had nothing to do with profit...

Then there were the Sunday magazines that went out with the papers. I'm actually getting a headache thinking about it.

My current clients were amazed that I'd make changes within the hour and was told by one of them I was reducing my daily price by making rapid changes and to hold off and not react so quickly!!! Institutionalised idiot!!!

Just finishing writing book on gTLD (.COM etc) domain names and web usage. The Irish Times actually made it into the book in a good way. It apparently bought the ireland.com domain name in 1997 for £10,000 (thought the price was closer to $7000) and sold it in 2012 for 450,000 Euro. Might need a few more sales like that to pay for the MyHome.ie thing but otherwise, the whole online business seems to have cost it millions. The Indo seems to be pulling everything behind a prototype paywall. Its new owners are going to have to do a lot of because it wasn't designed with Information Architecture in mind and archive copies tends to be a nice little earner for publications.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    My current clients were amazed that I'd make changes within the hour and was told by one of them I was reducing my daily price by making rapid changes and to hold off and not react so quickly!!! Institutionalised idiot!!!

My wife calls it the 'immediacy disease'! You become very reactionary as oppose to passive, still cant understand the 'manana' long finger approach to things in some quarters.

Washington Post article here on the ongoing decline of local newspapers in the US.

Washington Post article here on the ongoing decline of local newspapers in the US.

Thanks - good summary. The Newman lab article mentioned in that story is well worth a read - interesting business in the background applauding and profiting on the decline.

Business post has a new look - not a massive departure from the last.....

Quite a few people I know have ended their subscriptions / given up reading it in the last while

Not sure the new strategy is going to work

Might be the last gasp...

Newspapers always seem to do a redesign when they are losing readers. Looked at the other day but the rate at which business news changes means that the long-form journalism is a lot more difficult to sell these days and there's a generation maturing that's been effectively brought up with clickbait churnalism.

The attention span has been shortened due to the Internet and it has probably caused problems with people being able to focus enough to read long articles. As a publication, the SBP might be better suited to a "Daily Me" format on the web or via e-mail. The problem with that kind of approach is that it immediately limits the amount of advertising that can be sold because it is fracturing an already small market.

Regards...jmcc

November 2019 ABC stats are out. UK numbers here. UK in Ireland numbers here.

12% YoY decline. The decline continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

December 2019 ABC newspaper circulation in the UK numbers are out. Uk newspaper in Ireland stats here. Uk stats here. Morning UK newspapers in Ireland down a whopping 16%.

Shockingly The Telegraph have decided, to pull out of being ABC audited post December 2019. The move has been criticised by advertising groups.

• Advertisement

December 2019 ABC newspaper circulation in the UK numbers are out. Uk newspaper in Ireland stats here. Uk stats here. Morning UK newspapers in Ireland down a whopping 16%.

Shockingly The Telegraph have decided, to pull out of being ABC audited post December 2019. The move has been criticised by advertising groups.
    I did mean to comment! Yea, the latest figures are very concerning. The 12m rolling average of the Daily titles is falling off a cliff. Madness.

The Telegraph I think will kick off a few more papers to drop out as well and if enough of them go the ABC audit will be a busted flush – nobody will want it.

Daily Telegraph salles 317,817 a day and the Sunday 248,288, but one site, similarweb.com, estimated that their website got 65m visitors in December 2019! So,
    It shows where they feel their priorities should be focused

Advertisement