Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Beautiful spring morning. Loving this. Can’t even contemplate a return to talk of cold weather or white bloody gold!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

chill and still out here.. March clearly intending to go out like a lamb after the leonine gales at the start. blissfully quiet and light early to go a walking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely sunny morning in Kildare. 10c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

A mix of sun and cloud in Dublin 8, currently more cloud than sun but looking at the satellite imagery, it would suggest that is about to change. We're at that time of the morning the fair weather Cu will begin to develop, if it is indeed going to develop. So will know within the hour if it's looking like a mainly sunny day or a sunny spells kind of day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nice mild and dry morning. Enjoy it will it lasts, much cooler from this weekend and feeling more like January next week with daytime temperatures in the mid to high single digits for much of the first week of April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely in Cork City. Blue skies again and can feel the warmth when sitting in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nice and mild weather in Dublin today. People (not referring to here) are overreacting about the mild weather as usual. It is mild but I've been hearing "very hot" and "since when did 15c happen in Ireland?" being thrown around. Come on...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

We look to be missing out on next week's "northerly" with the latest updates this morning as high pressure is further in over us and the trough sets up over Scandinavia instead of the east of the UK. See what this evening's models have to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sryanbruen wrote: »
    We look to be missing out on next week's "northerly" with the latest updates this morning as high pressure is further in over us and the trough sets up over Scandinavia instead of the east of the UK. See what this evening's models have to offer.

oh that's lovely news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

This whole winter the cold has been downgraded the closer we've got to the event.

Nice to see it pay off in our favour for once!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

compsys wrote: »
    This whole winter the cold has been downgraded the closer we've got to the event.

Nice to see it pay off in our favour for once!

Yes but when we (or at least the majority of us) don`t want cold weather conditions may be just the time when the charts verify. Let`s wait and see what the next few models show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Were any models onboard other than the GFS/GFSP? I think the ECM was showing a watered down version and even a cool easterly at some point.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Were any models onboard other than the GFS/GFSP? I think the ECM was showing a watered down version and even a cool easterly at some point.

I was never on board with it personally thus why I'm only mentioning it now.

ECM was showing it at one point but 850hPa temps going down as low as -4 to -5c at the minimum point compared to the GFS going over the top with -10 or lower 850hPa temps which is a bit unrealistic especially at this time of year and in this day and age. I don't give the GFSP any light anymore as it has been established that it has some sort of cold bias.

Such an April northerly which the ECM showed has a return period of around 3-4 years approximately showing it's nothing unusual. We had a similar northerly even as recently as April 2016 and April 2017 - both of them were in the second half of the month compared to the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It looks like it be will a cool April overall. A northerly in April is not unusual, but the days of a potent northerly seem few and far between... due to what's happening in the Arctic.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Any idea what the winds and temperatures will be like mid-week for Donegal area? Have to take a group kayaking!

It looks like it be will a cool April overall. A northerly in April is not unusual, but the days of a potent northerly seem few and far between... due to what's happening in the Arctic.

Ah don't say that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

If a good summer follows, I don't care much. Could even cope with a cool May. Cool weather in April and May can produce some spectacular showers though, if the cold air is deep, as solar radiation is getting fairly high in late Spring as increasing levels of energy heat the surface.

In summary, I want spectacular thunderstorms in April and May, then hot and sunny weather from June till September inclusive, with a few spectacular lightning shows each month, with the majority in the late evening as dusk approaches..... At least I'm not asking for much!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking like a beautiful day tomorrow, plenty of sunshine and temperatures responding. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 17c somewhere.

27-580UK.GIF?27-12

It was a gorgeous evening, perfect for a nice walk.

https://twitter.com/photographywx/status/1111009108440858631?s=21

Any idea what the winds and temperatures will be like mid-week for Donegal area? Have to take a group kayaking!

Current thoughts:

Tuesday and Wednesday look to be cool days with maximum temperatures below average for early April. Afternoon values likely to reach only 8/9c at best. There is the chance of the odd shower but depending on how far east the high exerts influence, this shower risk could be there or non-existent. Some sunny spells nevertheless with winds from a northwesterly quarter.

Thursday likely to be relatively milder but also cloudier with the chance of drizzle in thickest cloud. Rain spreading southwards through the afternoon with brighter conditions appearing later on but cooler again. Afternoon highs perhaps up to 11c in Donegal.

These thoughts are prone to changes depending on the timing of pressure systems but this is the current outlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Certainly looks a cool April now with wintry showers also likely at times.

No potency though so snow likely on hill tops and probably a lot of sun in between making for some beautiful colours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yeah cool April's usually mean plenty of sunshine and showers and great convective cloudscapes, that'd do nicely after months of gloomy dead skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

IT IS COLD OUT THERE!

Just stuck my face out briefly and back in again... a chill breeze.

But it was bright at least, and hoping it warms up later.

No frost as I had omitted to cover/bring in my seedlings and they seem fine

But quiet, which after gales etc is a blessing and valued

Beautiful morning in Dublin with clear blue skies.

Beautiful morning in Dublin with clear blue skies.

really warm already in that sun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A beautiful morning in Castlebar, unbroken blue skies and close to 14C already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This cold snap for early April, any indication on how long it will last. Have a fishing trip planned from the 10th to the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Really warm and sunny in Dundalk, cool up to yesterday.

stroll around IFSC almost melted me - amazing the effect sun reflecting off polished glass has... like standing under two suns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

Could tip 18c in Dublin today

Advertisement