Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Northern Hemisphere Snow Watch

• 28-08-2013 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Yes another watch thread and a snow thread in August but I noticed that the first meaningful pixels of snow cover have appeared over far-eastern Siberia and northern Canada this week, its always interesting watching the cold march westwards towards Europe as the season goes on so its another thing to keep watch over while our on weather remains totally uneventful

Here's today's image, it'll be another month or so before there's any sort of significant snow cover but might as well get the thread started early!

rm.gif

I'll leave the live image here as well which should update every day

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Link...http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Thanks for the post Harps, it will be interesting to watch the march of the Siberian whiteness. It always amazes me how quickly it appears to cover such large swaths of ground so effortlessly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MR PIGGY

SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW. I love this time of year when we begin to watch these treads tirelessly. Bring on the March:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Ahh it's this time of year again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

it looks as there is going to be a clear and cold run in to the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

I hope to God we don't get a repeat of 2010, that was a disaster for me personally, pretty much housebound for 3 weeks solid and then trying to wade through the snow to get supplies every few days. After that event I bought a 4x4 just in case it happened again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Interesting... despite a swift increase in snow-cover earlier in the season this year... we seem to have slowed down compared to the same time 2012... large gains in sea-ice cover though. Then check out the map from this date back in 2010 (3rd image).. both snow & sea-ice are very similar to 2013, right down to the pattern of snow cover leading to the Himalaya, and the North American snow-cover - this excites me, it promotes hope to a snow-addict and raises the 'what if?' question. Of course I don't know what this all means -I'm just an observer - if anyone has a good understanding of such patterns then please comment.

Here's 03rd Nov 2013:
    ims2013307_asiaeurope.gif

Same day last year, 2012:
    ims2012308_asiaeurope.gif

And Finally, 03rd Nov 2010...
    ims2010307_asiaeurope.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Yes,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057012575&page=41
    cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Snow line in Russia is low for this time of year. Agree with you Dopolahpec, just do not think it will be in time this side of xmas. I see it helping us out in Jan/Feb.

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/

That is one of the links for looking at snow cover above.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

2013: A Year of Remarkable Snow Cover Retreat

http://cires.colorado.edu/~aslater/NH_SNOW/

See how this year goes.

Advertisement