Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Late Feb/ Early March Technical Discussion only MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Really only if there is a sudden thaw due to a sudden warm surge. If the temps only gradually climb after this spell, then flooding may not be much of an issue.

Strangely though on St. Stephens Day 2010, over a foot of snow vanished in a few hours without any flooding. Add to that probably 2-3 foot in the Dublin mountains draining into the streams and rivers around here too. No problems at all.

It was probably due to the extremely dry nature of the snow that fell, with water ratios probably around 20:1 at least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

JUST HAD TO REMOVE A LOAD OF OFF TOPIC POSTS SO WILL POST THIS UP AGAIN

Well it looks like we are set for quite the cold spell :D:D:D

This forum gets extremely busy during these weather events and for the most parts the thread are really enjoyable and you will garner lots of knowledge.

Although before you start posting we would like to summarise a few house rules here :
    1. During weather events we take zero tolerance approach to trolling or bickering. Cards, warnings and/or bans from the forum will be handed out as appropriate. It gets so busy that this is the only option we have.
    2. Please don't quote images or charts in your replies.
    3. If you feel someone is trying to cause trouble, please use the Report Post function and let the Mod Team deal with it. Don't respond/react on-thread and further derail it.
    4. PLEASE don't repeatedly ask will it snow in your backyard - read the thread.
    5. If you post pictures that are not your own from Facebook or Twitter, you must follow these guidelines:
    • All Images taken from Twitter must always be embedded using the URL as in this example https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=1039
    • You cannot copy and paste images from Twitter and post them on Boards.ie.
    • With Facebook, you need the creator's permission to copy an image belonging to them and post it on Boards.ie.
    • You must also credit the creator of the image if you do get permission

There are a few threads in operation for this event

PLEASE FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH THE FORUM RULES IN THIS LINK

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056531690

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

EC going for a protracted cold spell, possibly the best ensembles I've ever seen for Dublin -

graphe_ens3.php?mode=0&x=117&y=31&run=12&runpara=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Most of those links posted above are giving me a:

Not Found
    The page you requested does not exist on the server.
    Maybe try a search?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's a back trajectory plot for 18Z on Monday evening, showing the source and trajectory of the air that will be at 500 metres above Dublin by then. At 12Z today this air up near Murmansk in northern Russia, at an altitude of around 3000 metres. It will travel some 2500 km over the weekend, starting to descend Sunday morning in the high pressure on its way to Dublin.

442660.gif

Here's today's 12Z sounding for Sojna, right up in that region. At 3000 metres this air is at around -25 °C, dewpoint around -35 °C. Obviously it won't reach us at these figures, but it's interesting to see where it will have come from.

442663.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

442664.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I expect it will come down to the day and hours before to somewhat accurately predict snowfall track and amounts. The bigger falls from around mid week on it would seem with more active disturbances nearby and over us. The only definite's are the extreme cold, severe windchill, steady fresh and at times strong N'Ely / E'ly winds ( will be expecting the highest wind speeds along the E / SE coasts and later S coasts and potential for icy roads/ footpaths especially where snow has melted under the stronger sun at this time of the year. I would imagine the icy winds especially on the Eastern side and coasts/ high ground next week would catch your breath they will feel so cold.

Some very low humidity and dew points.

v5M1cWk.gif?1

tempresult_vuc3.gif

q5UJ3Pf.png

2xaV98u.png

0krkrg9.png

iNsJ7Q7.png

Yeah I know, it's the GFS, but in this case it makes no difference. Just shows how dry the airmass really is. Zero snow over the near continent, the only snow coming from sea convection.

442671.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Thank you sir. I believe a serious increase in the population of snowmen next week.

MT cranium 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is the forecast that I would derive from the current model suite, take this more as a map interpretation than an actual forecast update from me (so not to be cross-posted in forecast thread, if this looks to be on track by morning I may have wording like this in the morning update):

UPDATE __ Friday 23 Feb 2018 __ 9:30 p.m.

Latest guidance continues to emphasize potential for heavy snowfall as well as record cold temperatures for this time of year. The full measure of cold arrives in the east on Monday afternoon and quickly overspreads the country, so temperatures will be falling sharply on Monday night to reach about -7 C inland, -3 C east coast by Tuesday morning. Scattered outbreaks of light snow at first will turn to streamers of heavy snow impacting mostly central Leinster on Tuesday with 5-10 cm potential. Temperatures will struggle to reach 1 or 2 C near the east coast and -1 or zero inland on Tuesday. Tuesday night may be even colder with some lows approaching -10 C in the north and west, -5 C east and south. Heavier snow will develop over larger areas by Wednesday and will continue at least intermittently through Thursday, Friday and Saturday as winds back into the northeast and become quite strong at times (50-80 km/hr). Each day has the potential for 10-20 cm snowfalls in some parts of Leinster and Munster as well as east Ulster, more like 5-10 cm for most of Connacht and Donegal. A few places could have much less snow near the west coast but this is not a certainty. Temperatures during this snowy episode will tend to remain in a narrow range of -1 to -4 C during the snow but if there are clear intervals at night could fall to -10 C or lower. The net effect of the intermittent outbreaks of snow will probably be a peak cover of about 20 to 40 cm over some parts of the inland southeast and Dublin-Meath, and 30 to 50 cm over parts of the east-facing slopes in south Dublin and Wicklow. Combined with the winds and blowing snow, there could be blizzard conditions especially in open areas of central Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

ICON now looking much better compared with earlier. Cold flowing about 100 miles further north directly over Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Comhra wrote: »
    Most of those links posted above are giving me a:

Not Found
    The page you requested does not exist on the server.
    Maybe try a search?

Sorted now , thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could be a bit nippy Wednesday night

icon-1-120.png?23-18

IF YOUR NOT DISCUSSING MODELS OR HAVING A TECHNICAL DISCUSSION , YOUR POST DOES NOT BELONG IN HERE

It does belong here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057844792

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

+114 hours GFS 18z

gfs-13-114_pjc5.png

Oh my!

+120

gfs-13-120_ijn0.png

+126 at 500hpa

gfs-13-126_ucu5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

What's the 500hPa to 850hPa lapse in temp, roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Ok this is getting silly now . Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Could be a bit nippy Wednesday night

Windchill for Wednesday night!

132-290UK_ysf9.GIF

Latest GFS just now has quite a different evolution sending the cold much further north. End result being pretty much the same result for us though usunstable air arriving earlier on Tuesday evening and slightly slacker winds on Wednesday which would give showers longer to intensify over the sea. Interesting to see how the rest of the run plays out

I made up this quick guide to the Skew-T sounding as some have been asking about it.

Basically, the two black curves show the temperature (4) and dewpoint (5) measured by the radiosonde instrument on the weather balloon as it ascends up through the various pressure levels (1). The height of these pressure levels is shown by (2). The blue isotherms (6) are read along the bottom horizontal scale (3).

For snow, if the whole profile (both black curves) are left of the 0-degree isotherm (6), then the whole atmosphere is below zero and of course any precipitation will be snow. But for precipitation we need clouds, and for clouds we need saturation. Saturation is present in layers where the two black curves (temperature and dewpoint) are together. In the case shown, the curves are far apart, so the relative humidity is low and there is no cloud (apart from possibly a shallow layers at around 950 hPa (826 m).

If the bottom part of the black temperature curve is above zero then it all comes down to the depth of that warm layer and also what the dewpoint curve is doing. If this low layer is almost saturated then it's more marginal, and if it's more than about 400 metres deep then snow is unlikely, even if the dewpoint curve is far to the left. The drier this layer the more scope for evaporative cooling and so snow may survive down to lower levels. If the wet-bulb temperature (which is found a bit closer to the temperature curve than the dewpoint curve at low levels) is below around 0.6 °C at the surface then snow is likely. Above that then sleet or rain is likely.

For heavy snow we want to see a deep saturated level, with the 700-900 hPa level somewhere between 0 and - 15 °C (which means a lot of supercooled moisture for making snow). Obviously we want the surface layer to be at a bit below zero.

You can get the latest soundings here.

442680.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The 18Z GFS really ramping up the snowfall chances. They don't call it the pub run for nothing! Just a taster for Friday

prectypeuktopo.png

• Advertisement

Sorry for another question, but I find it hard to figure out why this setup on Monday AM/PM isn't forecast to provide lake effect snow.

Temperature is around -10 at 850, sea is around 7c. 17 difference, check.
    Easterly wind - check.
    Long sea fetch from Liverpool westwards - check.

I thought maybe something to do with geopotential thickness as others have long said that 528dm is the magic number - but that seems to have gone out the window since GFS shows above that until Wednesday yet heavy snow is predicted.

What gives?

69-7UK.GIF?23-18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

sdanseo wrote: »
    Sorry for another question, but I find it hard to figure out why this setup on Monday AM/PM isn't forecast to provide lake effect snow.

Easterly wind - check.

I thought maybe something to do with geopotential thickness as others have long said that 528dm is the magic number - but that seems to have gone out the window since GFS shows above that until Wednesday yet heavy snow is predicted.

What gives?

Pressure is to high. It drops as Monday goes on

Easterly wind - check.

What gives?

The problem is the ridge of high pressure. The isobars are curved anticyclonically, so you can be sure there's a great big temperature inversion just above the 850 hPa level. Sure enough, this sounding for that time shows what I mean. Any rising air parcels from the surface will hit this cap and not be able to rise high enough for precipitation to form.

442684.PNG

Later on this inversion gets eroded as the cold upper pool arrives in from the east, so convection can get going to deeper levels.

Pressure is to high. It drops as Monday goes on

Knew I was missing something (need to learn more about why high pressure prevents moisture, but that's for later and in a different thread!)

Edit: And GL answers that too! Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

18z picks up again on the potential snowstorm next Friday the UKMO have hinted at, the whole country affected with 20cm+ across much of the midlands, south and east. Highly unlikely it'll evolve like this but another thing to keep an eye on in what's looking like a very busy week

180-780UK_ous1.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

GFS 18z snow depth chart.

snowdepth_180.jpg?2018022318

Greater depths over eastern Ireland than virtually all of the England/Wales region.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Easterly wind - check.

Judging from easterlies past I would expect mostly cloudy skies with snow grains on the north Leinster coast on Monday.
    The more unstable second half of the week will favour heavier showers with clear breaks in between.
    EDIT: keep an eye on the 500hpa temps, if they get below -40C the showers will really ramp up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Is it accurate that there is no snow along the entire coast?

MidMan25 wrote: »

No, just very low resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

MidMan25 wrote: »

I was about to ask the exact same question!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement